What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Win vs Dragons

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Troy Thompson was fantastic.

The aggression he brought to the pack kept us going for the 80 minutes.

Tilse was great too, he's getting better and better each season.

Sucks we have the bye next week........momentum killer.

nickraider

Juniors
Yeah I thought Tilse had one of his better games and Troy Thompson was good. Cannot believe we have a bye this weekend - what's that 2 games between byes - what a joke.

Cryptic

Juniors
The biggest turning point in the match was the penalty against us for a rake, which was a stone cold drop of the ball. You then scored 3 tries without us touching the ball.

No excuses though, we had our opportunities to win the game. I'm really proud of the way our team played with 10 regular first graders out (Hunt, Smith, Fien, Scott, Morris, Cooper, Creagh, Weyman, Costigan, Boyd) any team with that much experience gone from the field has no right to be competitive. If not for a few lapses we could have easily been the victors.

Well done to the Raiders though, it was a quality performance given the shortage of personnel from both sides.

While that was a weak penalty they did touch the ball at least, it wasn't a cold drop (watch the reply). And not like you didn't get some back... I'm not saying the refs would have made it a totally different game, I'm just still pissed we have a professional comp with refs which wouldn't get an under 12 games in any other code...

Cryptic

Juniors
f**k off

Classy

I come in here to congratulate you guys and I get f**k off.

Typical.

... You can't insult someone then not expect anything back or claim you did nothing wrong...

That's like saying "No offence but your a total f**king merkin"... Adding something to the start or end of something you say doesn't mean you can ignore or disregard the other bit...

farmeister

Juniors
While that was a weak penalty they did touch the ball at least, it wasn't a cold drop (watch the reply). And not like you didn't get some back... I'm not saying the refs would have made it a totally different game, I'm just still pissed we have a professional comp with refs which wouldn't get an under 12 games in any other code...

Was anybody else as frustrated as I was with the offside penalty against Vidot?

The Raiders player (Joel Thompson?) went for a tackle, the Dragons player dropped the ball, and the tackler may or may not have had a hand in it -- and even if he did, it's not obvious that he was playing at the ball. Vidot picks up the ball and races away to score. After the usual 26 video replays the try is disallowed and the Dragons receive a penalty and find themselves with perfect field position.

Thank God the Raiders held them out on that set of six, but if not it would have been a 12 point turnaround and more than likely the Dragons would have gone on and won the match.

I know that technically Vidot was offside and should have been penalized. But he didn't know he was offside -- he probably legitimately thought the Dragons player had dropped it -- and not even the referees knew either!! (They had to look at the replays, and even then the decision could have gone either way).

So what is Vidot expected to do in that situation? Stand back and look at the ball on the off chance that his teammate touched it until the ref tells him "it's ok, you can pick it up?"

In that situation, when it's such a lineball decision and the team has not deliberately broken the rules anyway, instead of calling a penalty and potentially changing the entire outcome of the match why can't the referees apply a bit of discretion and just call a knock-on against Canberra instead of a penalty?

I love watching rugby league, but unfortunately the modern game has become too dependent on penalties. In close games, it's no longer about who can run, pass, kick, and tackle the best. It's now about who gets the most number of penalties from these 50-50 calls.

Cryptic

Juniors
Hmm good point... Sorta like how, for the first time in ages, I agreed with a TV commentators when they said they needed a set call... For example when your not really tackled (they fall off) some refs say "Play on" while others say "Play it" as in play the ball and you were tackled... Hard to hear the difference with 20K+ fans screaming at you to do something...

Firey_Dragon

Coach

It was a cold drop. There may have been contact, but at no point did it force out the ball.

The officiating was ordinary and I'm not suggesting we didn't get some fortuitous calls go our way, however that penalty changed the entire course of the game. 4th tackle on the 50m line when a game is in the balance like that is a back breaker.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
It was a cold drop. There may have been contact, but at no point did it force out the ball.

The officiating was ordinary and I'm not suggesting we didn't get some fortuitous calls go our way, however that penalty changed the entire course of the game. 4th tackle on the 50m line when a game is in the balance like that is a back breaker.

Hard to agree that it was a "back breaker". The following try only put us 4 ahead with a hell of a lot of time left on the clock. If that broke your teams back then serious questions have to be asked of the Dragons attitude.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Hard to agree that it was a "back breaker". The following try only put us 4 ahead with a hell of a lot of time left on the clock. If that broke your teams back then serious questions have to be asked of the Dragons attitude.

You scored 3 tries without us touching the ball immediately after that penalty. If that isn't a momentum killer, I don't know what one is. We were on top at that point before the penalty. With the lack of experience we had in our team, it's hard to bounce back from decisions like that. It completely changed the course of the game.

Last edited:

Walt Flanigan

Referee
You scored 3 tries without us touching the ball immediately after that penalty. If that isn't a momentum killer, I don't know what one is. We were on top at that point before the penalty. With the lack of experience we had in our team, it's hard to bounce back from decisions like that. It completely changed the course of the game.

There's a big difference between a loss of momentum and breaking a teams back.

"Back breaking" suggests that there was no recovering from that situation. Which is hardly the case. It put us a measely 4 points ahead with almost half the game remaining.

You're "arguably" entitled to be peeved about the try that eventuated from that decision but it's ridiculous to claim that the other two tries came from that one decision.

