What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willie Tonga signs with Pirtek Parramatta Eels

Parra Guru

Coach
Willie Tonga signs with Pirtek Parramatta Eels
Doug MacDougall - Eels Media

11/08/2011 12:15:04 PM

The Pirtek Parramatta Eels today announced Queensland and Australian Test centre Willie Tonga will join the Club on a two year deal from 2012.
Tonga, 28, will join new Eels 2012 recruits Chris Sandow, Ben Roberts, and his younger brother Esi at the Club after finishing this season with the North Queensland Cowboys.
Pirtek Eels Chief Executive Paul Osborne said Tonga’s signing was an emphatic reflection of the Club’s direction under head coach Stephen Kearney.
“Willie is without doubt one of the best centres in the world and we’re excited he’s decided to return home to the Eels in the prime of his career,” Osborne said.
“When a player of Willie’s calibre is impressed with what we’re building here, it’s a strong sign to everyone we’ve got exciting times ahead of us.
“The re-signings of our young talent such as Jacob Loko, Taniela Lasalo, Mitch Allgood and Ryan Morgan in addition to the players joining us next year suggests our recruitment and retention strategies moving forward are on the right track.”
Osborne praised the North Queensland Cowboys’ handling of Tonga’s departure.
“The professionalism shown by the Cowboys during the negotiation process is a credit to their management,” Osborne said.
Eels coach Stephen Kearney said Tonga would be an enormous boost to a roster which had performed strongly all year, despite a run of close losses crippling the team’s 2011 season.
“Willie is a class player and we’re looking forward to having him here next year,” Kearney said.
“His experience and strike power out wide is an asset any team would love to have, and it’s great to know he’s committed to what we’re building here.
“For the team, our focus remains on finishing the 2011 season strongly, starting with this Saturday against Manly.”

PIRTEK EELS 2011 – NEW SIGNINGS
Willie Tonga, 28 (North Queensland)
Chris Sandow, 22 (South Sydney)
Esi Tonga, 23 (Gold Coast)
Ben Roberts, 26 (Canterbury-Bankstown)
Taulima Toutai, 23 (Cronulla-Sutherland)

RE-SIGNINGS
Jacob Loko, 18
Taniela Lasalo, 21
Mitchell Allgood, 22
Ryan Morgan, 21
Patrick O’Hanlon, 20
Marmin Barba, 20
Rory Brien, 20

http://www.parraeels.com.au/default...illie-tonga-signs-with-pirtek-parramatta-eels

SDM

First Grade
hopefully he has a good off-season and can put some pressure on Ryan Morgan for a centre berth in round 1.

Gronk

Staff member
hopefully he has a good off-season and can put some pressure on Ryan Morgan for a centre berth in round 1.
A few here have said that Karl Filiga is the one to watch. I'd say that he's the only certainty. Tonga x 2, Morgan and Loko will have to rumble for the remaining spot.

Eels Dude

Coach
Nice. I wasn't even aware we were even chasing him. I wonder how the club kept it such a secret.

eel01s

Bench
Good news! Hopefully Willie can stay on the field next year. We need the strikepower out wide that's for sure.

The Omen

Juniors
the 2012 back line is looking so much better

the backline with have more backups in case anyone happens to go down with injury

oldmancraigy

Coach
Yep, he lost all credibility when he paid more than minimum for Poore.

The Poore signing is going to be a hidden blessing halfway through next year.

Don't get me wrong, I like Poore, I think he's a good player and seriously underrated as an outstanding defender and has a very high motor for hitting the ball up - BUT he's getting a lot of cash in a position where we have 4 other good players!

But here's the blessing: because we're paying Poore $350k next season, it means we've had to sign blokes up to fit in around that number - which means we have a "big dollar" amount to throw at a free agent for 2013.
If we can somehow convince Morts to take a flight, that's veritable superstar money we can throw around for 2013!!

[[before anyone starts riding the "backended contract" train - contact the NRL. They do NOT register contracts that contain a significant pay discrepancy between one year and the next]]

The Poore signing is going to be a hidden blessing halfway through next year.

Don't get me wrong, I like Poore, I think he's a good player and seriously underrated as an outstanding defender and has a very high motor for hitting the ball up - BUT he's getting a lot of cash in a position where we have 4 other good players!

But here's the blessing: because we're paying Poore $350k next season, it means we've had to sign blokes up to fit in around that number - which means we have a "big dollar" amount to throw at a free agent for 2013.
If we can somehow convince Morts to take a flight, that's veritable superstar money we can throw around for 2013!!

[[before anyone starts riding the "backended contract" train - contact the NRL. They do NOT register contracts that contain a significant pay discrepancy between one year and the next]]

Morts is off contract in 2013 anyway.

Snoochies

First Grade

Didn't Gasnier sign for peanuts then go onto a decent contract the year after? I may be wrong if someone can clarify.