What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will NRL reap rewards for game?

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I dunno if this has been asked before but say the game is a huge succuss and I mean HUGE (which it will probably be) does the NRL stand to make a decent profit. I expect they will be paid some money for their license and such but does anyone know an approximate figure?

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I kinda feel sorry for the NRL at the moment. I mean u have the rah rahs swimming in money when it's blatently obvious league is the better game. TV ratings are through the roof yet the game is being short changed by nine when you compare TV rights of the NRL with that of the AFL. I know AFL has additional markets but Sydney is the biggest market in Australia.

Also you check out TV ratings and remeber back to the double international league and union had earlier this year. League blew union away in ratings yet union almost tripled the crowd figure at stadium australia. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hope the NRL makes alot of money from this game and other areas just so the NRL remains strong and doesn't keep on losing ground to yawnion and AFL.

Big Bunny

Juniors
I believe that rugby league in general will benefit from the games release. Although the licensing fee might not help to a great extent, I feel that the exposure of the code to new areas and new fans will be the major boost. When ARL 96 was released it allowed people in non RL nations to play the game, become familar with the rules and perhaps get enough of a thirst that they would seek out more information about the sport. The internet was nowhere near as popular back then as it is today though and that is a major factor as to how the code has again been spreading its wings. ARL 96 was quite a popular game in Russia where there are now an estimated 10,000 registered players. A game such as this one could be one of the most important tools in expanding the code that rugby league has.

Bulldog_Marc

Juniors
Tidus_Raider said:
I kinda feel sorry for the NRL at the moment. I mean u have the rah rahs swimming in money when it's blatently obvious league is the better game..

What do you base your statement on?? I like union and I like league but I do like this statement A bad game of union is worse then a bad game of league but a great game of union is better then a great game of league

Dragon

Coach
I think i might benefit from this release. Thinking about pre-ordering a few copies, then selling some on e-bay for an inflated price. Worked with GTA-VC :)

In-goal

Bench
What do you base your statement on?? I like union and I like league but I do like this statement A bad game of union is worse then a bad game of league but a great game of union is better then a great game of league

Oh Yeah RightO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

onion better than League :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Bulldog_Marc said:
Tidus_Raider said:
I kinda feel sorry for the NRL at the moment. I mean u have the rah rahs swimming in money when it's blatently obvious league is the better game..

I base my statement on a personal opinion. More skill, greater speed, not stop-start, free-flowing, not controlled by referees, better defence. Is that enough of a reason? No? Well then start a poll and get others opinions.

When was the last great Yawnion game. Leagues was a week ago. The GF. Did you catch that? No? What about Warriors V Raiders. Another great game. Missed that too?

The fact is more onion games are decided by referees and goalkicking then by the players who are supposed to control the games.

I'm getting sick of this. I didn't open this thread to discuss union because quite frankly its boring. But if you wish to do so go ahead. Just do it in the Onion forum.

Bulldog_Marc

Juniors
Tidus_Raider said:
Bulldog_Marc said:
Tidus_Raider said:

I base my statement on a personal opinion. More skill, greater speed, not stop-start, free-flowing, not controlled by referees, better defence. Is that enough of a reason? No? Well then start a poll and get others opinions.

When was the last great Yawnion game. Leagues was a week ago. The GF. Did you catch that? No? What about Warriors V Raiders. Another great game. Missed that too?

The fact is more onion games are decided by referees and goalkicking then by the players who are supposed to control the games.

I'm getting sick of this. I didn't open this thread to discuss union because quite frankly its boring. But if you wish to do so go ahead. Just do it in the Onion forum.

Ok now you made me say it first of the bat union is a non-stop game rugby league isn’t what happens when you get tackled in league I'm sure the game stops they play the ball then it goes on and on, in union a player gets tackled then they must release the ball and so on.

So you tell which is more stop and start??

I am not even going start talking about which is better in this aspect and that cause each game has different skill sets.

Ok now lets look at the comps in each code

Rugby league has NRL union has the club level rugby: League wins this in Australia ONLY!!
Rugby union has the Super 12 rugby League has: umm. Nothing union wins this one
Rugby union has the tri-nations rugby League has: umm..??? Nothing union wins another one
Rugby union has the 6 nations rugby League has: umm..??? Nothing union 3-1 rugby so far
Rugby union has the REAL world cup rugby League has: umm..??? a world cup that is shit union wins this one
Rugby union has the more international competitiveness rugby League has: umm..??? Nothing union wins this one

Umm lets see 6-1

Only 3 countries play League @ a decent level and only Aust has any chance of winning soooo boring

That is just a brief list as you can see rugby is a better game but I still love league but it isn’t the be all and end all

ball boy

Bench
Rugby union has the more international competitiveness rugby League has: umm..??? Nothing union wins this one
Yeah 45-17 heapz close
61-18 yeah thats a close match
72-6 yep real competitive
84-6 another real close match
70-7 and 41-10 more close matches :roll: :roll: :roll:

mate u r a goose go back 2 your onion forums

Bulldog_Marc

Juniors
ball boy said:
Yeah 45-17 heapz close

ok ok tell me wot the England v's South Africa goin be like?? or Australia v's Ireland do you want me to start on the finals compared to the league one??

carefull nnow are I might ask you to Tell me a single game in the League world cup that was close.

so mate you r an idiot go run along and play with yourself

c_eagle

Juniors
Bulldog_Marc said:
ball boy said:
Yeah 45-17 heapz close

ok ok tell me wot the England v's South Africa goin be like?? or Australia v's Ireland do you want me to start on the finals compared to the league one??