There was plenty of time for the Dragons to compose themselves after that. A mix of good attack and poor defence was responsible for the following tries.

We had our fair share of poor decisions go against us (particulary in the last 20), the Dragons just couldn't capitalise.

If that decision came at the end of the game then you might have a case. But it is absurd to suggest that one decision in the middle of the match defined the game.

You lost. Fair and square. Get over it.

Ribs

Bench
Poor decisions in the last 20 lol when the score was what.... 24 - 10?

I believe they're called square ups and no doubt we were due for some square ups after that Logan penalty.

Anyway, enjoyed all the whinging in here, you beat us fair and square with 10 players missing, a 3 man bench and 3 on debut.

Wow, your season must be turning.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Poor decisions in the last 20 lol when the score was what.... 24 - 10?

I believe they're called square ups and no doubt we were due for some square ups after that Logan penalty.

Anyway, enjoyed all the whinging in here, you beat us fair and square with 10 players missing, a 3 man bench and 3 on debut.

Wow, your season must be turning.

Wow two days later and you Dragon's sooks are still crying about it.

"waaaah, my team lost........better clutch at some straws to save face......waaaah".

Our youngsters belted your full strength squad last year too so using the "we had players missing" excuse is redundant.

Have a warm glass of milk and get over it..........b*tches.

Ribs

Bench
Wow two days later and you Dragon's sooks are still crying about it.

"waaaah, my team lost........better clutch at some straws to save face......waaaah".

Our youngsters belted your full strength squad last year too so using the "we had players missing" excuse is redundant.

Have a warm glass of milk and get over it..........b*tches.

Who's whinging? I was quite proud of the efforts of the younger players in the end.

Reading comments like this really makes me happy that your team never makes the 8 lol.......

Leethal

Juniors
Credit where it's due to the Dragons - they were significantly understrength and put up a good fight.

I wouldn't call this a season defining win, but its all good for the confidence.

Reading comments like this really makes me happy that your team never makes the 8 lol.......

...but you'll probably find Ribs we make the semis more often than not.

It's comments like this one that make me happy the Oki Choki is a dead set certainty come September lol......

Firey_Dragon

Coach
There's a big difference between a loss of momentum and breaking a teams back.

"Back breaking" suggests that there was no recovering from that situation. Which is hardly the case. It put us a measely 4 points ahead with almost half the game remaining.

You're "arguably" entitled to be peeved about the try that eventuated from that decision but it's ridiculous to claim that the other two tries came from that one decision.

There was plenty of time for the Dragons to compose themselves after that. A mix of good attack and poor defence was responsible for the following tries.

We had our fair share of poor decisions go against us (particulary in the last 20), the Dragons just couldn't capitalise.

If that decision came at the end of the game then you might have a case. But it is absurd to suggest that one decision in the middle of the match defined the game.

You lost. Fair and square. Get over it.
I said earlier that we lost fair and square. All I ever said was that penalty proved to be the real momentum shift in the game.

I was incredibly proud of our team irrespective of the result, we put up a much bigger fight that I thought we were capable of, having over 1000 games of experience watching from the sidelines (probably over half our cap) and having the young blokes step up was quite satisfying. That game gave me a whole lot more confidence about our season, our depth is pretty impressive.

If that penalty didn't occur however, the game could have gone either way. That's how influential it was in the final wrap.

Last edited:

Leethal

Juniors
If that penalty didn't occur however, the game could have gone either way. That's how influential it was in the final wrap.

Fair call. It was pivotal IMO.

Some of us Raiders fans froth at the mouth every week about the refereeing. Well, we got one in our favour on Sunday and it was significant.

Cryptic

Juniors
You can't say "It was pivotal"... On the same note the blind touchie earlier in the game (which would have given us a scrum feed 10 out) could have been the game changer... That ended up with a scrum on our 10 metre line instead so that one call cost us 80 metres as well... I don't think the Dragons defence was going to let a try in that easily but who know what would have happened if we had been given a shot at it earlier...

skeepe

Immortal
I said earlier that we lost fair and square. All I ever said was that penalty proved to be the real momentum shift in the game.

I was incredibly proud of our team irrespective of the result, we put up a much bigger fight that I thought we were capable of, having over 1000 games of experience watching from the sidelines (probably over half our cap) and having the young blokes step up was quite satisfying. That game gave me a whole lot more confidence about our season, our depth is pretty impressive.

You're wrong on a couple of counts.

Firstly, there were only 2 tries scored after that penalty. It was the set after Joel Thompson had scored.

Secondly, the Dragons scored one more try in the match, and the set they scored from? From a penalty to the Dragons when the Dragons player stone cold dropped the ball in the tackle.

I call that even, so you're completely wrong. How do those straws you're grasping at feel?

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Wow this thread is horrible lol.

Firstly, we can only play the guys on the field and we won... The mentioning of guys out doesn't mean a single thing, that same argument can be used by everyteam.. hell even we have players out throhh injury and state of origin.

Secondly anyone else think it's crazy how the media are all talking up the dragons for effort!!! We have a team as young as the dragons, our entire backline is almost the one from 2009 tyc.

I'm glad we won, with the bye this week we will be in the 8.

Mullins_y2k

Juniors
No we won't be in the 8 cos of our for and against no matter what happens in the other games..it is good to see us climb the latter but remember we are the first team to have 2 byes.