What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will an Optus Sim-card work in a phone locked to the Virgin Network?

Parrasque

Juniors
Will an Optus simcard work in a phone locked to Virgin.

Virgin use the optus network, which makes me think that it might.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
No. Locked to a network means just that. Vodafone scab off every network, doesn't mean any different.

Hoggy

Bench
What if I have freetime which allows me to phone other Optus numbers after 8pm for free for 20 mins.

A particular friend is Virgin, they've told me that I can call them for free because they use Optus towers or whatever.

Is this true?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Hoggy said:
What if I have freetime which allows me to phone other Optus numbers after 8pm for free for 20 mins.

A particular friend is Virgin, they've told me that I can call them for free because they use Optus towers or whatever.

Is this true?

Again, no. Same as 5c Virgin2Virgin Txt is not valid for Optus. Don't let people who don't know what they're talking about lead you to believe something they don't even sound sure of... ;-)

Hoggy

Bench
dodge said:
Again, no. Same as 5c Virgin2Virgin Txt is not valid for Optus. Don't let people who don't know what they're talking about lead you to believe something they don't even sound sure of... ;-)

Oh I wasn't stupid enough to try it!

An41

Juniors
Parrasque said:
has anyone tried an optus card in a virgin phone or vice versa?
Yes and it works but that was on my old Siemens MC60(?) dont know if it will these days

aphelion

Juniors
Parrasque said:
has anyone tried an optus card in a virgin phone or vice versa?

I'm using an Optus card in a Vodafone phone and it works.

I just can't access things like Vodafone Live but that doesn't worry me as I wouldn't use it even if I could.

I'm using a fairly recent phone as well, Nokia 3220.

An41

Juniors
aphelion said:
I'm using an Optus card in a Vodafone phone and it works.

I just can't access things like Vodafone Live but that doesn't worry me as I wouldn't use it even if I could.

I'm using a fairly recent phone as well, Nokia 3220.

are you sure its just unlocked, but it still has the vodafone firmware?
Because im 99% sure you cant use another sim besides voda on a vodafone locked phone.

Virgin and optus run off the same network so you can use the optus within the Virgin mobile but I dont know about the newer phones from virgin.

aphelion

Juniors
Not sure to be honest.

I got the phone from a Vodafone store, it has all the Vodafone bits and pieces installed. It may or may not be "locked". I've never had any issues with it, except with the "bells n whistles" stuff that, like I said, I never use anyway.

Arnott

Juniors
Locked to the network, means just that. If you wish to unlock it, you will need to pay an ugly fee.

An41

Juniors
Arnott said:
Locked to the network, means just that. If you wish to unlock it, you will need to pay an ugly fee.
no you dont, you can just buy unlock kits or you can just find a unlocker which will unlock for $25 - $45 (pending on model). DIY is much cheaper

Razor

Coach
Hoggy said:

Is this true?

You can use the Optus promotions with any provider that use the Optus network - freetime, etc. But the specific provider ones must be between the 2 specific providers.

The 20 mins for free after 8pm is an Optus network promotion so can be used with any provider using the Optus network.

Latest posts