What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World 9s 2019

Springs09

Juniors
Jesus, only 5 Catalans, Garcia, Jullien, Goudemand, Fages, Gigot, Bousquet, Yaha, Escare, all out. Disappointing.

Burns

First Grade
Where is Escare and Fages? Two players who could maybe possible get a go in the NRL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They pretty much have what would be their whole first choice 9s side staying home. What's the point

Its a long way to fly for a few exhibition games. Maybe they should have considered a French test or two to follow on to make it worth while the players travelling all this way?

From a logistics and viability point of view theyd be better having an invitational nines with all countries from the southern hemisphere plus GB and France (who then go on to play tests after the nines in Aus and NZ) with a few invitational NRL clubs, SL clubs and emerging nations, ditch the NRL club nines pre season show.

EG.
Aus
NZ
Tonga
Samoa
Cook Isls
Fiji
PNG
Lebanon

GB
France
An Other (eg USA, Jamaica etc)

Eels
Storm
Cowboys
Wigan
Leeds

Burns

First Grade
Should we have a new thread for all the squads that are to be named today/tomorrow?

MKCS

Juniors
72399226_10157028029008074_5196046688761937920_n.jpg

Got a few really good players in this squad who should excel at this tournament due to their speed (Ponga, Brimson, Addo-Carr etc) but not sure how the likes of Ben Hunt has made it in. I'm assuming he will play hooker but surely Damien Cook or even one of the Brailey brothers should be there based on speed alone.

greenBV4

Bench
Got a few really good players in this squad who should excel at this tournament due to their speed (Ponga, Brimson, Addo-Carr etc) but not sure how the likes of Ben Hunt has made it in. I'm assuming he will play hooker but surely Damien Cook or even one of the Brailey brothers should be there based on speed alone.
I'd say a big factor for 9s selection is whether or not a player has actually made themselves available

Looks like an exciting squad though

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Happy about that squad.

Interesting mix

Fullbacks
Gutho

Fullback/Half
Papenrussell, Ponga, Brimson

Threequarters
JAC, Feldt, Garrick, Scott

Halves
Moses, Walker, Hunt

Forwards
Arrow, Brown, Fifta, Graham, Frizzel

Look foward to seeing the others.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
England World Cup Nines squad
  • James Graham (St George Illawarra) (captain)
  • Tom Burgess (South Sydney)
  • Daryl Clark (Warrington)
  • Jake Connor (Hull FC)
  • Ryan Hall (Sydney Roosters)
  • Ash Handley (Leeds)
  • Jack Hughes (Warrington)
  • Reece Lyne (Wakefield)
  • Jermaine McGillvary (Huddersfield)
  • Ryan Sutton (Canberra)
  • Sam Tomkins (Catalans)
  • Jake Trueman (Castleford)
  • Liam Watts (Castleford)
  • Elliott Whitehead (Canberra)
  • Gareth Widdop (St George Illawarra)
  • George Williams (Wigan).
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/07/graham-to-captain-england-world-cup-nines-squad/

wain

Juniors
I'll bet you one American penny that David Fifita is the player of the tournament. Other smokeys to stand out for their team...maybe Regan Grace for Wales or Olam/Lam for PNG, Milf for Samoa.
I can't wait for this tournament to start!

I reckon the Aussies will obviously be the team to beat, but excited to see what the Kiwis put out. I think Fiji will do better than Tonga, and I'm interested to see how PNG adapts to the short form game! :)

Coastbloke

Bench
Given the shortened format, less teams should run out of puff as they do in full blown Tests. I'm talking to you France..

Latest posts