What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup 2013 Draw Announced

hutch

First Grade
France not hosting isn't such a bad thing. Future WCs will have to be held somewhere other than Australia and England. In the northern hemisphere that means France is a possible future location, much like NZ not getting any 2008 games because they'll probably get the next southern hemisphere one. And it's not like their fans can't get on a train and cross the Channel. That's why countries host these events after all- the massive tourism potential.

all good points! i would guess there would be a few thousand frenchies willing to follow their national rugby league team. i wonder where the best place to base them would be?

flamin

Juniors
An interesting part of the article:

First Minister of Wales Carwyn Jones added: "It is a privilege for Wales to be given this opportunity. We saw tremendous success during the 1995 World Cup when Wales was host to numerous fixtures and the Welsh public came out in force to support their home team and to witness some of the world's greatest players.

"With Rugby League enjoying a new found growth in Wales in recent years and with the sport having been played in schools throughout the country for the past eight years, we are confident that hosting games in venues such as the Millennium Stadium will be a great way of helping boost the sport in Wales.

"Hosting such an event will also provide a welcome financial boost to those towns and cities who secure the right to host fixtures, training camps and house the playing squads and with the potential for many visitors set to be attracted to these shores, the economic impact has the potential to be great."

Bluebags1908

Juniors
So Australia get to play Ireland for the first time at the 2013 RLWC. That would make them the 12th nation that Australia has faced in a full international (although not all matches are accorded full Test status). The full list (with year first played) is -

New Zealand (1908)
England (1909)
Wales (1911)
France (1938)
Italy (1960)
South Africa (1963)
Papua New Guinea (1982)
Fiji (1995)
Russia (2000)
Samoa (2000)
USA (2004)
Ireland (2013)

And this doesn't include:

Great Britain (1908)
Rest Of The World (1957)

Of course other countries such as New Zealand have already played Lebanon, Cook Islands, and Tonga. And France has played just about every country that has managed to field a Rugby League team - Moldova, Morocco, Serbia, Canada, Scotland.

France not hosting isn't such a bad thing. Future WCs will have to be held somewhere other than Australia and England. In the northern hemisphere that means France is a possible future location, much like NZ not getting any 2008 games because they'll probably get the next southern hemisphere one. And it's not like their fans can't get on a train and cross the Channel. That's why countries host these events after all- the massive tourism potential.
France playing someone like PNG in some northern pit town is ludicrous when it's a short plane ride to Toulouse or Perpignan where they would get 10 or 15k, promote RL and probably get a better French TV deal that would broadcast the game locally and in French and possibly even French companies sponsoring the tournament. I can't belive anyone would seriously think this is not a big problem. France played Ireland in front of 14,000 this year but people think they should be overlooked for WC games in 2013 because maybe in 2021 they might get to host it themselves. No, can't cop that. Apart from anything else I won't be going if it's all in the UK. I want to go to France and see France play, not to Halifax or Leigh to watch them.

Billythekid

First Grade
France playing someone like PNG in some northern pit town is ludicrous when it's a short plane ride to Toulouse or Perpignan where they would get 10 or 15k, promote RL and probably get a better French TV deal that would broadcast the game locally and in French and possibly even French companies sponsoring the tournament. I can't belive anyone would seriously think this is not a big problem. France played Ireland in front of 14,000 this year but people think they should be overlooked for WC games in 2013 because maybe in 2021 they might get to host it themselves. No, can't cop that. Apart from anything else I won't be going if it's all in the UK. I want to go to France and see France play, not to Halifax or Leigh to watch them.

Completely agree.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Absolutely I mean taking games to Avignon, Perpignan and Toulouse would be successful.

They got 15,000 to Avignon against Ireland and out did 2 games in the 4 nations and almost a 3rd one. So they should definately host WC matches and no doubt they'll get decent crowds.

I quite like this format, top 3 teams and Groups A and B and then the top ones in C and D sounds really good.

As for Ireland and Fiji grouped against Australia and England it would be interesting to see how they go and would be a real challenge. Ireland has never played Australia so as mentioned theywould be the 12th nation to play Australia.

Also the European qualifier, looks likely to be Lebanon out of the 4, but would love to see Italy make their debut.

We could see though USA make their debut, to me they look like the favourites out of them South Africa and Jamaica. Cant wait for the qualifiers. :D

I like Wales hosting matches hopefully they'll get decent crowds.

RedVee

First Grade
Seems like poor old Ireland have scored the 'pool of death'. I guess that is their prize for running last in the Euro Cup.

adamkungl

Immortal
Can anyone confirm the finals matchups?

