What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willy Masons Article

Willie Mason
March 11, 2007

AdvertisementAdvertisement

I'VE BEEN fortunate enough to achieve a lot of things in my career. I've been lucky to be with a successful club like the Bulldogs and to have won a competition - one of the best things you can do, from a team perspective.
The NSW side has been successful for the past four or five years and I've been a part of the Test team. But there are still a few personal things I'd like to achieve, and one of them would be to captain my country.
You always wish to play for NSW and Australia, but to captain them would be something else. I haven't even captained the Bulldogs yet so it would be a pretty hard task, but I wouldn't shy away from it.
I'm happy to sit back for the time being, but it's something I have aspirations to do because it's the ultimate thing you can achieve.
If it happens, I'm sure it would be the proudest moment of my life. It already is, every time I pull on that Australian jersey.
I'm not looking to take the job from Darren Lockyer (left) - he's doing great - it's more for down the track. The thing is I'm now part of the leadership group of every team I'm in - NSW, Australia and Canterbury.
Captaining the Dogs is on the to-do list but I'm happy sitting back. Bobcat [Andrew Ryan] does a great job here and we don't believe in all that co-captain crap that some clubs do. We have one bloke who leads us out and a couple of leaders in the team that people look to.
We have five in our leadership group and although Bobcat leads us out and we all listen to him, people also listen to me.
I know if anyone had suggested a few years ago that I would be a leader, people would have laughed. But I have really knuckled down with my football.
I was sick of getting told by people I respect - guys like Steve Folkes and Ricky Stuart - that I've got all this talent and that it was up to me if I wanted to be remembered as a great player or an average player.
I didn't want to look back in 10 years and think I could have done a lot more if I'd cared more.
My attitude is different now. There was a time I was making rep teams and I thought to myself, "I'm not even really putting in". There have been people who have been busting their arse in first grade for 10 years and not getting that chance, and here I was with 10 or 12 Tests and it felt as if the jersey was being given to me. I don't think I really earned it, but I'm earning it now.
You've got to practise what you preach as a leader - you can't go into team meetings and say a lot of stuff and then go out and do nothing. Your peers would look at you and go, "What the hell are you doing in there, preaching all this crap and playing like a fairy?" I'm not the type of guy to say stuff and not back it up.
As for this season, I reckon the Wests Tigers are going to struggle. They're my tip for the spoon. They've lost Scott Prince, John Skandalis, Anthony Laffranchi - and they haven't bought anyone.:lol:
Any time anyone tips a team for the wooden spoon, it gives them a lot of drive. But if Benji Marshall gets injured - and let's hope he doesn't - it's going to be a long year for them.

For a 100% tool he certainly tells it like it is

***MH***

Bench
loved the bit about the tigers, it's about time that the bulldogs and the tigers rehashed their 80's rivalry. this war of words my but some spark back into such a local derby clash and hopefully some more bums on seats.

regarding what he said about the tigers, im not sure if they will make the 8 or not, but i dont see them getting the spoon, they can be a good chance this year, but marshall will have to stay fit for the whole season, so i guess we will have to wait and see.

ocko

juniors
bitchy,bitchy, bitchy... :lol:

tigers won't get the spoon but they'll still suck.

oh well, i guess we'll have to wait and see

legend

Coach
Williw is a rhodes scholar it seems and apart from Penrith, the Tigers are good things for the wooden spoon.

A midget forward pack will get anihilated every week.

I mean, if a team can lose to the Raiders by 22 there's something drastically wrong. ;-)

simon says

First Grade
Raiders fans are loving the fact that someone in the media hasnt tipped them for the spoon.....classic.

:lol: :lol:

simon says said:
Raiders fans are loving the fact that someone in the media hasnt tipped them for the spoon.....classic.

:lol: :lol:

It would seem that some of your lot don't like the fact that someone that would have more knowledge of football teams than the media tipped the tigpies for the spoon :lol: :lol: :lol:

wittyfan

Referee
Actually, he took Witty under his wing when Witty made his first grade debut. He's also been good enough to earn two Country Origin jerseys.

simon says

First Grade
I rate Morris higher than either of the Eels halves,they let the wrong one go IMO......

Finch/Morris makes a lot more sense than Smith/Finch.

In fact,I've always rated Morris highly and was quiye happy qhen we got him.
He has always been a very good player and I think he is underrated.The way people go on about him it sounds like he is garbage.

We''l have him thank you very much.

innsaneink

Referee
williemasonshiner_wideweb__470x312,0.jpg

Willys words can pack some punch. :lol:

He is entitled to his opinion, I don't agree with him, but, that said, I wouldn't be shocked if we did run last, because the spoon this year will be a lot closer than last year. By round 20 I reckon at least 3 teams will still be in the running for it.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i agree with mason
i mean you know your in trouble when you are comfortably handed your ass to you by the faiders, no less when your at full strength and the faiders had 5-6 odd players out... the tigers are in for a long long year, save only of course by how bad the faiders will go ;-)

simon says

First Grade
The battle for the Wooden Spoon.

Tigers v Raiders.

Funnily enough I couldnt care less where the media thinks we will come.I rate the peeps on here's views as far more credible than those dopes that get paid for their opinions.

And.......as long as we perform on field......predictions mean very little.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Pretty poor excuse for sports journalism. I hope the SH doesn't pay much for that dolt's opinions.