What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup 2017 Kiwis news

Cold Roses

Juniors
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...ith-to-assist-kiwis-at-rugby-league-world-cup

Experienced Australian coach Brian Smith is set to join the Kiwis for the Rugby League World Cup later this year.

Smith will join fellow Australian Shane Richardson on Kiwis coach David Kidwell's staff, and is expected to work as a technical analyst during the tournament, the Daily Telegraph reported.

The 63-year-old hasn't coached at the elite level since his brief 12-game stint with Wakefield in 2015-16.

The former Roosters coach left Australia in 2012, and is one of only three people to have coached more than 600 NRL games.

Kidwell and Smith know each other well, with Kidwell having played under Smith for two seasons with the Parramatta Eels (1999-2000).

Smith recently worked as a consultant for Serbia's national team, and is expected to be joined by two more new assistant coaches before the World Cup, which will be played in NZ, Australia and Papua New Guinea in October-December.

Kiwis great Stacey Jones has been touted as a possible addition to the coaching ranks, the Daily Telegraph reported.

Richardson is the Kiwis' World Cup campaign manager.

Cold Roses

Juniors
Not a bad thing. Would have been happy if Paul Green had come on board, but Smith is a pretty astute judge of the game. It's just his people skills which let him down in the long term.

Seems pretty clear that apart from the lapsed 'culture' from the Kearney days, the next biggest issue where Kidwell is lacking is his analysis of the opposition, and creating an effective game plan. Smith should tighten this area up pretty well.

so we get someone who hasn't coached for a couple of seasons to assist someone who has only been good at being an assistant

excellent

book your your tix now peeps for the play off for 3rd and 4th

Burns

First Grade
Does Foran start in the number 6 for NZ at the World Cup? Does he make the squad?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Does Foran start in the number 6 for NZ at the World Cup? Does he make the squad?

Will he be there ? Absolutely. Does he deserve it handed on a platter ? Probably not

I know there is practically no chance we will do it, but the 1st half I'd be picking if SJ is gone, is Benji. Still has plenty to offer, and I still find it one of the most disgraceful decisions from a kiwis coach of all time that we left Benji at home a couple of years back when we toured England with no halves and Hiku had to play there

Cold Roses

Juniors
Thoughts on Taikarangi at centre? Adds another dimension in attack, not sure about his D?

Left center, and even wing for that matter are an area of weakness for us. Takairangi has played there at club level at least, which is a bonus. We often get stuck with moving right edge players over to that side because of a lack of depth. Should be in the mix at least. I'd rather him than Kata.

Cold Roses

Juniors

Should make the squad if The Bulldogs don't drag him for 'injury concerns'.

Te Maire Martin is going well at The Cowboys. It's great for us that he's playing in a professional club with the guidance of Green and Thurston. He should be starting for us from next year on if he keeps developing.

Early days, but whatevs (assuming no SJ)

1. RTS
2. DWZ
3. Kahu
4. Whare
5. Rapana
6. TMM
7. Foran
8. Packer
9. Luke
10. Tapau
11. Mannering
12. Tapine/SST ?
13. JT

14. Kodi / Levi
15. Fonua-Blake
16. CHN
17. NAS

jaseg

Juniors
Find me a centre who you ARE sure of on defence.

Basically, NZ are desperate for centres, and Brad is a quality one. Should be close to first picked based on how far ahead of others available in his position he is.

Please not Kahu (I know it'll be Kahu).

My thinking right now is something like..

RTS
Rapana
Whare? (hasn't been great... but we're stuffed at centre so forced to bet on class > form)
Takairangi
DWZ
Foran (Benji comes in - and starts - if not available for whatever reason)
Johnson (if he could be fit by finals time he should be fine come world cup - Benji covers here too)
Matulino
Roache
Taupau
Mannering
Harris
Taumalolo

Luke
Gavet (assuming he's fit)
Fonua-Blake
Asofa-Solomona

Rest of squad:
TMM
Nikorima (if both Foran & SJ are out then Benji & McIlwrick come in, B.Smith unlucky, Levi meh)
Fusitua
Manu? (Joseph, that is - not yet convinced he's ready but we've got very few quality centre options)
CHN
Mau
Taukeiaho

That's a bench designed to do some damage, and starting lineup that's more solid than anything we've put out in quite a while.

Benji only gets selected as a starter (ie. if Foran/Johnson are out)... no use picking him to cover, I'd rather the younger guys do that - and I'm comfortable with them playing if/when needed in that case. I really like what Matt McIlwrick has done this year, much better than Levi (who has improved to be fair). Whare/Takairangi/Manu is the best crop of centres we can scrape together, the other outside backs more or less pick themselves - though as noted above, I expect someone worthy will miss out for Kahu.

Roache starts over Luke. It should be this way at the Warriors too, when/if Roache is fit (and still here next year....). Luke has looked disinterested mostly, and Roache has looked much better when given the chance at decent minutes.

Last edited:

Of course. Knew I forgot someone. So I'll revise to;

1. RTS
2. DWZ
3. Kahu
4. Whare
5. Rapana
6. TMM
7. Foran
8. Packer
9. Luke
10. Tapau
11. Mannering
12. Harris
13. JT

14. Kodi
15. Fonua-Blake
16. CHN
17. NAS

18. Levi
19. SST
20. Tapine
21. Fusitua
22. Feki
23. Muts
24. Gavet
25. Takairangi

Even with no Proctor or Bromwich thats still a mighty forward pack. Also i think Whares done for the year isnt he plus Kenny Bromwich will be in the squad

Cold Roses

Juniors
Of course. Knew I forgot someone. So I'll revise to;

1. RTS
2. DWZ
3. Kahu
4. Whare
5. Rapana
6. TMM
7. Foran
8. Packer
9. Luke
10. Tapau
11. Mannering
12. Harris
13. JT

14. Kodi
15. Fonua-Blake
16. CHN
17. NAS

18. Levi
19. SST
20. Tapine
21. Fusitua
22. Feki
23. Muts
24. Gavet
25. Takairangi

I admire your determination that Blair isn't going to make the team. It's like if you ignore him long enough you can will it into existence :D

Last edited: