What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Won't happen but i hope...

brenno

Juniors
Elliott picks Carney and or Weyman in the starting lineup for this game.
For once i actually agree (well kinda) with the comments Laurie Daley made on NRL scoreboard tonight. He said that it was about time that Todd Carney got a chance to start at the number 7 and that macca should come off the bench ( i think he should remain at the 7 but have carney next to him). He also said that Macca is frustrating to watch as he often comes up with a silly option and doesn't run the football as much as he should. I mean what's the point of persisting with the current halves combo? Gaffa has done a fair job but, he's not a 5/8th & macca is not a number 7. It's not as if the raiders are in the hunt for the premiership this season. What's wrong with giving blokes like Carney & Weyman a good run to give them some vital experience?

Oh well look foward to seeing Droparelli named in the team tommorrow night knowing Elliott :roll: :roll:

GreenGuy

Raiders fans see it, Laurie knows what should be done, opposition fans are waiting for it to happen...EVERYONE IS READY (except M.Elliott)

Edwahu

Bench
I agree with what Lozza said. I dont think there is any stigma with coming off the bench anymore.

Next year I reckon the best combo we could have would be Smith at 7, Carney at 6 and Macca off the bench. The most important thing is the Elliot lets the team know that Smith and Carney will be running the side.

brenno

Juniors
Edwahu said:
I agree with what Lozza said. I dont think there is any stigma with coming off the bench anymore.

Next year I reckon the best combo we could have would be Smith at 7, Carney at 6 and Macca off the bench. The most important thing is the Elliot lets the team know that Smith and Carney will be running the side.

I agree, i'd like to see Smith & Carney in the halves for next year. Preferably Carney in the 7 & Smith @ 5/8th. With Mclinden coming off the bench in a dummy half/ reserve half role. That way Smith can move into the lock position.

Anonymous

Juniors
Marty off the bench is an excellent option as he can cover every single position in the backline, and hooker.

Carney at 7 and Smith at 6 gets my thumbs up.

greeneyed

First Grade
Yah, right, lets put one of our two best backs on the bench while we bring out a 30 something forward coming back after retiring to the ESL to play half....

Brimmer

Juniors
I don't know the guy but I truly think that Macca will get the sh*ts up if he is on the bench. I think he would be best served from there though.

I'm with Timbo - Carney and J.Smith for me. The arguement going round on these forums is that Macca is Canberra's best attacking player.

Sure, by himself but unfortunately Rugby League is a 17 man game now. Macca is getting smashed at first receiver. His kicking and passing options are terrible and therefore our attack across the park is blunt. I feel he would be best suited in the outside backs when the game gets on a bit.

Evergreen

Juniors
Our best halves combination next year will be Carney at 7 and McLinden at 6. I am willing to put up with Smith at half for a short period provided that Carney is given ample time off the bench to refine his game.

Of course that leaves the question of where Smith plays once Carney is ensconced in his role. To be honest I would prefer to see him at lock, pushing Toots into second row with Hindmarsh and Adamson coming off the bench.

1 - Schifcofske
2 - Graham
3 - Mogg
4 - Frawley
5 - Gafa/N. Smith
6 - McLinden
7 - Carney
8 - O'Hara
9 - Woolford
10 - Weyman
11 - Hindmarsh
12 - Croker
13 - Smith

14 - Adamson
15 - Thompson
16 - Hodgson
17 - Howell (D or M)

Um Jammer Lammy

Juniors
I want McLinden in the 6 jersey and Carney in the 7 jersey starting immediatly. I think Elliott is just over-coaching the stiuation, If Carney is as good as the coaching staff are suggesting he is ready to play now, Carmichael Hunt is 17 or 18 and he's been playing all season, and he's doing a good job at the back for the Broncos, Sonny Bill Williams is another he would have played much more if it wasn't for his injury. Elliott's decision over Michael Monaghan over Brad Drew makes me nervous about the way he's going to handle Carney. I just hope Elliott doesn't screw another youngster by over playing his hand when really we should just let the kid play.

hrundi99

First Grade
As has previously been discussed, there is a hell of a lot more pressure on a young person playing at halfback than fullback, second row or the bench.

Freddo

Juniors
if lozza thinks carney should start then carney should start. carney should play at half macca at 5/8 and move gafa back to wing

as germ said in his gibber a few weeks ago. "Todd Is One Of Those Kids Who Is Ahead Of His Time"

please matty start him soon we dont have much time left anyways

greeneyed

First Grade
I have been saying for ages that we should give Carney more game time. We are now in the position where we probably can't afford to...... but if he had been brought on more consistently, then maybe we would have been in a much better position to use him today.

I almost hope that if we're out of contention by Round 26 and we have no chance to make the finals, Elliot will use Carney at 7 and McLinden at 6... just to finish off the season on the right foot and give us SOMETHING to look forward too...

Edwahu

Bench
Macca is a great attacking player but he couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery. Smith can organise a team and is a leader, thats what we need at halfback. He can also play 13, 9 and 6, which will give Elliiot alot more versatility in using Macca, Carney and Germ.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I dont think J. Smith is our answer for no.7. I would like to see

6. Mclinden
7. Carney

13. Smith

Smith is a solid player with good skills but to say he is a halfback is a joke! Look at the guy. He is pushing 32, hasnt played NRL for years and has not had an extensive run in the number 7 jersey.

Having said this I still think he is a good signing. However I have my doubts whether he is the player that will be putting players like Frawley and Graham throught the holes or the grubber kicks into the in-goal.

Anonymous

Juniors
Smith is a proven organiser, and what we need is someone to lead the team around the field from no.7.

Smith is that man IMO.