What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Win Buys stake in St George Illawarra

getsmarty

Immortal
Well it would appear that I have spoken too soon as - Point No. 5 , that being McGregor has the full support of the board I did not believe would be the case . I believed, or hoped that they the board would realize the mans limited capabilities and take measures to ensure the Dragons future success by looking for a substitute. Still the Tele is only surmising , perhaps we shall know more shortly .

Was always going to be the case....once we beat Tigers, that was a massive monkey off mary's back in the boards eyes...

Just as a nite of caution, someone suggested WIN will be keen to recoup their money quickly.

Remember part of the NSW governments cost/benefit analysis of rebuilding Allianz/SFS was it needed to get more NRL games there in the furture.
Which if they follow the ANZ model means paying teams to play there.
Quick buck to be made.

Carlton

Juniors
I hope like hell this works out but, based on the limited amount I've read, I cant get excited. In fact. I'm scared its out of the frying pan into the fire.

Why does a corporation buy into anything except for the purpose to make money? How do you achieve that with a fifty percent share in a rugby league joint venture?

We now have Brian Johnston, Andrew Gordon and WIN (Illawarra) running the JV. Where has anything really changed, all these players have been around for a long time and had plenty of opportunity to change things yet didn't. If anything the Illawarra side is even stronger, how does a split board 3 St George directors and 3 WIN (Illawarra) directors with no deciding vote work?

The biggest plus from all this is that perhaps the NRL can no longer interfere as much. I suspect there is a lot more to this than we know at the moment and that there are going to be some deals come to light later on that we will not like.

BennyV

Referee
There are signs that McGregor has been put on notice imo.
He's made some statements and his body language suggest the fact that there may have been some kpi's put in front of him that he would have to meet to warrant an extension. I don't think hes meeting them atm
He is definitely showing signs of being on the ropes. Swinging for the fences and his new ‘knight in shining armour’ routine (blame me and not the players) reminds me of the ‘we made the finals in 2015’ song that he sung all 2016.

BennyV

Referee
I hope like hell this works out but, based on the limited amount I've read, I cant get excited. In fact. I'm scared its out of the frying pan into the fire.

Why does a corporation buy into anything except for the purpose to make money? How do you achieve that with a fifty percent share in a rugby league joint venture?

We now have Brian Johnston, Andrew Gordon and WIN (Illawarra) running the JV. Where has anything really changed, all these players have been around for a long time and had plenty of opportunity to change things yet didn't. If anything the Illawarra side is even stronger, how does a split board 3 St George directors and 3 WIN (Illawarra) directors with no deciding vote work?

The biggest plus from all this is that perhaps the NRL can no longer interfere as much. I suspect there is a lot more to this than we know at the moment and that there are going to be some deals come to light later on that we will not like.
Only at Dragons could a ‘world-wide industry search’ result in the head of the search committee being appointed. TWICE!

Yeah I don’t get that, if it’s a 3/3 vote along party lines, with no deciding vote, where does that get us except stagnation?

possm

Coach
On a positive note:
  1. The make-up of the Board means that both sides need to work together rather than against each other to make things work.
  2. There will be an equal responsibility for investment into non-capped expenditure e.g. training facilities and some staffing, maybe even both leagues clubs will see capital works projects.
  3. We may see improvements to marketing programs and access to TPAs.
  4. I feel there is a real possibility that Mary will be replaced before or after 2019, depending on performance during this season's finals performance.
  5. In any case, Bennett would feel a lot more comfortable about the prospect of returning to the Dragons in 2020. If he agrees to return, he will have plenty of time to set things up for 2020, including a full off-season.
  6. Success and profitability will be a priority now that WIN's dollars are on the line. No more free lunch KPI's will be the determining factor.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
5) WHAT DOES IT MEAN FOR COACH PAUL MCGREGOR?
McGregor is contracted until the end of next year and enjoys the support of the board and the new owner. Barring a calamity this year, McGregor will start next season as coach.
________________________________________________________________________________

So WIN have 50% of the board ............... and the fans have 50% of a coach.
Great.

Carlton

Juniors
On a positive note:
  1. The make-up of the Board means that both sides need to work together rather than against each other to make things work.

Or all we get is a dysfunctional board that can't agree on anything.
  2. There will be an equal responsibility for investment into non-capped expenditure e.g. training facilities and some staffing, maybe even both leagues clubs will see capital works projects.

