What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willie wants Petero to captain

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Petero ready to do the job as skipper

Willie Mason | August 12, 2007

I still hold the dream of one day skippering the Kangaroos, but I hope the selectors name Petero Civoniceva as captain for the end-of-season Test against New Zealand.
I have said before that captaining Australia is something that I aspire to and it would be the proudest day of my life if I ever got the chance. But as Petero comes towards the end of his representative career, it would be appropriate for him to have "Kangaroos captain" on his resume.
The injuries to Darren Lockyer and Danny Buderus mean selectors are going to have to appoint a new skipper. We have to think about the future of the captaincy, because after next year's World Cup Locky, Bedsy and Petero are likely to retire from rep footy. Cameron Smith is another guy who's a good leader and will be in contention for the Queensland captaincy with Johnathan Thurston when Lockyer retires.
But as far as I'm concerned, if Petero is fit he should captain Australia. Even though he plays in the front row and tries to smash you when you come up against him, I have nothing but admiration for him. He is a good bloke, one of the true gentlemen of the game. He doesn't say much; he prefers to lead by example. That's why he'd be a deserving choice.
Every time I play for Australia it's a career highlight. It's always special to play for your country. If I ever got the chance to captain the side it would be the greatest thing I'd ever achieve. I'm not sure if I will ever get the chance to do it, but it's something I would love to do. It would be pretty special just to be considered for the job.
At the moment I don't even captain the Bulldogs, and that's fair enough when you've got someone like Andrew Ryan doing such a good job. But I think I would do a good job if they gave it to me down the track.
I've got to say I feel a bit for Bedsy with all the stuff that's going on in Newcastle. I lived there till I was 17 years old so I have a bit of a soft spot for the place. I'd probably even be playing for the Knights now - the only reason I left is because they didn't want any Super League players. So it's pretty tough to see the captain of the Knights, NSW and Australia upset with the state of affairs at Newcastle.
The boys up there are pretty tight and every Novocastrian wants to finish a one-club man. When they don't get that opportunity it hurts them, especially the guys who have been up there for seven or eight years. They have always been a strong, proud club and there's no doubt they will bounce back.
But it's a worry when Danny doesn't seem to be getting on with the coach, because Bedsy never complains about anything. If he's unhappy it means something has really got under his skin.
And, finally, in no way do I condone what Brad Morrin did but I thought he was pretty unlucky to cop an eight-week suspension for biting. Ben Ross broke Kane Cleal's jaw and got only three weeks for it. I reckon "Crusher" would rather get bitten than get his jaw broken.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/wil...-job-as-skipper/2007/08/11/1186530683388.html

yeah good on ya willie, petero is the correct choice imo. he is one of the top 5 most respected players in the game and would lead the roos well. masons time will come, it seems every time when you think "ok, masons ready to be a leader now" he does something that makes you think that maybe hes not. but putting another player over as captain when he was a genuine contender, that just shows that willie is coming into his own, good on him.

beads6

First Grade
This is the best thing big Willie has said since mouthing off during the NZ haka lol. Petro is the obvious and first choic IMO.

I agree with Fast Eddie, even though I am Aussie I believe the kiwis will dominate test footy for a long time.

This is due to the mass of talent they have and the selectors we have picking overrated pieces of sh1t like jamie lyon and co.

Ridders

Coach
until they solve their halves problem, NZ wont be dominating any time soon. Roberts still hasn't proven to be a consistent-good performer, even though he can produce moments of brilliance, and Benji is no where near his peak.

Have to admit though that everything else is looking pretty good for the kiwi's, got some great forwards and backs coming through.

mattyg

Bench
i reckon kiwis might get us in this one off test this year...we'll get them in the world cup though ;-)

Hurriflatch

Referee
the Kiwis also struggle in the halves

even when they had Stacey Jones at halfback 5/8 was a problem

now they have Benji b ut halfback in an issue

the Kiwis haven't had a decent halves COMBINATION since Freeman and Kemp

Matt Damon

Juniors
Kiwis will play Ben Roberts at 5/8 - I am not too sure if that ius a good thing.

Petro is the logical choice for aussie captain

Matt Damon

Dazzat

First Grade
beads6 said:
This is the best thing big Willie has said since mouthing off during the NZ haka lol. Petro is the obvious and first choic IMO.

This is incorrect. Willie has said lots of good things this year. It's just other people have to ask his Mum what he's getting at.

I hear he had to practice for several hours to say "CIV_ON_A_CEVA".

Big Pete

Referee
I'm amazed by Mason.

At last he finally writes something that everyone can agree with.

As for New Zealand dominating International football; I don't see it happening in the near future. However contests will be closer than ever before which can only be a good thing.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I think we will have a VERY good shot at the WC next year. Some of how up and coming stars will be ready by then.

It has to be Pricey.

t-ba

Post Whore
Fast Eddie said:
I think we will have a VERY good shot at the WC next year. Some of how up and coming stars will be ready by then.

It has to be Pricey.

Some halves would be handy.

Latest posts