What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will he or won’t he get a run?

Dutchy

Immortal
MANLY coach Des Hasler will consider thrusting teenage fullback William Hopoate into the NRL spotlight against the Eels at Parramatta Stadium on Sunday.
Hasler was on Tuesday sweating on a final verdict on injured custodian Brett Stewart.
The 26-year-old had scans on his injured left knee on Tuesday afternoon and is expected to miss at least six weeks.
Stewart suffered the injury blow while courageously tackling Tigers winger Lote Tuqiri in the final minutes of Monday night’s 26-22 loss at the Sydney Football Stadium.
Winger David Williams (collarbone) is also gone for an extended period, possibly 10 weeks, after a pre-match training mishap at Brookvale Oval on Sunday night.

Late Tuesday, Hasler named the experienced Michael Robertson at fullback for the injured Stewart, with Tony Williams moving to the wing and Chris Bailey coming into the centres.
But the coach did admit the option of using the 17-year-old Hopoate is still worth considering.
“It’s a possibility,” Hasler told The Manly Daily of playing Hopoate before naming his team. “We’ll weigh it all up. He’s been training and is available.”
Young Hopoate played in Manly’s 20-12 Toyota Cup win over the Tigers on Monday night.
The Sea Eagles’ under-20s coach David Penna said the 90kg teenager is ready to play in the NRL.
“Will’s a tremendous young kid and he’s done all the hard work,” Penna said.
“I’m sure if Des picks him, he will do a good job for them, absolutely. He played well for us (on Monday) and played well in the trials.”
Robertson said he was also prepared for another spell at fullback. The Scottish flyer spent most of 2009 at fullback while Stewart was both suspended and injured.
“It’s something we’re going to have to deal with,” Robertson said. “I will do whatever Dessie wants.
“If he needs me to do that (play fullback) I’ll do it. Brett just can’t take a trick at the moment. To lose someone the calibre of Brett’s going to be a massive blow, but someone’s going to have to fill in.”
Sea Eagles pair Brent Kite and Kieran Foran will escape suspension after they were charged with grade one careless high tackles from the Tigers clash.
Hasler indicated the club may contest George Rose’s grade four careless high tackle charge. If Manly takes the early plea, Rose will miss Sunday’s match against Parramatta.

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.a...s-young-hopoate-in-contention-for-eels-clash/

Dutchy

Immortal
I really hope Des puts him in. With Stewart and Williams out for extended periods, we CANT have Bailey and T-Rex in the outside backs.

I also think we should try contest the Rose charge. He will be missed verse Parra, not so much vs Newcastle. Go for it.

clipser

Juniors
theres no fuggin way i want bailey in the backline let alone trex... we need to blood hoppa

eagles4eva

First Grade
I will triple that, win or loose lets blood the young fella, he is signed to a long term contract and is the future of the club...

I really hope he gets a run

eagles4eva

First Grade
I remember a centre back in the eighties David Ronson ( i think thats his name) he was 16 or 17?? Young Hoppa would have to be close to youngest player???

Last edited:

caspersparks

Juniors
i dont care if we get our arse handed to us every week.. he HAS to put will hoppa in.. its pretty clear we cant have robbo there for 5 months, he isnt a fullback..

"ill" will is the future...

aussies1st

Staff member
Definitely time to play him, the fact you guys have Bailey at centre thoroughly backs that up.

SRB_SEA_EAGLE

Juniors
i think we need to either play hoppa at the back , or introduce dean whare as a winger...imo farrer will be the fullback vs parra. On saturday , the sunshine coast eagles play and hodkinson has been named to play...should he not be playing in that game
, i'd say he'd have to be in and the side would look different again.

1. farrer
2. robertson
3. matai
4. lyon
5. whare
6. foran
7. hodkinson

You can swap lyon and foran if you want.

Either way , the only way t-rex wont be playing , is if a debutant plats against parra. if you were a betting man , youd say that dessie doesnt like to change it too much and trex will play , but this is desperate already
....... going 0-4 etc , and then trying it doesnt make sense in my opinion.

If trex runs out as a starter , im worried the glow worms will put 40 on us.
If robbo is at the back and trex is out wide , i might not even watch.

andrew057

First Grade
Isnt it true Manly won 9 from 9 last season when Stewart was injured?

Either way, I hope Parra smash you cocky bastards.

cupid

Juniors
Isnt it true Manly won 9 from 9 last season when Stewart was injured?

Either way, I hope Parra smash you cocky bastards.
Cocky? pretty sure you are talking about Melbourne.

Anyway I think Will can handle it physically, he already is bigger than Stewart and his only 17.

Last edited:

tezzah

Juniors
Is there really no other full backs at Manly? How about up in the Sunshine coast?

Sad to see the Snake exit the field in such a bad state. Always makes you wonder whether that is the last we'd see of a player when they've worked hard to get back in to shape and then to exit so early from the game. PJ Marsh also would be in the same boat as are many others... short lived career if anything.

Dutchy

Immortal
We cant use Sunshine Coast players, otherwise Dennis Sandow would have had a run last year. We can however use MANLY contracted players who play for the SCSE.

Dutchy

Immortal
Sunshine Coast are a separate club we have a deal with, the deal allows us to send a certain number of our reserves to play for them. It is more of a foot in the door for signing talent.

Latest posts