I haven't seen anything that says this is the case, it depends upon the details of the agreement. It maybe that nothing gets done because one side wont agree.
  3. We may see improvements to marketing programs and access to TPAs.

The same people are involved that were there before the deal, so what is going to suddenly change?
  4. I feel there is a real possibility that Mary will be replaced before or after 2019, depending on performance during this season's finals performance.
  5. In any case, Bennett would feel a lot more comfortable about the prospect of returning to the Dragons in 2020. If he agrees to return, he will have plenty of time to set things up for 2020, including a full off-season.

I would love this to be the case but its pure speculation and Mary may end up being safer than before (tied board vote to get rid of him means no change).
  6. Success and profitability will be a priority now that WIN's dollars are on the line. No more free lunch KPI's will be the determining factor.
This does not necessarily mean its good for the club, private ownership has not been good for Manly for example and has not produced results.

hazzbeen

Bench

Good question what has changed , what will change ? Wasn't Brian Johnston part of the group they but together to monitor the coaching staff last year ? Anyway anythings has to be better than the shambles we are in now . Time will tell ......

The Damo

Juniors
Normally when you have the full support of the board Gareth it’s a poison chalice :grinning:
That’s what I was going to say - coaches always have the full support of he board, until one day they suddenly don’t. It doesn’t tell you anything about how likely he is to stay on either way.

The Damo

Juniors
He is definitely showing signs of being on the ropes. Swinging for the fences and his new ‘knight in shining armour’ routine (blame me and not the players) reminds me of the ‘we made the finals in 2015’ song that he sung all 2016.
Cautiously optimistic as it looks this way to me too. I try not to do too much psychoanalysis on public statements etc by any coach, but there is a bit of that feel to it. And the subbin on of Field when we were down a man on Saturday was a very un-Mary move.

jak

Bench
5) WHAT DOES IT MEAN FOR COACH PAUL MCGREGOR?
McGregor is contracted until the end of next year and enjoys the support of the board and the new owner. Barring a calamity this year, McGregor will start next season as coach.
________________________________________________________________________________

So WIN have 50% of the board ............... and the fans have 50% of a coach.
Great.
so what 50% of mary do you want,OKB

possm

Coach
This does not necessarily mean its good for the club, private ownership has not been good for Manly for example and has not produced results.

Like most things in life, it depends on the circumstances. Souths, Melbourne and Brisbane have done well. Manly, Newcastle and the Titans have had bad experiences.

Reactions: jak
Look forward to hearing from WIN Corporation and the JV on the reasons why WIN Corporation decided to invest in the JV, and more importantly what the plan is going forward for the JV.

St George Leagues Club has for many years shown very little interest in supporting the JV and for that matter making the Leagues Club successful. It has been stuck in a time warp or holding pattern in need of major change.

Under the new TV deal the JV will receive $3M over and above salary cap funding. Basically the JV should no longer be a financial black hole for investors.

Maybe WIN see the JV as a method of recouping money they had previously "invested" in the Steelers clubs.

We can only hope that WIN Corporation will promote & implement standards of excellence on and off the field for the JV.

My main concern is that they previously effectively controlled the Illawarra side of the JV for over 10 years.

During that time, apart from bailing out the insolvent Steelers, they have not done anything positive for the JV. Their track record running their own businesses over the past 5-10 years is very uninspiring.

As for third party payments for players, WIN has had ample opportunity to come forward and help the JV attract top flight players. Don't see this improving.

The more things change the more they stay the same......

possm

Coach
That’s what I was going to say - coaches always have the full support of he board, until one day they suddenly don’t. It doesn’t tell you anything about how likely he is to stay on either way.
I'm sure the Dragons are in discussions with Bennett and are the most likely if the start date in Nov 1, 2019. However, if the Broncos and Bennett come to an agreement for an exit Nov 1, 2018 and the Dragons are the club Bennett wants to coach, you can be sure that all bets are off as far as Mary is concerned. The Club will just terminate and pay out Mary's contract. On a side not, it is hard to believe that Fox commentators all can't see the reasons for ditching Mary. Paul Kent thinks he's a great coach.

jak

Bench
Like most things in life, it depends on the circumstances. Souths, Melbourne and Brisbane have done well. Manly, Newcastle and the Titans have had bad experiences.
agree with you' also it's not as if they have rushed into it

Latest posts