What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World 9's circuit

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
I know it's been talked about before but it's the off season and i feel like this dead time should be filled with an affordable, well thought out world 9's circuit..

Here are my thoughts...

To start with try to get 4 weekends going from mid December through until late January signing up talent for AUS, NZ and ENG from NSW and QLD cup as well as the Championship. Beyond that nations getting players from their domestic comps and topping it up with those they can get from a higher level.

Long term 6 to 8 events and aiming to be able to sign people to 9's contracts while using the success of 9's to shorten the pre-season and NRL by providing another product to sell.

I think it could be huge for International Rugby League because it's possible for upsets and would provide a stepping stone to growth for emerging nations.

My thoughts are not perfect but a start, what are peoples thoughts on the concept

P.S. Mainly i want to be able to have Rugby League to watch all year round!!

roughyedspud

Coach
i think theres scope for 3 international 9's events

the RLEF 9s,held in london on the same bank holiday weekend as the challenge cup final,the CC final on the saturday and RLEF 9s on sunday & monday..

the APRLC 9s, held down under in dec/jan..this could actually develop into a multi event circuit with the likes of perth,adelaide,gold coast hosting a event every few weeks..

the RLIF WORLD 9s held in north america in feb,either indoors in vancouver or toronto,not keen on the roger centre though or down south somewhere warm like florida or southern californa

9's is a vital development tool we are vastly under using......but thats not a surprise to anyone is it?

Last Week

Bench
I'm still of the opinion that it doesn't need to involve the stars of the NRL or Super League to be successful.

If the RLIF can go to a local government and sell them the idea of hosting a 2 day event at a stadium, and we come out on top before a ball is kicked (like the World Cup), it'd work.

The final for the 4Nations was on the 20th of November this year. Giving the players 2 weeks off, there's 3 weekends before Christmas where events could be held. There's 5 weekends in the new year before Super League kicks off again.

Now, I'm not suggesting that players be playing 12 months of the year, but in the case of the top NRL and SL players, they can sit out if they choose. I'm sure there are plenty of players in Australia, NZ and England who would be willing to play for their country. I'd be happy if no NRL or SL player played.

I'd kick it off with just the 4 tournaments in total. 1 or 2 weeks after the 4Nations final, host the first weekend in the north of England. A week or 2 after, another in Australia. This is to maximise dollars from heartlands. Then, the following year in January, host one in Jacksonville. A week later, Toronto.

The options for a circuit are pretty vast. It will take work to sell to organisers, but it could be as successful as we want it to be.

siv

First Grade
RLPA stipulate all players must have a 8 week break

So that kills off Dec and Jan

roughyedspud

Coach
A vast majorty of players finish playing in september..

Also my england 9s team looks nothing like the test team so its not as if players are doubling up

adamkungl

Immortal
I'd set it up so it isn't treated as a rep comp. Ie. players are contracted to play International Nines rather than selected.
Dual contracting (eg. NRL/NSW Cup + Australia 9s) would be allowed. This introduces a clear mechanism where clubs can allow or deny players to play under contracted terms rather than the wishy-washy 'needs off-season surgery' excuses we get now.
This might mean Australia's or England's 9s team is sub-par. It doesn't matter, the success of such an event should deliberately not hinge on Australia's participation.

16 countries qualify for a 2 day event.
Regional qualifiers are held early in the year, and available number of spots are deliberately set up to allow for more worldwide representation rather than the top 16 RL countries - ie. some pacific and western euro nations will miss out.
eg. to start with..
Pacific: 4
West Euro: 4
North America: 2
East Euro: 2
Asia: 2
Africa: 1
South America: 1

As for the circuit, to launch I'd start in North America, with Australia/Pacific and European events to follow shortly after. Events are held in major expansion regions, rather than the heartlands.

Regional qualifier tournaments are held in March in each of the 7 regions above.

Year 1: North AmericaRL9s @ LA in April
Year 2: North AmericaRL9s @ Toronto in April, PacificRL9s @ Perth in Dec
Year 3: North AmericaRL9s @ Chicago in April, EuropeRL9s @ Dublin in Jun, PacificRL9s @ Christchurch in Dec

Stick with this kind of structure for 5 years. Then over the next decade or so add 3 more events: Asia, Africa, and South America. For a total 7 annual events - regionals + 6 continents.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
How does union sevens get its money? Watching the Dubai sevens it isn't though gate receipts!

A world nines tour could involve
England
Australia
NZ
Singapore
USA
Dubai

Timing will always be an issue as will if it should be country or club.

taipan

Referee
How does union sevens get its money? Watching the Dubai sevens it isn't though gate receipts!

England
Australia
NZ
Singapore
USA
Dubai

IRB and gate money from the likes of the HK 7s.And of course TV revenue.

Whatwhere

Juniors

England
Australia
NZ
Singapore
USA
Dubai

The same way most every other league does. Via advertising. The World Series is broadcast live into over 100 countries. Also, I suggest you watch the finals of the event. You'll notice the crowd builds as the games proceed. By the final the stadium are generally packed and pumping. They also run a heap of other activities around the main event. Some you'll find a lot of people in and around the stadium. They concentrate on creating a festival environment.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Hawaii seems like a prime location outside of heartlands to establish an ongoing nines event. excellent climate and a pacific islander population to market to that maybe already aware of rugby league plus aloha stadium is 50k capacity so it's not too big and not too small.

I would definitely consider tying in an event there with a holiday.

roughyedspud

Coach
How does union sevens get its money? Watching the Dubai sevens it isn't though gate receipts!.

Big sponsors and the IRB would underwrite any loses,if any,i imagine..

The IRB (world rugby) understand its a development tool and any losses are worth it

Whatwhere

Juniors
Big sponsors and the IRB would underwrite any loses,if any,i imagine..

The IRB (world rugby) understand its a development tool and any losses are worth it

It turns a profit. They then use those funds to cover the travel and accommodation expenses of competing squads. They also provide annual grants to core teams and those that qualify for appearance in their regions tournament. So thanks to Uganda recent appearances in Dubai amd Cape Town they'll be in line for a grant.

paulmac

Juniors
Id start with a 4 leg World Series.Tournaments in RU World 7s are held in 'destinations' keeping with that line of thinking I've opted for
Leg 1 - Perpignan.RL heartland close for many European countries to get to (Serbia,Spain etc)
Leg 2 - Gold Coast. Tourist hotspot,chance to make links with Commonwealth Games Organisations.Deep pool of heritage players available in Australia
Leg 3 - Rotorua.AnotherTourist hotspot.NZ 'gets' the whole 7s/9s vibe.
Leg 4 - Hawaii.Chance to get a small part of the US market.Big Polynesian community
Play these tournaments in Late October to mid December

siv

First Grade
Firstly cut the big 3 out of this

And then it will work

But limit it to residents and in regions

adamkungl

Immortal
Firstly cut the big 3 out of this

And then it will work

But limit it to residents and in regions

Nah let the big 3 play. But have 9s events in targetted growth areas (eg. USA) during the NRL season.
If the clubs block superstars from playing it's beneficial for the tournament's competitiveness.

I wouldn't say something like this for a full XIII test series or World Cup of course. But 9s shouldn't be treated as the pinnacle of the sport, it's a development and promotional tool.

Latest posts