What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Women's NRL

Timbo

Staff member
If they're lined up with NRL teams as they say they will be, it makes sense that they'll be financially stable heartland clubs.

I'm thinking Broncos, Panthers, Bulldogs, Rabbitohs, Dragons (based in Wollongong) and (if the NRL underwrite it) Knights?

Maybe the Raiders for a Sydney team if they want to share the love, or Roosters based out of the Centy Coast?

Diesel

Referee
Teams not named yet but I’ll take a stab that they’ll all be from NSW, 5 from Sydney, 1 from Newcastle.

Diesel

Referee
If they're lined up with NRL teams as they say they will be, it makes sense that they'll be financially stable heartland clubs.

I'm thinking Broncos, Panthers, Bulldogs, Rabbitohs, Dragons (based in Wollongong) and (if the NRL underwrite it) Knights?

Maybe the Raiders for a Sydney team if they want to share the love, or Roosters based out of the Centy Coast?
I’d say, Cronulla, Bulldogs, Roosters, Knights, Souths & Penrith

Burns

First Grade
Way too many Sydney teams above.

Melbourne, Brisbane, NZ Warriors and Newcastle (we don’t need to be underwritten by the NRL thanks) - then, have either Penrith/South Sydney/Bulldogs.

Also, replies in this thread are gross. Hurr duhh yeah teh boyz

GAZF

First Grade
Teams not named yet but I’ll take a stab that they’ll all be from NSW, 5 from Sydney, 1 from Newcastle.
That will be the bet if they want to keep travel costs reigned in to start. Don't know if that will be the case as the AFL comp is more geographically spread and the NRL loves to keep up with the Jones's.

I'd have thought a split conference system with 4 Qld and 4 NSW/ACT teams might spread the teams better and reduce travel. Have some cross conference games and a 4 team finals series, etc...

Saint Doc

Coach
Dragons and Sharks have played games against each other for the last 2 years. And dragons have 2 women’s ambassadors on the payroll (both Jillaroos)

I’d be astounded if both clubs weren’t involved
cq5dam.thumbnail.319.319.png

insert.pause

First Grade
Holden are the naming rights sponsor after the Holden Cup was scrapped. This comp will eventually probably come to look a lot like the NYC, which begs the question about allegedly scrapping the NYC for financial reasons.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Sharks, Dragons, Raiders are almost certainties which leaves three spots. One of the QLD teams would likely be involved, not sure about Newcastle?

Which clubs?

Have a look at where all the best players currently come from. Many are from Qld and there are several good players from Newcastle. Unless the players are going to travel just to join a club the teams pretty much have to be Brisbane, GC, Newcastle and some Sydney teams. Of course that's assuming no NZ players are involved. The Warriors could have the majority of the NZ national team and be hard to beat but I assume the NRL won't be helping the game over there.

adamkungl

Immortal
2 Sydney (1 west 1 east)
2 Country NSW (1 north 1 south)
2 QLD

expand on that later with NZ, Melbourne, Canberra, Perth, Adelaide as priorities.

This is a chance to start a national competition from scratch without being burdened by history.
Start with something like:

Cronulla, Parramatta
Newcastle, Illawarra
Brisbane, Ipswich

First Grade
2 Sydney (1 west 1 east)
2 Country NSW (1 north 1 south)
2 QLD

expand on that later with NZ, Melbourne, Canberra, Perth, Adelaide as priorities.

This is a chance to start a national competition from scratch without being burdened by history.
Start with something like:

Cronulla, Parramatta
Newcastle, Illawarra
Brisbane, Ipswich
The girls wont stand a chance against our ipswich lasses.

T-Boon

Coach
I'd be getting Canberra in because any national comp should have the national capital plus it is riddled with PC types who should go nuts for the ladies game. Also start with 2 Brisbane teams to build a rivalry.
Brisbane
Brisbane
Newcastle
Parramatta
Sydney
Canberra

insert.pause

First Grade
It should be thought about as starting a new national comp, which means you don't go putting half the teams in one city.

Brisbane
NQ
Canberra
Melbourne
NZ (provided there's a draft)
1 club from Sydney

Latest posts