What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wishart: The finest Steeler of them all?

The Lucky State

Juniors
As a queenslander its difficult for me to recognize the talents of NSW players. However probably the finest compliment I can give them is to tell you how much they frightened me. Going on this scale, no player scared me more than the great Rod Wishart. He was a hard man, raw boned with great speed. He'd walk back into any team today such was his brlliance, Dont give me any of this different era's bullsh*t, Wishart was awesome and would be today. In my opinion he's the greatest Illawarra player. Can people please share with me some of the great Wishart moments and also point me towards and clips or info about him on the net. Thankyou.

phonetic

Juniors
Ha. It's a gee up.

Surely Neil Piccinelli would be up there with the great Steelers! Brett Rodwell too!

dimitri

First Grade
The Lucky State said:
As a queenslander its difficult for me to recognize the talents of NSW players. However probably the finest compliment I can give them is to tell you how much they frightened me. Going on this scale, no player scared me more than the great Rod Wishart. He was a hard man, raw boned with great speed. He'd walk back into any team today such was his brlliance, Dont give me any of this different era's bullsh*t, Wishart was awesome and would be today. In my opinion he's the greatest Illawarra player. Can people please share with me some of the great Wishart moments and also point me towards and clips or info about him on the net. Thankyou.

Sounds like you need a private moment, picture of rod, a bit of lube and something to clean up with

Mr Saab

Referee
The Lucky State said:
In my opinion he's the greatest Illawarra player. Can people please share with me some of the great Wishart momentsand also point me towards and clips or info about him on the net. Thankyou.

Yeah in game 1 of Origin 1998 he made a break in around the 74-75 min and was run down by the speedster Martin Lang.

Farva

Juniors
What about the spaghetti brothers??? Piccinelli and Schifilliti- What a dynamic combo those boys were.

Raiders Plight

Juniors
who was that steelers player who got a long suspension for a huge elbow to the face of another player, don't remember who. Anyone know the incident i'm referring to?, i don't have any names, i think it was in the mid to late 90s. I remember it was pretty sickening.

The Lucky State

Juniors
I've found this:

http://www.steelers.com.au/rugby.html

From the site:

"The Illawarra Steelers history is well documented in the book Thirteen Years of Steel by David Middleton."

sh*t I'd like to get my hands on this. Might have to check ebay.

"Steelers is a trading name adopted by the Illawarra District Rugby League Football Club Limited when the Club was formed to play rugby league in the major ARL competition in 1982."

Its a club with a rich history. Also on the site is some info on the Wollongong Hawks basketball. What other club can boast a relationship with a basketball team?

Nothing so far in his thread though has changed my belief that Wishart was the "king of the gong".

jamesgould

Juniors
Wishart, McGregor and Mackay for me. Illawarra were a great side, wish they were still around. Wishart was always one of my favourite players, he did great things for NSW.

Coaster

Bench
Wishart was up here on the Gold Coast a few weeks ago, checking out Panel Shops.

Seemed like a nice bloke

Latest posts