What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Papenhuyzen be better than Slater?

Danish

Referee
Pap needs to get the curlers into the mullet to really seal the deal.

I’m looking forward to NSW’s all fullback backline in origin this year:

teddy
Pap
Turbo
Latrell
Gutho

hell even wighton started out a fullback

Generalzod

Immortal
Is he better than Jack Slater...

davi

Juniors
I hope Paps has a long and successful career.

Something I would never say about studs up Slater.

Billy Slater made a mistake with the on field depression sledge. But I remember reading in another article that Slater said his sledge was not intended as taking a dig at Cory Paterson mental health issues. Slater apologised for the comment and so he should.

Slater rap sheet though over his career is actually very good. I'm not sure why people are just taking this one incident and suggesting Slater is not a very nice person. Its not as he has a long history of incidents like Todd Carney or Benny Barber. I also think the incident is not really relevant to the thread topic discussion.

mave

Coach
Billy Slater made a mistake with the on field depression sledge. But I remember reading in another article that Slater said his sledge was not intended as taking a dig at Cory Paterson mental health issues. Slater apologised for the comment and so he should.

Slater rap sheet though over his career is actually very good. I'm not sure why people are just taking this one incident and suggesting Slater is not a very nice person. Its not as he has a long history of incidents like Todd Carney or Benny Barber. I also think the incident is not really relevant to the thread topic discussion.

Thanks for your input Billy.

Care to explain the numerous contracts , or the sliding feet first into players ?

Eion

First Grade

teddy
Pap
Turbo
Latrell
Gutho

I’m not, a disaster in origin last year.

I love gutho, but f**k him unless both teddy and pap are injured and he’s playing fullback.

aqua_duck

Coach
Is really hard to say, firstly Slater didn't come into a wildly successful system, he was part of the core group that helped build that successful system, Papi came into an already powerhouse team.
The big thing about Slater was longevity, look at guys like Hayne and Ben Barba they were much better at a young age than Slater, you probably argue Milford was too Slater was able to maintain a certain level of consistency for 15 years, not many fullbacks have been able to do that.

davi

Juniors
yeah definitely. Slater was fighting it out with Clinton Schifcofske and Reece Wesser for the QLD fullback spot at the same stage of their careers. I don't know if Paps will be better but he's developed faster than Slater did.

From memory Billy Slater was dropped from Queensland in 2005 as fullback after game 2. It really was stupid decision, and certainly Slater was not warranted in being dropped. But QLD selectors were looking for answers in the wrong places. And were itching to give Matty Bowens his chance at fullback after playing on the bench as a utility. The move backfired and Queesnland were crushed by Andrew Johns and NSW in game 3.

Karmichael Hunt kept Slater out for a while also, until Slater returned after a couple of years in 2008. In hindsight it may have been a good thing. It got Slater to work hard to get back into the team and take his game to a new level. You are correct that Clinton Schicofske did get the spot for one of the games in the series in Slaters exile. Rhys Wesser was selected for Queensland at fullback when Slater made his debut at wing in 2004. Wesser wouldn't last long though, the knock on him was he couldn't be trusted under the high ball.

Last edited:

teddy
Pap
Turbo
Latrell
Gutho

We have a paradise of fullback options. If only we had the same in halves.

To the thread question..

Slater arguably changed the nature of the fullback position. Actually, he did. It may well have developed that way in time anyway but what Slater did is the reason that the current crop of fullbacks are such attacking weapons..

Will pap be better? Possibly. But Slater will always be the “first”.

I honestly think that Latrell Mitchell has the ability to be the best fullback in terms of attacking capability. Another season under his belt... he could be anything.

I think while Tedesco is an outstanding fullback, what we’ve seen from Tedesco is the best he is, and will be. He’s the top of the tree at the moment but others have further room to grow.

For mine if I was rating Slater inclusive of the current crop of fullbacks I’d go...

1 - Slater
2 - Tedesco
3 - Papenhuyzen
4 - Tuivasa-Scheck
5 - Trbojevic
6 - Mitchell
7 - Gutherson

Of these, Mitchell is the guy who has the most potential to be absolutely anything. He’s the one who could be the all-time no1. In my opinion anyway..

I figure it this way, if my team is taking on any team with those fullbacks, who would I fear most. It’s Mitchell.. even now.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Also age and when one might take over the kangaroos jersey from the other
This year age

Papa 23
Mitchell 24
Gutho 27
Tedesco 28

Nsw and Roos jersey will be teddys barring injury for next two years then we will have Mitchell and papa battling for the Roos #1 jersey by 2023. Gutho is the one who will miss out on rep honours on current predictions.