What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WIN Withdraws Interest

TomRedVRiver

Bench
https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/04/10/dragons-governance-update/

Dragons Governance Update

WIN Corporation have advised the St George Illawarra Dragons that they no longer wish to continue discussions regarding acquiring the Illawarra Steelers 50 per cent equity, but will maintain their significant sponsorship and association with the club.

The Dragons are now actively pursuing other options and alternatives with a number of other interested parties who expressed interest during the period that discussions were being held with WIN Corporation.

The Dragons board remains committed to ensuring they identify the right partner for the long-term, and are confident that the 50 per cent sale will be completed this year.

Succession Planning

Succession planning and transition continues, despite the continued considerations in respect to the overall governance of the Dragons through impending changes in shareholding.

With respect to the replacement for Chief Executive Officer Peter Doust, who will retire at the end of the season, a 'Nominations Committee' of the Dragons board has been formed to select a professional and experienced search company to assist with the management of this process.

The committee is presently meeting with external recruitment agencies to determine the most appropriate partner to lead the search – the initial step for identifying the appropriate replacement.

The 'Nominations Committee', in conjunction with the external recruitment agency, will then provide a recommendation to the full Dragons board once the process is complete.

Furthermore, changes to the Dragons' Board of Directors have occurred recently with former chairman Warren Lockwood retiring. Lockwood stepped down as chairman midway through last year but remained on the Dragons board.

The St George District Rugby League Football Club board determined that Lockwood's role and place on the Dragons board will be filled by Chairman of St George District Rugby League Football Club, Craig Young.

Craig brings a wealth of rugby league knowledge and experience to the Dragons board as a player, coach and administrator across all levels of the game – local, club, state and national.

Craig has previously had a respected career in the New South Wales Police Force before successfully owning and managing a number of hotels in the Wollongong area.

Craig joins John Brannon, who replaced Bob Millward as a Steelers nominee to the board of the Dragons at the end of last year, as two new directors of the St George Illawarra Dragons board in 2018.

John has extensive management experience, is a company director and chairman who works across government, commercial and not for profit boards in industries including finance, sports administration, mining, ports, tourism and education.

WIN are struggling at every level.

Happy to see they have finally made it clear they are not interested.

Offering to pay the NRL with advertising was a clear indication that they either did not value 50% of the JV very highly or simply had sustained too many financial losses to seriously contemplate buying half the JV.

Probably explains why Doust resigned. His supporter base is crumbling.

Am sure we will find a financial partner interested in buying a controlling interest in the JV.

Scary times ahead for St.George Illawarra supporters. Buckle your seatbelt.

Unsure what Craig Young brings to the board other than a bag full of Maccas and Krispy Kremes.

hewi

Bench
Craig Young knows what ruthless management looks like as he was punted by Carr and replaced by Brian Smith who IMO was a success. Could he would he do the same? I don’t think so.

st shaneoh

Juniors
WIN are struggling at every level.

Happy to see they have finally made it clear they are not interested.

Offering to pay the NRL with advertising was a clear indication that they either did not value 50% of the JV very highly or simply had sustained too many financial losses to seriously contemplate buying half the JV.

Probably explains why Doust resigned. His supporter base is crumbling.

Am sure we will find a financial partner interested in buying a controlling interest in the JV.

Scary times ahead for St.George Illawarra supporters. Buckle your seatbelt.

Unsure what Craig Young brings to the board other than a bag full of Maccas and Krispy Kremes.
https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/04/10/dragons-governance-update/

Dragons Governance Update

WIN Corporation have advised the St George Illawarra Dragons that they no longer wish to continue discussions regarding acquiring the Illawarra Steelers 50 per cent equity, but will maintain their significant sponsorship and association with the club.

The Dragons are now actively pursuing other options and alternatives with a number of other interested parties who expressed interest during the period that discussions were being held with WIN Corporation.

The Dragons board remains committed to ensuring they identify the right partner for the long-term, and are confident that the 50 per cent sale will be completed this year.

Succession Planning

Succession planning and transition continues, despite the continued considerations in respect to the overall governance of the Dragons through impending changes in shareholding.

With respect to the replacement for Chief Executive Officer Peter Doust, who will retire at the end of the season, a 'Nominations Committee' of the Dragons board has been formed to select a professional and experienced search company to assist with the management of this process.

The committee is presently meeting with external recruitment agencies to determine the most appropriate partner to lead the search – the initial step for identifying the appropriate replacement.

The 'Nominations Committee', in conjunction with the external recruitment agency, will then provide a recommendation to the full Dragons board once the process is complete.

Furthermore, changes to the Dragons' Board of Directors have occurred recently with former chairman Warren Lockwood retiring. Lockwood stepped down as chairman midway through last year but remained on the Dragons board.

The St George District Rugby League Football Club board determined that Lockwood's role and place on the Dragons board will be filled by Chairman of St George District Rugby League Football Club, Craig Young.

Craig brings a wealth of rugby league knowledge and experience to the Dragons board as a player, coach and administrator across all levels of the game – local, club, state and national.

Craig has previously had a respected career in the New South Wales Police Force before successfully owning and managing a number of hotels in the Wollongong area.

Craig joins John Brannon, who replaced Bob Millward as a Steelers nominee to the board of the Dragons at the end of last year, as two new directors of the St George Illawarra Dragons board in 2018.

John has extensive management experience, is a company director and chairman who works across government, commercial and not for profit boards in industries including finance, sports administration, mining, ports, tourism and education.
Make the call to the Shiek

Frank Facer

First Grade
Craig Young as Chairman of the board????? WTF. Young is well and truly entrenched in our system. I wanted Lockwood and Doust gone, but certainly didn't want Young taking either of those positions. I wanted Young gone too. I started a thread last year, asking who wanted Doust sacked with poll to go with it. One poster on here said that he didn't want Doust sacked, as he thought Young would be his replacement. I didn't take it seriously. Back in 2012 I think I was the first one (that I know of) to start referring to Doust, Craig Young and Price as the 3 stooges, I noticed others start calling them that too. 2 have gone, but Young takes more power.

After reading that, I would not be at all surprised to see Dean Young as our next coach after Mary.

Craig Young as Chairman of the board????? WTF. Young is well and truly entrenched in our system. I wanted Lockwood and Doust gone, but certainly didn't want Young taking either of those positions. I wanted Young gone too. I started a thread last year, asking who wanted Doust sacked with poll to go with it. One poster on here said that he didn't want Doust sacked, as he thought Young would be his replacement. I didn't take it seriously. Back in 2012 I think I was the first one (that I know of) to start referring to Doust, Craig Young and Price as the 3 stooges, I noticed others start calling them that too. 2 have gone, but Young takes more power.

After reading that, I would not be at all surprised to see Dean Young as our next coach after Mary.

You seriously think Dean hasn't already been mentioned as Mary's replacement?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
You seriously think Dean hasn't already been mentioned as Mary's replacement?

History will show you don’t need knowledge or skill to be a Dragons 1st grade coach.

Never been one to call for a rally to stop the placement of Young or any other ‘job for the boys’ but l’m willing to start.

I am so against this type of recruitment practice.

Gareth67

First Grade
Well,, now doesn't that come as a big surprise ? After all of that time and trouble they have finally decided to pull out . The Board should had looked at other options ages ago , as this has dragged on for far too long . Would not be surprised if WIN corporation sent the club a bill for their time .

We could had been the Shieks new acquisition by now playing our away matches in sunny Arabia , or had the Garbo garbo company running the show . Just unbelievable, however the good point is that the way the Dragons have been playing this year may make it somewhat easier to find the right partner.

FlameThrower

Bench
Very disappointed to read this, after this being dragged out for almost 2 years since this was mentioned .
Where and who are these ‘other interested parties’ ?
And Craig Young as chairman - that’s setting the stage for innovation and forward thinking, befitting a billion dollar modern day professional sporting organisation .......Not!!!

Latest posts