What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willie Mason to take up boxing

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=13250

Mason to take up boxing

Written by: Michael Edgar
April 1st, 2007 07:47 AM

Willie Mason, self proclaimed spokesman for the RLPA, is going to put his money where his mouth is and get in the ring in a bid to emulate the feats of Anthony “The Man” Mundine and take up a career in boxing.

With Mason’s older brother Les just beginning his career as a professional boxer in an undercard bout at the Mundine/Soliman fight last month, Willie is said to be excited by the prospect of being able to beat up his brother and get paid for it.

“For years I was on the receiving end from Les, but now I get a chance to turn the tables and get a stack of hundreds for my trouble. I just hope my mum sides with me instead of Les and the bragging rights alone are worth me taking up boxing.”

Mason will begin his boxing career against former NRL bad boy John Hopoate after the completion of the NRL season. “Folkesy and Noady said I couldn’t put the gloves on while we are stinking it up on the field, but are happy to let me try my hand after the season ends.”

Mason’s manager Greg Keenan, who had Willie try out for the New York Jets was commented on Mason’s aspirations to succeed at boxing saying “If Anthony can win title fights and generate all this publicity, then Willie is certain to create just as much interest, if not more. The only problem I face is trying to talk Wendell out of it. He and Willie are very competitive, but Wendell struggles under the high ball so getting him in the ring may leave me without a client and which businessman in his right mind would want that?”

Hopoate is said to be excited by the prospect of going toe to toe with Mason saying “I’ll warm up with Les (Mason) and then give Willie a lesson in the fine art of having your head reshaped, free of charge!”

:crazy: What an obvious April Fools Day joke lol

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
his brother was recently on the under card for the Mundine/Soliman fight

looked like a pile of blubber wearing boxing gloves

alot of these ex League players end up with a few mismatches to make their career start look better than it actually is

I also heard he was gonna take up ballet dancing

Timmah

Staff member
Yep. I even included some special white text for you Inferno ;-)

stuke

Bench
i realise the date but Willie really needs to get himself out of the media at the moment. he is a walking headline at the moment and he doesn't need April 1st to make an idiot of himself. if i was Folkes or Noad I would be slapping a media ban on Willie.

Timmah

Staff member
Um, this story was created and filed by an LU writer, no contribution of any sort or means by Mason.

stuke

Bench
Timmah said:
Um, this story was created and filed by an LU writer, no contribution of any sort or means by Mason.

i'm aware of that Timmah but with all the other crap that has spewed forth out of his mouth in recent months the bloke is a walking headline and joke.

Timmah

Staff member
stuke said:
i'm aware of that Timmah but with all the other crap that has spewed forth out of his mouth in recent months the bloke is a walking headline and joke.

If you were aware.... why did you say what you said? :sleeper: This story had nothing to do with anybody but the writer at LU who decided to create it as an April Fools joke.

Latest posts