I presume, as it makes the most sense in my mind:

QF1: A1 v C
QF2: B1 v D
QF3: A2 v B3
QF4: B2 v A3

Semi1: QF1 v QF4
Semi2: QF2 v QF3

paulmac

Juniors
The seedings are a bit of a mystery to me.If there based on the last world cup then Samoa and France should be in the bottom 6.If theyre based on recent Euro and Pac cups then Ireland have no business in the top 8.
As for quarter finals id imagine
QF 1 - A1 V D
QF 2 - B2 V A3
QF 3 - B1 V C
QF 4 - A2 V B3
SEMI FINALS
SF 1 - WINNER QF 1 V WINNER QF 2
SF 2 - WINNER QF 3 V WINNER QF 4

hutch

First Grade
there was quite good coverage on the channel 7 news here tonight, they showed the 2 players walk out and kick the footballs through the fireworks and announced that england and wales were co-hosting. very positive stuff. ive noticed channel 7 have really been putting effort into rugby league recently, even in the off season. channel 9 had zero coverage! surprise surprise!

adamkungl

Immortal
there was quite good coverage on the channel 7 news here tonight, they showed the 2 players walk out and kick the footballs through the fireworks and announced that england and wales were co-hosting. very positive stuff. ive noticed channel 7 have really been putting effort into rugby league recently, even in the off season. channel 9 had zero coverage! surprise surprise!

9 are wankers

hutch

First Grade
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...orld-cup-foes/comments-e6frexnr-1225963918561

typical negative comments only getting through on the telegraph website. we need to change the attitudes of some of these wankers and talk this even up over the next few years. im not sure why international rugby league cops such a bad wrap, is it an australian thing? we can dominate other sports without them getting hammered in the press such as cricket and netball, there can be massively one sided scores in the union world cup and they are not ridiculed. why do we cop it so much?

even today on talking sport peter tunks and brett papworth were laughing about how ireland will be a powerhouse and a tough match for australia, and laughing at the fact jamaica are attempting to qualify with crude comments such as they will be bowling first! we need to bombard these programs and websites and talk our sport up!

adamkungl

Immortal
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...orld-cup-foes/comments-e6frexnr-1225963918561

typical negative comments only getting through on the telegraph website. we need to change the attitudes of some of these wankers and talk this even up over the next few years. im not sure why international rugby league cops such a bad wrap, is it an australian thing? we can dominate other sports without them getting hammered in the press such as cricket and netball, there can be massively one sided scores in the union world cup and they are not ridiculed. why do we cop it so much?

even today on talking sport peter tunks and brett papworth were laughing about how ireland will be a powerhouse and a tough match for australia, and laughing at the fact jamaica are attempting to qualify with crude comments such as they will be bowling first! we need to bombard these programs and websites and talk our sport up!

It's ridiuclous. We all know Jamiaca (or whoever qualifies) isn't going to be any sort of match for Australia, but ffs the games between lower ranked nations will be extremely entertaining, as they were in 08. I think the pool format they decided on will ensure a high quality WC, and hopefully England mans up and pull their collective fingers out. An England win is the best result for International RL imo

crimpo

Juniors
First, the French games should be in France (unless they are against England or Wales of course). That's just obvious - for all the reasons others have pointed out.

Its a good format given the number of teams in the tournament. I worry a bit about the Quarter Final round - they weren't big draws in 2000.

jim_57

Staff member
Can't fault the format at all, hopefully another big step foward for International RL.

Agree with Hutch about the negative publicity, it's not needed or deserved. I watched the back page last night and sat there appauled at how journalists can be so negative about a sport that pays their salaries. That was regarding the Crowe WCC idea but I bet next week it'll be the same thing, different topic.

Seeing as the media affects the way most people think it's damaging to Rugby League as a sport. I've encounted people here and there that spout the same crap journalists do, I usuasly ask them to elaborate and they have nothing else to add, throw in a few things I know and they go silent on the subject because the only line they know is "it's a joke" but most couldn't tell you why, it's just droned into people.

1stNov2000

Juniors
I like the format, I prefer this to the 2008 format. . Barring any upsets, the 2 remaining spots in Pool B is wide open for France, PNG and Samoa. Evenly matched sides fighting gunning for those QF nods.

deluded pom?

Coach
Good to see they look like they are sticking with the WC logo created for the 2008 WC. Hopefully they can help create a strong brand for the event.

Latest posts