What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Woefull Referees performance

OVP

Coach
Storm V Roosters game tonight should serve as a referees "What not to do" textbook.

Gus Gould is going apesh*t on 2MMM :lol: ... he's basically saying that there is basically zero attacking football allowed anymore and its basically become a refereeing competition between two geese in pink. He's spot on.

I see they've rediscovered the sin bin tonight.

Why am I surprised at this after they've been getting bagged out over threatening it but never carrying it out?

Charlie124

First Grade
Gus Gould is going apesh*t on 2MMM :lol: ... he's basically saying that there is basically zero attacking football allowed anymore and its basically become a refereeing competition between two geese in pink. He's spot on.

Absolutely, this match is all about these two referees. There just happens to be all these other guys out there on the field

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I actually disagree. The two referees tonight finally did what the other 6 this weekend have all idly threatened to do, actually penalise constant infringements and daring to bin people who commit professional fouls. If both sides didn't have such poor f**king discipline tonight the game would've been far more watchable.

Apey

Staff member
Good to see Moffo make an appearance in the tags.

I reckon Delaney should have been sent to the bin against the Knights. More deserving than the first one tonight imo. Repeated infringements, I thought Turner's was pretty harsh.

Danish

Referee
apparently the storm played perfect football for 70 minutes tonight....

I don't care who the two teams are, a 9-0 penalty count for 70 minutes of a game is f**king bullsh*t.

The refs had a 5-1 penalty count to the roosters after 9 minutes, and then a 8-5 penalty count at half time.

Completely ruined the game

perverse

Referee
lol.. the thing that cracks me up about raiders supporters whinging about refs is the fact that they still haven't worked out that good teams win regardless of refereeing. they never put themselves in a position for a few bad calls to lose a game for them.

obviously this can't be the case with every single game, but the conspiracy theory that certain raiders fans (all of them actually?) carry on with is truly absurd. if their team was good enough, they would win anyway (as many, many teams consistently have done, and still do - in spite of poor calls against them).

Timmah

Staff member
What cracks me up further is people whinging about penalties being blown.

Simple - player doesn't offend, penalty doesn't get blown. Whinge about interpretations all you like but if you do the right thing, you're unlikely to be pinged. Run the risk, and you get penalised. Simple theory, some teams are too stupid and keep repeating their mistakes.

broncos70

Juniors
i remember a couple yrs ago where warriors lost like 75% of their matches by like 6 points or less..i remember watching most of their games and how absolutely screwed they got in some of em..then there was an obvious one that went against em against the team that came 8th instead of them lol that was one messed up season for the warriors..i'd love to watch their games again and count the amount of matches they could've won if they had some good decisions, but none of us have that time..

Danish

Referee
What cracks me up further is people whinging about penalties being blown.

Simple - player doesn't offend, penalty doesn't get blown. Whinge about interpretations all you like but if you do the right thing, you're unlikely to be pinged. Run the risk, and you get penalised. Simple theory, some teams are too stupid and keep repeating their mistakes.

I have a much bigger problem with us not getting a penalty for 70 minutes than I do the storm receiving 9 in the same period.

No team is that perfect.

Frustrated Fan

Juniors
I actually disagree. The two referees tonight finally did what the other 6 this weekend have all idly threatened to do, actually penalise constant infringements and daring to bin people who commit professional fouls. If both sides didn't have such poor f**king discipline tonight the game would've been far more watchable.
Well I disagree with you. Sure it is getting to be a bit much with the referees always going on about sitting someone down because the penalty count is mounting. But, they are the ones making the issue. I can understand them getting tough over repeated infringement (cheating) of the same type (like repeated holding down in the ruck) but they seem to be getting their knickers in a knot over the quantity of penalties.
The first four penalties against the Storm tonight were for holding down in the tackle, a head high, a leg pull and for a strip. Why should Turner be Sin Binned for a trivial “Not Square” penalty?
The first four penalties were against the Roosters were for holding down, a high shot, not square at marker and then for mouthing off at the ref’. Why should Willie Mason be sin binned for a trivial “flop” penalty?
That's what i call f**rking up the watchability of the game.

Frustrated Fan

Juniors
An insight for me is their animated statements like… “You put your hand right in there! Right in there!!!” (59th min Roosters Storm) and the replay indicates that he had his hand on the ball for about half of a second. Then, in the very next set, they don’t notice a player makes no attempt to play the ball with his foot and then a player steps forward about 2 meters off the mark to play the ball. Add to that the fact that the majority of tries are scored off the back of a penalty and the trivial penalty is compounded.
It is obvious to me that the ref’s are going out with pre emptive game plans like “were going to watch for hands on the ball in the ruck”.
I think what they need to do is dish out coaching penalties early in the season. Coach the players on the run with warnings and penalize when the warnings are not headed. As the season goes on and in high intensity matches like a G/F replay, rep’ matches and finals, it should be assumed that the players know the rules so no coaching on the run is required. More leeway given with regard to trivialties and penalties dished out only for outright cheating.

Timmah

Staff member
Willie wasnt binned for a flop, he was binned for a professional foul - clearly offside and still made a tackle.

Apey

Staff member
The big problem is the square-up penalties imo, evidenced by the Storm vs Roosters and also the Knights vs Titans to a lesser degree..

That sh*t is f**ked up for any team.

Well a certain team has been ill-disciplined, the standards start to f**k up and the refs become pedantic about the other team in the interest of being 'fair'.. :crazy: