What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will it come down to keeping Joey or Kurt?

Who do we keep

• Joey?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kurt?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

roopy

Referee
I just read an article that said the first approach has been made by the Knights management to Joey's manager about signing him for 2005.
The same article made the point that Kidley, Tahu and Woolnough all come up for new contracts at the same time.

IMO, Kurt will establish himself as a star next season and we will need to come up with some serious money to keep him for 2005 and beyond.

It could very well come down to a decision on keeping Johns for just one more season and letting Kurt go, or keeping Kurt and letting Johns go to England.

Which way would you go?

Johns for 2 or 3 years is a better prospect than Kurt for 10. The best reserve graders of 2001 were let go and none of the 20 year old back prospects deserve a signing over the current crop.

roopy

Referee
Danish Moo Cow said:
Johns for 2 or 3 years is a better prospect than Kurt for 10. The best reserve graders of 2001 were let go and none of the 20 year old back prospects deserve a signing over the current crop.
We also let the best prospects go in 2002 (Morris, Ale, Tupou and even Lantry).
I think one of the best things we have done this year is we seem to have tied up the best young guys, although I'd love to know how Ennis stands now that we seem likely to keep Quigley.
If I were Ennis, I'd go.

Ennis still has at least one more year to pay dues. Quigley has a good work rate, but he's a bit wasted on the bench. He seems to like a full game to just the filling-in. He might take a chance on a lower rated team.

The Tigers need someone like him.

Doctor

Bench
Kurt Gidley has a long way to go to be better than Johns. This is no reflection on Gidley's abilities, but every reflection on how far ahead Johns is.

Johns as the contract for as long as he wants it as far as I'm concerned - I only hope he maintains his motivation to play longer than just a couple more years. Injuries play a big role - I wouldn't blame him for leaving, but I can't see him becoming a liability at all.

He has the nod, Gidley will probably hang around anyway, and hopefully with both players there the Knights will maintain a strong side for a few seasons yet.

antonius

Coach
I'd be going Johns, Gidley still has to prove that he can perform week in week out in first grade, he is at the moment a very hot and cold prospect. He has some good games intermixed with some very ordinary ones, the next couple of weeks should indicate just how valid Kurts claims are.

Anonymous

Juniors
antonius said:
I'd be going Johns, Gidley still has to prove that he can perform week in week out in first grade, he is at the moment a very hot and cold prospect. He has some good games intermixed with some very ordinary ones, the next couple of weeks should indicate just how valid Kurts claims are.

ETU2Antonio.... Kidley is a btter footballer than you are typist... but its fairly obvious Johns is miles ahead of ANY half back. What claims? Kidley just does the job - doesnt make any claims to fame like yourself!

chinorocks

Juniors
I think Kennedy will probably retire at the end of his contract (also end of next season) which will free up heaps of money. Therefore I think we could probably afford to keep both joey and Kurt, providing they both want to stay.

princess plj

Juniors
i would not be gettign rid of joey any time soon.......unless his injury prevents him from playing he still has plenty left in him to play.....sure kidley is learning and having a good trot and the moment but look at johns he is still the best there is...give him a few more years and let kidley keep learning from the master and when joey finally hangs up the boots kurt will be ready and slot into the 1/2 role with ease.

Leasha

Juniors
It's a really difficult decision because we have to pick between two fantastic players. Obviously, keeping Joey has the obvious advantage of allowing us to utilise the talent of the greatest player in the world, however in a few years time, when he is looking at retirement, we will be needing a replacement for halfback, and at the moment Kidley looks like prime material. It really comes down to a question about whether we want to win either now or in the future. For me personally, I'd have to go with for the present - we still dont know how brilliant Kidley is going to shape up to be, and although he has played well the last few weeks, he still has a long way to go to being an influence as great as Joey upon the Knights team! :D :D

Latest posts