What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Storm make the 'top eight'?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
For anyone who cares, the Storm's loss to the Warriors has them anchored on nine wins and two byes. That's 22 points if they were not caught cheating.

They are currently clinging onto a theoretical top eight spot with four other teams on nine wins, and the Eels and Rabbitohs on eight wins and breathing down their neck. The Knights are not far away either. With seven weeks to go before the semis, there is a log jam building up for eighth position.

I know some will argue that they would have won more if they had real points to play for, but one would think they should at be able scrape more wins together as a matter of pride for themselves and their fans. Plus they threw everything at the Warriors yesterday but were simply outplayed.

However, if we are the entertain the notion that they are playing with pea hearts, then we are perhaps seeing a Storm outfit that more resembles a team that has hasn't cheated the cap.

I suggested early in the year that if the Storm didn't have an illegal squad, ie less stars in their team, they would struggle to make the eight. It seems that they are proving this to be case.

Stagger Lee

Bench
As the year drags on and the 'fab four' get caught up in contract talks it could well be that they miss out on the theoretical top eight spot. But I question if this would be a good thing. The more they beat the Panthers / Wests / Titans the more chance we have of resting players before the finals AND still win the league. ;-)

SerbDragon

Coach
Willow i was studying just that yesterday looking at the ladder, I was going to bring it up however as usual you are on the ball. I consider it an embarrassment considering the player roster they have.

Also I'm hoping the following happens,

Penrith to play the storm next week in melbourne, I'd like a storm win. (very possible)
Tigers to play the cowboys followed by manly next week, Hopefully they drop one of those games.. manly i would say. (also very possible)
Dragons to play the titans at Kogarah next week. If we win, and the tigs drop 1, and the pennies drop 1, we go to 6 points clear.

That my friend, is whats called sitting pretty. Here's hoping ay

BigNormProvan

Juniors
Great sign in the crowd at the Warriors game "WORLDS MOST EXPENSIVE WOODEN SPOON"

Great form by the Warrior fans :)

Big Norm

MightyRedV04

Juniors
Theoretically they would be sitting in 5th spot at the moment with a points for and against of +74 , 6th place would be Manly on +56. Both of these teams will move down 1 spot if the Roosters beat the Bulldogs today. There are still 7 weeks to go and I still expect the Storm to probably win more than they lose from here on in. 4/7 wins would put them on 30 points and possibly theoretically finishing 5th-7th position

The Storms run home is :

Panthers (H)... Lose
Raiders (H).... Win
Sea Eagles (A) .... Lose
Souths (H)..... ? could go either way
Sharks (H).... Win
Tigers (A).... ? could go either way
Knights (H).... Win

Guess it is natural to look at how other game outcomes will effect us on the ladder but rather concentrate on the games we can determine an outcome in. Other results only matter when your fighting for a top 8 spot come finals time.

_Johnsy

Referee
Willow

No I dont care, and by the way from memory next time I think its my shout for the 1st round. October 3 sound ok.

Bath's Babes

Juniors
i think they've played crap because they dont care anymore. look how many games they've lost since origin finished.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
i think they've played crap because they dont care anymore.
Firstly, I didn't think they played crap against the Warriors. They threw everything at them but the Warriors were too good on the day. It'll be Storm's excuse everytime they lose, and typically not giving any credit to the opposition.

Secondly, aren't the Storm are supposed to be playing for charity or something? Every time they win a donation is made. Looked like a stunt to me, but they backed it. Funny how their supporters have forgottten.

Bath's Babes said:
look how many games they've lost since origin finished.
Two?

big pat

Coach
Firstly, I didn't think they played crap against the Warriors. They threw everything at them but the Warriors were too good on the day. It'll be Storm's excuse everytime they lose, and typically not giving any credit to the opposition.

Secondly, aren't the Storm are supposed to be playing for charity or something? Every time they win a donation is made. Looked like a stunt to me, but they backed it. Funny how their supporters have forgottten.

Two?

melbourne are cheating scum who cares, now more importantly, same time, same place friday night willow.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Won't someone think of the charity?

"Points with a Purpose". Whoever they are.

Yeah I'll be there on Friday Pat.

Mr Red

First Grade
For anyone who cares, the Storm's loss to the Warriors has them anchored on nine wins and two byes. That's 22 points if they were not caught cheating.

They are currently clinging onto a theoretical top eight spot with four other teams on nine wins, and the Eels and Rabbitohs on eight wins and breathing down their neck. The Knights are not far away either. With seven weeks to go before the semis, there is a log jam building up for eighth position.

I know some will argue that they would have won more if they had real points to play for, but one would think they should at be able scrape more wins together as a matter of pride for themselves and their fans. Plus they threw everything at the Warriors yesterday but were simply outplayed.

However, if we are the entertain the notion that they are playing with pea hearts, then we are perhaps seeing a Storm outfit that more resembles a team that has hasn't cheated the cap.

I suggested early in the year that if the Storm didn't have an illegal squad, ie less stars in their team, they would struggle to make the eight. It seems that they are proving this to be case.

you have not taken into consideration the mental factor at all... anyone who knows anything about the game all suggested that after the origin series was completed and the storm players had nothing else to play for, you would see a decline in their form and intensity.. and thats exactly what has happened.
add to that the uncertainty of where a lot of the players will be playing next season and its no wonder they arent the storm we are used to seeing week in week out.
i think had the cap rorts not been detected then there is no doubt that the storm would be sitting pretty in the top four and still favourites for the title...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
you have not taken into consideration the mental factor at all...anyone who knows anything about the game all suggested that after the origin series was completed and the storm players had nothing else to play for, you would see a decline in their form and intensity.. and thats exactly what has happened.
add to that the uncertainty of where a lot of the players will be playing next season and its no wonder they arent the storm we are used to seeing week in week out.
Mental factor? You mean like the club being caught with their hands in the till?

I think they should count their lucky stars that they haven't been expelled from the competition. The players would be in limbo for starters, both financially and legally.

Yes that would leave a mental scar.

But that hasn't happened. Instead, they have been given the opportunity to step up.

Sorry, but I see a team of players that have been paid to do a job - and they are being paid well. I can't feel pity for their position.

Despite all the drama, they still have their jobs and committments to shareholders, including their supporters.

Are they professionals or not?
Mr Red said:
i think had the cap rorts not been detected then there is no doubt that the storm would be sitting pretty in the top four and still favourites for the title...
Guesswork.

But even so, they would be cheating. The fact is they got caught, and are a little unsettled by it all. The result is that are struggling, just as they would be if they didn't cheat in the first place and found themselves with less star players.