What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Game

Macca_

Coach
Mr Angry said:
The world game when half the world could not give a sh*te - fair enough you soccer fans just keep calling it that whatever rocks your boat.

I do not dispute soccer is large and played by many.

The Olympics - now there is the world games.

More countries in the world play football then any other team sport. It's been called the world game for as long as I can remember.

There are some countries that even view the World Cup as a bigger event then the Olympics.

The Olympics itself has a restriction on age for football. You can only have 3 players over the age of 23. That says it all for me...

Raider Ultra

Bench
In the vast majority of those countries listed, it is the major sport. Typical uncultured Aussie, who thinks because it's not big in Australia, it's not big anywhere else.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Here I'll start

Australia - no
NZ - No
US - No
China - No
India - No

That is two thirds of the worlds population

You have a third left.

Facts do you have ANY?

Raider Ultra said:
In the vast majority of those countries listed, it is the major sport. Typical uncultured Aussie, who thinks because it's not big in Australia, it's not big anywhere else.

You pretentious wanker.

Angry has stated that it is massive in Europe and South America.

Raider Ultra is one of those Soccer tragics that has to call it Football because O'Neill and Paschalides say so.

He'll also firmly believe that the A League will be a rousing success. LOL

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Raider Ultra is one of those Soccer tragics that has to call it Football because O'Neill and Paschalides say so.
I prefer headball. Is there any other sport were scoring off a falcon is a brilliant move?

He'll also firmly believe that the A League will be a rousing success. LOL
bwhahahahahaha, well he does think headball is what little Asian boys dream of doing.

You should read some of the crap these tools go on with Angry.

1. Playing in Asia will revolutionise club Soccer in Australia.
2. The quality of the A League will be good.
3. Dwight Yorke is a household name in Australia.
4. If we qualify for the World Cup it will kick start Soccer in Australia.
5. John O'Neill is the lord Jesus Christ.

Macca_

Coach
Mr Angry said:
Australia - no
NZ - No
US - No
China - No
India - No

Mate what you say is correct. However football is played in those countries (as are other sports obviously).

It doesn't need to be the number one sport in most countries to make it the world game. It needs to be played in those countries. That long list you posted earlier would see the majority of them having a national football team. A lot of sports are played in a lot of countries, but in footballs case, it's played in most of them. And that is a fact. Some not to the levels of others ie NZ/Aust to say Britian, but it is played.

Everlovin' Antichrist - Soccer Australia or what ever they want to call themselves are kidding themselves. The sport will never be big in this country while the money is not there. There's over 300 aussies playing abroad and it's because of the money that they leave.

Macca_ said:
Everlovin' Antichrist - Soccer Australia or what ever they want to call themselves are kidding themselves. The sport will never be big in this country while the money is not there. There's over 300 aussies playing abroad and it's because of the money that they leave.

Spot on.

And we're not going to spend good money watching our 3rd raters play.

Macca_

Coach
Spot on.

And we're not going to spend good money watching our 3rd raters play.
I know. Not that I live anywhere that I can anyway but wouldn't. When there was that channel C7 Sport, you'd watch an NSL game then flick over and watch the Premier League and it was like watching a different sport. As much as I'd like it to be a great league to follow, it doesn't interest me enough. Which is a shame.

But that's kinda off thread topic. Football is still the 'World Game' :D

Raider Ultra

Bench
Erm, football is massive in China. Over 2 billion people watched the last world cup final, far more than the Olympics. If that does not mean it qualifies as the world game, I don't know what does. The reason I call it football is because pretty much ever country in the world calls it that except Kiwis and the US, much know who I'd rather be grouped with.

Raider Ultra

Bench
In response to your point about it only being big in Europe and South America, it is also the biggest sport in Asia, Africa and central America, and the interest in football in the US is also very significant, as much as the white media there would hav eyou believe otherwise.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Raider Ultra said:

Leave them be.

It's funny to watch.

Copa

Bench
Raider Ultra said:
Erm, football is massive in China. Over 2 billion people watched the last world cup final, far more than the Olympics. If that does not mean it qualifies as the world game, I don't know what does. The reason I call it football is because pretty much ever country in the world calls it that except Kiwis and the US, much know who I'd rather be grouped with.
over 2 billion people wouldn't have access to pay-tv to watch the final.

here is the word "soccer" being used in the UK press. pages and pages of it. It is often called soccer in the UK. Not as often as "football" though
http://news.google.com.au/news?svnum=10&hl=en&ned=uk&ie=UTF-8&as_drrb=q&as_qdr=&as_mind=24&as_minm=7&as_maxd=23&as_maxm=8&q=soccer+location:uk&scoring=d

Raider Ultra

Bench
From the FIFA website in regards to WC 2002, ' The 2002 FIFA World Cup Korea/Japan™ was the most extensively covered and viewed event in television history'. I was wrong about the final audience, it was actually watched by 1.1 billion people worldwide, 1 in 6 people on the entire planet, not bad.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Raider Ultra said:
Hybrid, a Raiders fan and a Tigers fan agreeing on something, never thought I'd see the day!

:lol:

If it's one thing I can't stand, it's these uncultured caravan types who bag the sh1t out of soccer.

The game has been through hell in this country and this is it's last chance. Yeah sure, it will never have the appeal of leagues like the EPL, Serie A etc. but thats not what they are aiming for.

A respectable, professional league which can attract all types of supporters (including those that would normally follow other sports such as League and AFL) without the hinderence of ethnic division and corrupt officials only in it for the money is a very good start.

Raider Ultra said:

The Kiws, the US, Australia.......

hybrid_tiger said:
:lol:

If it's one thing I can't stand, it's these uncultured caravan types who bag the sh1t out of soccer.

The game has been through hell in this country and this is it's last chance. Yeah sure, it will never have the appeal of leagues like the EPL, Serie A etc. but thats not what they are aiming for.

A respectable, professional league which can attract all types of supporters (including those that would normally follow other sports such as League and AFL) without the hinderence of ethnic division and corrupt officials only in it for the money is a very good start.

You don't think that you thinking that you're better than someone because they don't like Soccer could have something to do with the way they react do you?

What does Soccer have to be arrogant about in this country?

One game every four years and a League that hasn't played game one yet?

LOL