What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Win/loss record for NSW players in Origin

farmeister

Juniors
Out of curiosity (and because I haven’t seen it listed anywhere else) I decided to look up the win/loss record in State of Origin since 2006 for all NSW players. I’ve left out players who are retired or playing overseas. I've also left out any wins/losses since before 2006. The source is www.rugbyleagueproject.org, which seems to be pretty reliable. I thought I’d post it up here in case any of you are interested as well.

Obviously you can’t read too much into it. Many of the players have played 3 or fewer games for NSW, so for them the numbers are too small to be meaningful. And for everyone else the win % is generally in the range of 15 to 30%.

But there are a few exceptions.

Firstly, Jamie Lyon and Brett Morris have each played 5 games and won 0. Weyman has also played 4 and lost all of them. Over the past couple of seasons, the selectors have kept picking these players even though many of us on this forum would not have done so.

Secondly, out of those who have played more than 5 games, the best winning records (> 30%) belong to Hayne, Bird, and Watmough. Again, I think most of us recognize that these 3 should be in the side, even if the selectors haven’t always felt the same way.

Even though it’s not statistically significant, I thought that was interesting!

Player PLAYED/WON/LOSS (win %)
J. HAYNE 13/4/9 (30.8%)
K. GIDLEY 12/3/9 (25.0%)
P. GALLEN 11/3/8 (27.3%)
M. COOPER 9/2/7 (22.2%)
G. BIRD 8/3/5 (37.5%)
B. WHITE 8/2/6 (25.0%)
B. CREAGH 8/2/6 (25.0%)
B. KITE 7/2/5 (28.6%)
N. HINDMARSH 7/2/5 (28.6%)
M. ENNIS 7/2/5 (28.6%)
A. WATMOUGH 6/2/4 (33.3%)
L. BAILEY 6/1/5 (16.7%)
M. PEARCE 6/1/5 (16.7%)
B. STEWART 5/2/3 (40.0%)
B. ANASTA 5/1/4 (20.0%)
L. LEWIS 5/1/4 (20.0%)
L. O'DONNELL 5/1/4 (20.0%)
B. MORRIS 5/0/5 (0.0%)
J. LYON 5/0/5 (0.0%)
T. TAHU 4/1/3 (25.0%)
B. SCOTT 4/1/3 (25.0%)
T. MANNAH 4/1/3 (25.0%)
A. TUPOU 4/1/3 (25.0%)
P. WALLACE 4/1/3 (25.0%)
T. LEAROYD-LAHRS 4/1/3 (25.0%)
A. LAFFRANCHI 4/1/3 (25.0%)
M. JENNINGS 4/1/3 (25.0%)
M. WEYMAN 4/0/4 (0.0%)
A. UATE 3/1/2 (33.3%)
J. POORE 3/1/2 (33.3%)
J. SOWARD 3/1/2 (33.3%)
A. MINICHIELLO 3/1/2 (33.3%)
G. STEWART 3/1/2 (33.3%)
A. QUINN 3/1/2 (33.3%)
J. PERRY 2/1/1 (50.0%)
J. MORRIS 2/1/1 (50.0%)
B. HORNBY 2/1/1 (50.0%)
D. WILLIAMS 2/1/1 (50.0%)
T. MERRIN 2/1/1 (50.0%)
J. KING 2/0/2 (0.0%)
K. SNOWDEN 2/0/2 (0.0%)
R. FARAH 2/0/2 (0.0%)
W. HOPOATE 1/1/0 (100.0%)

Played 1 & lost: J. IDRIS, S. TURNER, K. GALLOWAY, J. MULLEN, D. YOUNG, J. McMANUS, J. DUGAN, M. GORDON, T. CAMPESE

timka4

Bench
Not great stats for the players, but for post 2006 you wouldn't expect any better percentages for the players

Last edited:
Sure makes a QLD supporter smile. :D

Mitchell Pearce,the centrepiece around which NSW is basing their hopes of long-term future success,has a winning record to please the fans.Should form the basis of many a memorable half-back performance from him in years to come.

