What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the kiwis get the respect they deserve?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I've always thought that the achievments of the kiwis over the last 10 years have been ignored or written off as weakened Australian teams and other nonsense. After today will people finally give this team respect? In my opinion they have class all over the park and regularly play all over Australia.

The reason Origin has picked up so much recently is because NSW can no longer say "Qld won that series by fluke, we're still better". NSW were embarrassed after 8 losses in a row and origin is now at a pitch that wont die away for a long time.

Im not sure this game will be enough, but this kind of Kiwi dominance is what needs to happen before the Aussie fans drop the complacency that is holding the international game back.

Scubby

Juniors
Like 7 or 8 of them

So which 8 of this 17 from last years' 4N final will not be playing Origin during the series?

Inglis
Mansoor
Jennings
Walker
Matau'tia
Cherry-Evans
Cronk
Woods
Smith
Papali
Thaiday
Bird
Parker

Cordner
Hunt
Jackson
Klemmer

Last edited:

Scubby

Juniors
Its cute how Poms think because NZ is beating Australia regularly now, that they will too.

Yeah amazing that. The last four games between England and Aus or NZ have been 8 point, 2 point, 4 point and 2 point defeats. We should give up.

Pedge1971

First Grade
This. The Kiwis played with heart, spirit and skill. They were just too good. We have had that magnificent Qld Origin team to build a national team on but the alarm bells should have rung last year.

Great thing about today is test footy os now greater than Origin. Thankyou New Zealand.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Um. They probably should have last year. It's cute you think we just have to show up to win. A few of the players did as well.....

Bronco Rob

Juniors
I know its treachery but I actually started barracking for the Kiwis for quite a few reasons. They played a better brans of footy and the ARL have become so arrogant and this showed in their team selection, one that didn't have any thoughts towards the next WC and one that wasn't picked on form. The Kangaroos were simply outclassed, the Kiwis were getting second phase play, playing expansive footy, their goal line defence was incredible where the Aussies apart from Parker had nothing, they were so negative at times in attack.

Last edited:

hutch

First Grade
Hey at least everyone is talking international rugby league for a change. Even if it brings out some of the worst in people!

wests1

Juniors
Well I think the answer to my original question is an emphatic 'yes'. On the Matty Johns show, NRL 360 and the Back Page, presenters all made a point of saying that we need to show this Kiwi side respect. Even that plodder James Hooper said that they are now hands down the best RL team on earth!!!
Just on that note, to have Hooper and , dare I say it, PAUL KENT say that they now accept that Internationals are good for the game (even if Kent's was begrudging). Could we possibly be seeing real momentum in terms of exposure of the international game?

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Well I think the answer to my original question is an emphatic 'yes'. On the Matty Johns show, NRL 360 and the Back Page, presenters all made a point of saying that we need to show this Kiwi side respect. Even that plodder James Hooper said that they are now hands down the best RL team on earth!!!
Just on that note, to have Hooper and , dare I say it, PAUL KENT say that they now accept that Internationals are good for the game (even if Kent's was begrudging). Could we possibly be seeing real momentum in terms of exposure of the international game?

Best thing to happen for RL with the Kiwis winning. It will garner more support from the NZ public given that they have a team that can beat the Aussies and hopefully may translate into more exposure for the game over there. It's just a real shame that we don't have a follow-up test for another 12 months. I heard Woods comment that he is spewing that they aren't playing the Kiwis again this year as he wants redemption.

This NZ side is one of the most important rugby league teams of all time. They are spearheading the growth of the international game. They're heroes for our great sport. Australia have been holding the international game back for far too long.

Latest posts