What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wooden Spooners?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It was a classic stir and one which really had a few Dragons supporters worried at the mere idea.
Offcourse, I never had any doubt... ;o)

For the record. The TAB in Qld agrees with my 'maths' and have still got 5 teams in the running for the wooden spoon:

<table bgcolor=#003366 border=1 bordercolor=#006699 cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0> <tbody> <tr> <th bgcolor=#000000>No.</th> <th bgcolor=#000000>Description</th> <th bgcolor=#000000>Win</th>&lt;!-- start prop element --> <tr> <td align=left>6058</td> <td align=left>NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS</td> <td align=right>Suspended</td></tr> <tr> <td align=left>6060</td> <td align=left>PENRITH PANTHERS</td> <td align=right>Suspended</td></tr> <tr> <td align=left>6064</td> <td align=left>WESTS TIGERS</td> <td align=right>Suspended</td></tr> <tr> <td align=left>6052</td> <td align=left>CANBERRA RAIDERS</td> <td align=right>Suspended</td></tr> <tr> <td align=left>6056</td> <td align=left>NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS</td> <td align=right>Suspended</td></tr></tbody></table>

I'm still waiting to see the odds.
My guess is the following:
NQ Cowboys $1.60
Penrith Panthers $1.30
Wests Tigers $2.00
Canberra Raiders $1.90
New Zealand Warriors $1.10 :)

Any advances on that?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Johnsy !! G'day mate!
Welcome to the new place. You'll notice that renovations are still happening but at least the floors are freshly polished :)
Did you get my email? Or was it word of mouth?
Cheers mate!

J

Johnsy

Willow

I got it mate, thanks for the tip. Love what you have done with the floorboards, gives the place a nice atmosphere and adds a dash of character.

Johnsy

Like Rasputin I picked Penrith to make the eight this year - and I even thought they were dark horses for the premiership. They looked to have a good blend of youth and experience with blokes like Gower, Girdler, Rodwell and Adamson leading a group of good younger guys. I suppose it goes to show how a few injuries to key players can ruin your season, or it might just show I'm a terrible tipster.

L

legend

Hhhmmmm. The jury is still out on that one Roopy. Unlucky team/ Bad tipster. I'll get back to you on that one.

S

SpaceMonkey

Warriors favorites for the spoon? Saints out of contention? Which team took the form side of the last few rounds (the Knights) right to the wire this weekend and which one got flogged by the Cows? I would watch what I was saying if I was a Dragons fan right at the moment....

S

SpaceMonkey

The points table may mean its unlikely that the Dragqueens will get the spoon, but they certainly played like genuine spooners on the weekend. Take it from someone who was a 2000 Warriors supporter, I should know how to spot when is side is playing truly crap!

S

SpaceMonkey

Anyway, I like it up here on my horse, I can see all the way to the SFS!
Whats the matter, you get horseshit on those white boots of yours?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Spacemonkey: So you have an unreasonable 'hate Dragons' obsession ... that's OK mate. You're not the first and you won't be the last.
Just find a nice shady spot and take in a few deep breaths.

S

SpaceMonkey

"Unreasonable "Hate Dragons" obsession"?! I smell some paranoia here! Considering it was a Dragons fan in this thread who started the shit slinging by installing the Warriors as favorites for the spoon, I think I'm only doing my bit as a one eyed Warriors fan by giving some back! Anyway Smithy plays for the Warriors, top kiwi, top bloke.

S

SpaceMonkey

Sorry, that should have read Smithy plays for the Dragons. Great player, but the Warriors don't need props next year.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Space Monkey. Stop beingdickhead.
I installed the Warriors as favourites for the spoon? As far as I can tell, I picked Penrith. The odds I placed up earlier was joke.
Now who's really being paranoid?
In case you hadn't noticed, I've been having a lend of ya.

S

SpaceMonkey

So was I Willow, so was I. Lets face it if Ozbash had jumped in and given you a serve you'd hardly have been surprised would you? But in the abscence of NZ's premier shit stirrer I decided to have a crack. No offence meant....

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Hmmm.
Well, I don't want give the ol' fella a big head but lets just say he has a certain panache to his insulting style.
You should know that when I first put this post up, there was only about six of us here. And sure, the purpose of including the Warriors as a contender was to stir up Ozbash... :)
But I was pretty surprised to see that the TAB also had them on the 'spoon list.
BTW, I didn't even think that this would still be a live topic days later but it just shows how fast this forum is growing.

Anyway, she'll be right mate. Look forward to having further debates with ya (have a dig at me anytime you like) and I'm sure the Warriors will be there come top eight time.

S

SpaceMonkey

Warriors 34, Bulldogs 8
Think we might have blown our shot at the spoon there Willow! ; )

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yeah Spacemonkey, you're pretty well allright now mate.
The Warriors are 8 points clear of the bottom. Penrith would have win all their 5 games and NZ would have lose all 5 and that just ain't gunna happen.

OK - and then there were 4....

Tigers (17 pts) - Won last match. Clobbered the Eagles 38-6 this weekend just gone.
Run home: Canterbury (a), Knights (h), Parra (a), Penrith (a), Cronulla (h)

Raiders (13 pts) - Lost. Creamed by the Knights 54-6.
Run home: Cowboys (a), Penrith (h), Eagles (h), Brisbane (a), Melb (h)

Cowboys (11 pts) - Lost. Thrashed 62 - zilch by Parra.
Run home: Raiders (h), Eagles (a), Canterbury (a), Knights (h), Warriors (a)

Panthers (10 pts) - Lost. Beaten 28-6 by Saints.
Run home: Warriors (h), Raiders (a), Melb (a), Tigers (h), Knights (a)

The Tigers look safe even though their run home looks pretty dicy.
The Penrith boys are still favourites but it's anybody's race!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
<table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width=145> <tbody> <tr> <td bgcolor=#ff6666 width=20> <center>11</center></td> <td bgcolor=#cccccc width=105> <center><tt>Tigers</tt></center></td> <td bgcolor=#ffcc33 width=20> <center>17</center></td></tr> <tr> <td bgcolor=#ff6666 width=20> <center>12</center></td> <td bgcolor=#cccccc width=105> <center><tt>Canberra</tt></center></td> <td bgcolor=#ffcc33 width=20> <center>15</center></td></tr> <tr> <td bgcolor=#ff6666 width=20> <center>13</center></td> <td bgcolor=#cccccc width=105> <center><tt>NQ Cowboys</tt></center></td> <td bgcolor=#ffcc33 width=20> <center>11</center></td></tr> <tr> <td bgcolor=#ff6666 width=20> <center>14</center></td> <td bgcolor=#cccccc width=105> <center><tt>Penrith</tt></center></td> <td bgcolor=#ffcc33 width=20> <center>10</center></td></tr></tbody></table>

With 4 rounds to go, nothing has changed much. The Tigers are still outsiders but are in danger of missing out after next weekend.
For some, the Raiders rate as the Dark Horse pick.
But can anyone stop those Panthers? The Cowboys are trying hard but just can't seem to cut it with the current favourites.