Gallen has appeared in 11 Origin matches now for 3 wins.That's your long-term captain.He will continue for years to come to provide memorable performances for the fans.

They both do a wonderful job of making it easier for QLD to win the series.Their performances are truly memorable.

Memorable for the QLD fans,that is. :clap:

Tommax25

Bench
I would think Watmough, Stewart, Hayne, Gallen, Bird, Uate, and Lewis are certainties for next year, and their records don't hurt. Would also think Dugan and Stewart would be in with a good shout but can't fit them all in. Can't think of too many others who you could say are nailed on for next year?

mxlegend99

Referee
It's a bit unfair to only focus on the last 6 years for players who were around before that. Focusing solely on the losing period is obviously going to skew the results to look bad even for players who might actually have a decent win/loss ration overall.

In the last 6 years the Blues have 5 wins and 13 losses. Anybody with better then a 25% win record in that period with more then 3 games to there name is doing well and/or exceptionally lucky.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Sure makes a QLD supporter smile. :D

Mitchell Pearce,the centrepiece around which NSW is basing their hopes of long-term future success,has a winning record to please the fans.Should form the basis of many a memorable half-back performance from him in years to come.

Gallen has appeared in 11 Origin matches now for 3 wins.That's your long-term captain.He will continue for years to come to provide memorable performances for the fans.

They both do a wonderful job of making it easier for QLD to win the series.Their performances are truly memorable.

Memorable for the QLD fans,that is. :clap:

That is correct. I trust you watched game 2 this year, troll nuffy.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Let's wait till 2012 kay? QLD will be a very different team without Lockyer running the pack. Instead you get the grub Smith running the show.

That is correct. I trust you watched game 2 this year, troll nuffy.

Too bad for the theory that NSW have the 'Winning Touch' back,is the testimony to the contrary,demonstrated by the QLD performances in Games 1 and 3. Especially Game 3.

Or am I supposed to be worried that you won one game? :lol:

The series was there for NSW to take.They had won Game 2 and thus could lay claim to having the momentum.When the time came to produce,NSW's bag was empty.When the time came to produce,NSW's captain was spitting the dummy to the ref at every opportunity.Talk about swinging punches at shadows.Gallen only had to look in the mirror and at his team-mates to correctly determine who was at fault for the 24-0 scoreline which effectively buried all hope of a Blues victory.Wasting mental energy blowing-up at the ref illustrates what a headless chicken(with the heart of a bull)you have as a captain.The guy has ticker aplenty,but decision-wise.......

As a QLD fan, I love seeing him out there at Origin time.It means one more obstacle to a NSW victory,and one more down-payment to a QLD victory. I think of Gallen,Bird,Gidley,Ennis and Pearce like passengers on a wooden ship,who when the sailing gets rough,they pull out their augers and start drilling holes in their own ship and sabotage it,sinking it and all aboard.It's like an inbuilt mechanism that snaps under pressure.They can all be relied upon(usually within the same Origin game) to have brain snaps that almost inevitably cost the Blues a try(for each brain snap).You have to marvel at their consistent ability to do it.They are utterly dependable.

So to put it all together, with Stuart 's penchant for(let's say) controversial selections along with the conundrum that he is uncertain of what he has to do and the Kamakazi Five occupying the crucial positions in the Blues line-up,the prospects for a NSW win next year would have to be regarded as pretty grim. Grim that is for the NSW lot.There's plenty to be cheery about if you're a QLD supporter thanks to Sticky and the Kamakazi Five.I vote that Stuart and the K5 get to represent NSW for as long as they want.

Actually,I adore the NSW obsession with this year's Game 2 win.Between the finish of Game 2 and the start of Game 3, it was hoopla city.

The NSW aligned press was jumping on the bandwagon.Such a hullabaloo.The prophets of doom were pounding on the jungle drums, that the QLDers were a spent force.That the New Era had swept into Origin.That the Stuart Era of dominance had begun.The darkest day had been passed and that now NSW would be dictating the results.A one hour TV special on Paul Gallen airs in the week of Game 3.I thought that they missed a lot of his best highlights however:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9vlLkVEBh0

Before the Origin match,in the pre-game television presentation Stuart is seen saying words to the effect that "This is about us." and "Sometimes you can't send a champion out a winner."

