What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Kikau take a hit up in his own half? And other grand final questions..

think he was a 3rd stringer and an origin time gap filler for cowboys, doubt any other team would have signed a 5 foot nothing fullback

He started his career at the Sydney Roosters in its SG Ball squad before siging for the Gold Coast Titans in 2012. He played one first grade game for the Titans in 2013 in Round 17 that and was released at the end of 2014 after spending all of 2014 in the NYC.

In 2015 Hughes signed with the Townsville Blackhawks in the Qld Intrust Super Cup. After being named the club's player's player, and Fullback of the Year for the Qld Intrust Super Cup, he signed a 1 year deal with the North Queensland Cowboys for 2016. He played his only NRL game for the cowboys in Round 12 of 2016. He otherwise played Qld Cup and was again named Qld Cup Fullback of the year.

Hughes signed a 2 year deal with the Storm commencing in 2017.

mxlegend99

Referee
Will the selectors again choose a "big name" to win the Clive Churchill Medal and thus give it to Cameron Smith or Nathan Cleary regardless of how well they perform on the field during the game, ala Jonathan Thurston in 2015?
Clearly Isaah Yeo is going go win it... Kinda tempted to throw 20 bucks on him.

But then you just know its a spine player no matter what. I think one of the Cams will get it even if Storm lose.

Someguy

First Grade
He started his career at the Sydney Roosters in its SG Ball squad before siging for the Gold Coast Titans in 2012. He played one first grade game for the Titans in 2013 in Round 17 that and was released at the end of 2014 after spending all of 2014 in the NYC.

In 2015 Hughes signed with the Townsville Blackhawks in the Qld Intrust Super Cup. After being named the club's player's player, and Fullback of the Year for the Qld Intrust Super Cup, he signed a 1 year deal with the North Queensland Cowboys for 2016. He played his only NRL game for the cowboys in Round 12 of 2016. He otherwise played Qld Cup and was again named Qld Cup Fullback of the year.

Hughes signed a 2 year deal with the Storm commencing in 2017.

that’s a long time in the wilderness! The rise of Hughes and papenhuzen and JAC (couldn’t get run over Jordan rankin from memory) certainly asks some questions of other teams talent scouts

Take your pick:

Take my pick of 0 hit ups in that clip.

Of the 8 times he took the ball in his own half, none were hit ups, out in the backline running hard. Arguably the first break against Cronulla was the only one he wasn’t in the back line running at backs. Although I wouldn’t expect genuine hit ups to be in a highlight reel even if he does them.

I’ve genuinely can’t recall seeing him take a hit up in his own half into the teeth of the defence in the middle. It’s not his thing. He’s an absolute weapon though and I’d love to have him in my team. Even if he only runs at backs all day he’s the most devastating player that does it. And he could win Penrith a GF for doing it. Good luck to him.

So, will he take a hit up in his own half in the GF... time will tell.

"Kikau only takes hit-ups close to the line"

Qj4Vf5A.jpeg

tenor.gif

no name

Coach

Of the 8 times he took the ball in his own half, none were hit ups, out in the backline running hard. Arguably the first break against Cronulla was the only one he wasn’t in the back line running at backs. Although I wouldn’t expect genuine hit ups to be in a highlight reel even if he does them.

I’ve genuinely can’t recall seeing him take a hit up in his own half into the teeth of the defence in the middle. It’s not his thing. He’s an absolute weapon though and I’d love to have him in my team. Even if he only runs at backs all day he’s the most devastating player that does it. And he could win Penrith a GF for doing it. Good luck to him.

Fancy Kikau/Panthers playing a game based on his strengths.
Imagine wearing out one of your main attacking players by using him as a bettering ram in your own half.
Quite a strange criticism of him.

betcats

Referee

Dumb merkin. I still remember him making Frizzel his bitch.

soc123_au

Staff member
Imagine wearing out one of your main attacking players by using him as a bettering ram in your own half.
Crazy isn't it. Any wonder Ivan got coach of the year for coming up with such a masterful plan to utilize the big unit.

Its not a criticism - simply put hit ups aren't in his job description. They generally save him til he can either run at backs in space or close to the line - when he's at his most dangerous. All the other forwards, and the back three will do the heavy-lifting to get him in that position, which is good for the team. And they're in the GF. There's no player that can run "downhill" (as I call it) as good as him.