England vs south africa will be an absoloute thrashing, the Brits will win by a cricket score. Australia vs Ireland is going to be the most dour affair. Why are you speculating for the future, he has mentioned games that have already happened not that he is HOPING to happen. The world cup is overhyped and borders on farcical. The public has been conned.

I dont know what your trying to get at by saying that RU has a super 12 and Australia don't, after all, we said no to that kind of crap in 1997, we like our domestic league. Rugby League is the superior code, the game is in play for a large portion of the 80 minutes unlike RU where you have scrum after penatly after scrum after penalty goal. Rucks and Mauls are the most attrotious thing in the world to watch and the game stops every second maul, unlike league where in stops for 1-2 seconds, it stops for 2 minutes for a scrum, a collapsed scrum, a free kick etc. etc. etc. Union doesn't exist in this country below the international level and the fact that 3 million people went to watch the NRL week in week out shows that we have the goods at any level.

Bulldog_Marc

Juniors
c_eagle said:
Bulldog_Marc said:
ball boy said:
Yeah 45-17 heapz close

England vs south africa will be an absoloute thrashing, the Brits will win by a cricket score. Australia vs Ireland is going to be the most dour affair. Why are you speculating for the future, he has mentioned games that have already happened not that he is HOPING to happen. The world cup is overhyped and borders on farcical. The public has been conned.

I dont know what your trying to get at by saying that RU has a super 12 and Australia don't, after all, we said no to that kind of crap in 1997, we like our domestic league. Rugby League is the superior code, the game is in play for a large portion of the 80 minutes unlike RU where you have scrum after penatly after scrum after penalty goal. Rucks and Mauls are the most attrotious thing in the world to watch and the game stops every second maul, unlike league where in stops for 1-2 seconds, it stops for 2 minutes for a scrum, a collapsed scrum, a free kick etc. etc. etc. Union doesn't exist in this country below the international level and the fact that 3 million people went to watch the NRL week in week out shows that we have the goods at any level.

Ok I got to ask u how many games of rugby u ever watched not much I guess there will be no cricket score in the Eng vs. SA I can tell u that much but that one single game brings more excitement then the whole league world cup.

O by the way have you seen how many people went to watch the super 12 fool?? I guess not I can tell you it was more then 3 mil in Australia.

And Australia didn't decide that we just wanna keep the game here, it was that fact that IT WASNT MAKING ANY MONEY YOU IDIOT and it shows that RL doesn't have the right stuff outside Australia (sorry NZ as well) learn some facts before saying anything Junior

c_eagle

Juniors
Bulldog_Marc said:
c_eagle said:
Bulldog_Marc said:
ball boy said:
Yeah 45-17 heapz close

Ok I got to ask u how many games of rugby u ever watched not much I guess there will be no cricket score in the Eng vs. SA I can tell u that much but that one single game brings more excitement then the whole league world cup.

O by the way have you seen how many people went to watch the super 12 fool?? I guess not I can tell you it was more then 3 mil in Australia.

And Australia didn't decide that we just wanna keep the game here, it was that fact that IT WASNT MAKING ANY MONEY YOU IDIOT and it shows that RL doesn't have the right stuff outside Australia (sorry NZ as well) learn some facts before saying anything Junior

LOL. You need to learn the facts, your telling me that in 18 games of Sewer 12 in Australia, 3 million people went to watch? Thats an average of 166 thousand, yeh, my facts are wrong. :roll:

The super 12 ratings were pathetic, channel seven dropped the coverage all together from free-to-air while it was a record year in ratings for league. The public can and will suport rugby league for 32 weeks of the year. Add to that the fact that Cowboy games on Fox outrated the Waratah games, the only Waratah game that rated half well was the match against QLD. These are the facts.

I don't know what you based your guesses on but stop dealing in things you don't understand.

Bulldog_Marc

Juniors
stop pullin shit from your ass I will agree it was a good yr for RL and me is happy bout that cause i like league but every Super 12 game was sold out and mate learn how to spell super. and secondly Foxtel bought the rights to super 12 not channel 7 dumbed it

c_eagle

Juniors
Bulldog_Marc said:
stop pullin sh*t from your ass I will agree it was a good yr for RL and me is happy bout that cause i like league but every Super 12 game was sold out and mate learn how to spell super. and secondly Foxtel bought the rights to super 12 not channel 7 dumbed it

Your getting down to pulling me up for spelling? You must have nothing left. Every super 12 game was sold out? I don't even think one game was sold out in Australia this year, maybe the NSW game vs QLD. Channel seven have the rights to Rugby in this country and are allowed to show Super 12 games 1 hour after their conclusion on cable. Mate, just get your facts right, you have completely lost all credibility. As I said, how could 3 million people watch the Super 12 in this country when every there was only 18 games? Why can't you just admit that your wrong.

ive made an attempt to get caught in the hype of the world cup but i just cant....the one thing i see as bringing down union is 3 point penalties - RUINS THE GAME. reason being that games are won and lost sometimes over how many penalties won/conceeded and converted into points - this is more stupid than a penalty shoot-out in soccer ...except in soccer there is no other option (because you cant keep playing all night until somebody scores). tell me - who wants to see a game won this way (talking about union again), and who wouldn't want to see teams attacking the line a bit more and some solid defense on the line?

Bulldog_Marc

Juniors
I Bent my Wookie said:
ive made an attempt to get caught in the hype of the world cup but i just cant....the one thing i see as bringing down union is 3 point penalties - RUINS THE GAME. reason being that games are won and lost sometimes over how many penalties won/conceeded and converted into points - this is more stupid than a penalty shoot-out in soccer ...except in soccer there is no other option (because you cant keep playing all night until somebody scores). tell me - who wants to see a game won this way (talking about union again), and who wouldn't want to see teams attacking the line a bit more and some solid defense on the line?

I do agree a bit with you there