What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup Final: Aussies V. Sri Lanka

Bomber

Bench
"Well done on winning the world cup....now I must suck the blood out of your brain and spine with more stupid questions.....what trophy presentation? You jest, surely....."

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Sweet. Sri lanka didn't win. I'm happy. Jayawadne has a massive monobrow.

Well down Australia.

sh*t, thinking back my predictions before the world cup in a thread in here were actually pretty close.

Doctor

Bench
hineyrulz said:
26 wickets at 13, not a bad effort you would say.

It was always going to be a tough ask choosing between Hayden and McGrath, but seemed fitting that the latter receive the award. In the context of the tournament, 26 wickets at such a good average is very impressive, especially when you're bowling at the start and the end of the innings on pitches that do not favour you.

Take nothing from Hayden though -- he proved a lot of people wrong by convincingly demonstrating his batting skills on the biggest ODI stage. Full credit to Brad Hogg too. I bagged out Hogg, not in this forum but to friends. Happy to admit I was wrong -- he did very well and proved himself capable of bamboozling even the best (read: Lara).

Not much to criticise about the Aussies' execution in this tournament.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Absolutely dominated every opponent they faced.
And I do think McGrath was a deserved winner, and what a way to end your career.

JJ

Immortal
The best team deservedly won the World Cup.

Gilchrist showed that he's still a dangerous customer in big games.

BUT, FFS what do non-cricket countries think when they see sh*t like that? Seriously, why not just abandon the game for another day, why have the World Cup final as a shortened game, and then why have the ludicrous carry on we saw at the end

Azkatro

First Grade
I think in hindsight I did the right thing.. stayed up long enough to see Gilly's matchwinning innings then went to bed, so I didn't have to suffer through the WORST WORLD CUP FINAL EVER!

Seriously, what a farce. From the 38-overs a side being used to decide a world cup final, to the stupidity of allocating overs up to a time during the day when there would be no light, to playing a world cup final at a stadium with no lights.

What a ridiculous situation it was, with Sri Lanka accepting bad light with a few overs remaining to play in a one day international that was the world cup final :crazy:

El Diablo

Post Whore
imagine if Sri Lanka didn't come back out and we had to wait a whole day to see 3 f**king overs

should've never of been played today if the forecast for tomorow is good

Ridders

Coach
good on the sri-lankans for playing out the match and not having to wait another day but those last couple of overs were a joke. When they showed the camera which showed what the real light was like i couldn't stop laughing. Surprised the two batsmen weren't running into each other when taking singles.

Hats of to Australia. At the end of the 3 games in NZ, i figured Australia had no chance to win the WC. Not only did they do that but they went through the entire WC unchallenged. Great way for McGrath to end his career.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
i just woke up after watchign the whole game, waste of time... up until the 16th over of the SL inns, it was a fantastic game... the rain made it even more farcical than it originally was.

TBH i think we were matched, if not outclassed in every facet of the game, the difference was Gilly.

Ridders

Coach
yeah there was the stage when Jaysuria and Jayawadne were in and set that i thought the lankans might get on and take the game

Eelectrica

Referee
Apparently one of the officials said there was no need for the final 3 overs anyway as Sri Lanka had already batted the required number of overs. It was said ABC radio.

Umpires screwed up royally on that one.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The umpires we're a disgrace this game. Firstly taking runs of someone for running on the pitch. Then standing around like dicks wondering how much the RUN chase would be. And then finally forcing the players to go back on in the Pitch Black.