What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wingers

yy_cheng

Coach
Hunt
zio
Vai
Semi
usa winger

I hope by Mid season, semi and usa winger have cemented the wing spots

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Add morgan, if tonga stays fit morgan may need to play on the wing.

Semi has huge potential

Sio is underrated

Tone83

Juniors
Morgan could always, you know, miss out.

You know your nrl team is legit when they don't need to field guys like Morgan. I'm hoping Eels can keep their head above that water.
For me-
1. Hayne
2. Radradra
3. Hoppa
4. Tonga
5. Sio
6. Norman

If tonga is unfit I'd probably put hunt in the centres.

Really awesome backline, so intrigued to see how the eels go.

Joely01

Bench
Agree that Semi has potential, id give him one more year to do a bit more learning though.

What do people think is going to happen to Morgan?
I cant find a spot in my team for him even with an injury or two.
In the centres id have Hoppa, Tonga and Loko ahead of him.
And wing id have Sio, Hunt and Semi ahead of him.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Morgan could always, you know, miss out.

You know your nrl team is legit when they don't need to field guys like Morgan. I'm hoping Eels can keep their head above that water.
For me-
1. Hayne
2. Radradra
3. Hoppa
4. Tonga
5. Sio
6. Norman

If tonga is unfit I'd probably put hunt in the centres.

Really awesome backline, so intrigued to see how the eels go.

So morgan misses out to hunt who has never played centre ?

Morgan will be battling it out with tonga for a centre spot never year not hunt

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Agree that Semi has potential, id give him one more year to do a bit more learning though.

We definitely have a few options - which is always a good thing.

I have morgan in front of loko for a centre spot and just behind tonga - but will tonga even last more then 5 games ? Also even if you think loko ( I see him a an edge forward ) is in front of morgan for a centre spot, he is injured anyway.

If there isn't a centre spot for morgan (for what ever reason ) I would use him as one of first picked for a winger spot. Yeah he aren't going to one of those metre eating wingers, but he did play winger in u20 I think. He is quite quick , can find the way to the try line and is pretty good defensive. - I reckon he would go ok on the wing.

Tone83

Juniors

Forgot about loko because I've conceded to the fact he will probably be a backrower, but yeah it's so tempting to have him in the centres, and if it was a choice between him and morgan, morgan has no chance.

1. Hayne
2. Radradra
3. Hoppa
4. Loko
5. Sio
6. Norman

Looks so damn good.

Joely01

Bench
We definitely have a few options - which is always a good thing.

I have morgan in front of loko for a centre spot and just behind tonga - but will tonga even last more then 5 games ? Also even if you think loko ( I see him a an edge forward ) is in front of morgan for a centre spot, he is injured anyway.

If there isn't a centre spot for morgan (for what ever reason ) I would use him as one of first picked for a winger spot. Yeah he aren't going to one of those metre eating wingers, but he did play winger in u20 I think. He is quite quick , can find the way to the try line and is pretty good defensive. - I reckon he would go ok on the wing.

I think he could do a good job at wing as well, i only think it would defeat the purpose of putting the younger guys through a couple of rough seasons, i see players like Sio and Semi being the wingers for years to come, with Hunt in there as well

Joely01

Bench
Forgot about loko because I've conceded to the fact he will probably be a backrower, but yeah it's so tempting to have him in the centres, and if it was a choice between him and morgan, morgan has no chance.

1. Hayne
2. Radradra
3. Hoppa
4. Loko
5. Sio
6. Norman

Looks so damn good.

A lot of teams will underestimate us next year, which is always a good thing.

Freak2

Juniors
I think Loko has to go to the back row. Too many alternative options in our backs now and we need someone in the back row that can break the line.

I'd also have Morgan in front of Tonga at this stage, but id also have Hoppa at fullback and Hayne in the centres after his World Cup campaign.

tresurehunt

Juniors
id have morgan in front of tonga as well, and id have sio and hunt as wingers.
with the new squad we have there are so many ways we can do the backline.

Chipmunk

Coach
In my opinion Tonga, Hopoate and Morgan, if all are fit, will make the team ahead of any player that might be considered for the wing. They're all in the top 15 players in the club.

I think the key to any team list is which centre spot Hopoate takes. Arthur has said Hopoate will play centre, but which one?

If Hopoate lines up at right centre I would consider Morgan for either wing spot. I think if Morgan plays right wing you could swap him and Hoppa around from right wing and centre to suit the different needs of different plays/options. I think they could become an awesome combination on the right. If this is the way they go then a fully fit Willie Tonga is your first choice left centre. If Tonga is injured, Ryan Morgan is the obvious choice for left centre.

It was written in one of the newspapers that Hopoate will be playing left centre, so that changes the scenario a bit. I think Willie Tonga is a great left side player, but I think he is just an average right side player and I think he would be useless for us at right centre. If Hopoate plays left centre I would play Willie Tonga at left second row and have Morgan at right centre. The option plays for a Norman, Tonga (later Loko), Hopoate and Hayne are just breathtaking to think about. I think we should go with Hopoate on the right though.

In my opinion you need people in your edge forwards who can actually pass the ball. Otherwise they are just a one-out runner on an edge, which will be easy to pick off. That's why personally I would go with Willie Tonga and Ben Smith as our starting edge forwards in 2014. Apparently Loko wont be fit until mid-season, but I would play him on the bench to come on and play on an edge when he is fit.

Of course, the likelyhood of both Smith and Tonga being fit for the whole season is very slim!

I think Hunt, Sio and Radradra will be in the mix for wing spots depending on which options play out above.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
I really hope that Bureta Faraimo turns out to be as good as he was at the WC.
If he does adapt well, he will end up being the best cheap signing we have made for quite a number of years and will be the best winger we have at the club.

What I saw of him at the WC was far and away better then anything that any of our wingers have dished up in the last couple of years.

The only question is can he do it in the NRL? If so, he will be AWESOME!!!

yy_cheng

Coach
If he does adapt well, he will end up being the best cheap signing we have made for quite a number of years and will be the best winger we have at the club.

What I saw of him at the WC was far and away better then anything that any of our wingers have dished up in the last couple of years.

That's the USA winger I am talking about.

I was reading people's teamlist and no one seemed to mention him.

So I started this thread about Wingers.

I reckon he too will be awesome after watching his games in the WC.

If semi learns to fend, we would have 2 dynamic wingers.

Hunt - Not sold on him as yet

Sio - Don't like him under the high ball nor rucking it out. Excellent finisher though. I feel he has confidence issues

Voutai - Greater at rucking it out. Dodgy with handling and under the high ball.

Semi - Looks to me to be Sailor like. If he learns to Fend could be dynamic. But lots to learn about positioning.

Faraimo - Unknown quantity now but like what I saw at the WC

Parraren

Bench

Plucked from relative obscurity he has the potential to be another cult hero like Fui.

I'm hoping one or two of our cheapies come good for us next year.