Greg Bird is also spruiking about QLD having their win "Sometime..someplace else."

They were spending their winning cheque before they had even earnt it. :lol:

Why?Well Game 2,of course.Yes, Game 2:The first game that the Blues had won in two years.........

Wow.What a display of dominance. :roll:

Yep.Game 2.A testimony that winning only one game in an Origin Series,is a fantastic strategy for losing. ;-)

Ah.Game 2.I was there ya know.Gosh the NSW fans were c**k-a-hoop.You'da thought that they hadn't lost 5 series in a row and that they hadn't lost the last 4 games in a row before this one.You'da thought from their bravado and braggadocio that they had always dominated QLD and that they would always do so.

Game 2.Where Pearce f**ked-up(he actually had a good game)what was he thinking?Thankfully,he knew that he had to produce his ever dependable form and reverted back to his f*ck-knuckle best for Game 3.

Game 2.The pop-gun victory that NSW fans love to trot-out,totally ignoring the Intercontinental Ballistic Missile that is QLDs 6 consecutive series wins(not forgetting last year's clean sweep...).

Yeppers Game 2.Gosh merely mentioning it intimidates QLD supporters.\\\\:D/

I'm so depressed now.I wish you hadn't have mentioned it(teehee).

Last edited:

Dragon2010

First Grade
Who let the QLD'er in? Damn it.

Funny thing. He's pretty much right so I'm not gonna argue the point's. Maybe except Gallen to a degree by simply saying "He's trying to do his job as captain but, yet maybe not in the proper way. He did well to lift the team in Game II though".

As a QLD fan, I love seeing him out there at Origin time.It means one more obstacle to a NSW victory,and one more down-payment to a QLD victory. I think of Gallen,Bird,Gidley,Ennis and Pearce like passengers on a wooden ship,who when the sailing gets rough,they pull out their augers and start drilling holes in their own ship and sabotage it,sinking it and all aboard.It's like an inbuilt mechanism that snaps under pressure.They can all be relied upon(usually within the same Origin game) to have brain snaps that almost inevitably cost the Blues a try(for each brain snap).You have to marvel at their consistent ability to do it.They are utterly dependable.

As much as I hate you, your name, your avatar, and everything you stand for - you are correct. Dammit.

timka4

Bench
how is he right? maybe with Ennis, but even then he doesn't sabotage the game because he doesn't do anything. He doesn't run from dummy half, doesn't create anything. Gallen and Bird are great for NSW and their stats prove it.

Pearce is solid but thats it.

But I'll agree with Gidley, he is prone to many brain snaps.

Fordy20

Juniors
I agree that Ennis doesn't run from dummy half, create or contribute anything of value, but to say he doesn't sabotage the game makes me think you forgot something. Let me refresh your memory. Game III 2010, NSW is leading by 5 points with less then ten to go and Ennis has a brain snap which gives Queensland a repeat set inside NSW's 20 and gifting Queensland their first clean sweep in 15 years and ending Kurt Gidley's chances of breaking Danny Buderus's record of leading NSW to the most consecutive Origin series losses.

farmeister

Juniors
I agree that Ennis doesn't run from dummy half, create or contribute anything of value, but to say he doesn't sabotage the game makes me think you forgot something. Let me refresh your memory. Game III 2010, NSW is leading by 5 points with less then ten to go and Ennis has a brain snap which gives Queensland a repeat set inside NSW's 20 and gifting Queensland their first clean sweep in 15 years and ending Kurt Gidley's chances of breaking Danny Buderus's record of leading NSW to the most consecutive Origin series losses.

Also don't forget Game 2 2011 where late in the 2nd half he gave away a penalty 20m out from the NSW line when he obstructed a Queensland player running through for a bomb. Thankfully NSW held them out on that set of six.

timka4

Bench
... I totally put the wrong point across, I was meant to say he has sabotaged games with his actions. Also he doesn't do much else, such as creating opportunities, running from dummy etc****