What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

world rankings

otag

Juniors
very interesting to read on rlr that the rlif is going to release official rankings for the code's playing nations.

any1 question any of the placings? apparently these are based on results and development in the homeland.

i had a few questions over it. might even send a letter to the rlr editor.

i think jamaica and the usa should be higher.

and what is morocco doing in rugby league to be still on the list.

but looking at that list, we really have a competitve mix of top 12 teams. and i think it really pushes the fact we should be having a 12 nation wc.

and with england and france at 3 and 4, would not png beat those two?

malta down that far in the pecking order.

and italy and greece rated above germany? i dunno about that...

tokelau islands? they must be just happy to be included on the official rankings list.

these ranks, they stumped me.

rlr world rankings=
1 australia
2 new zealand
3 england
4 france
5 png
6 tonga
7 fiji
8 scotland
9 wales
10 ireland
11 lebanon
12 samoa
13 russia
14 georgia
15 cook islands
16 serbia
17 united states
18 holland
19 japan
20 jamaica
21 italy
22 greece
23 south africa
24 germany
25 austria
26 estonia
27 malta
28 morocco
29 czech republic
30 tokelau islands

bartman

Immortal
Top four probably pick themselves. Tonga's done well in its international games this year. Then it gets murky.

Like WD82, I feel PNG are artificially high in that order. Would be happy to be proved otherwise when they play some more games.

It's hard to compare different domestic comps when the nations as such haven't played each other. Like chalk and cheese.

langpark

First Grade
The first 13 are ok i guess, but then it becomes wrong:
14 georgia - League is extinct/dormant there, so they should be about #20
15 cook islands
16 serbia
17 united states - Should be close to the top 10, but that'll be for the WCQ's to decide
18 holland
19 japan - too high, that match against USA was about the first we saw of them
20 jamaica
21 italy - hell no, they haven't played even in Aus since 2005
22 greece - no, they only just started out in Greece
23 south africa
24 germany - Should be higher coz of their strong focus on their domestic comp
25 austria
26 estonia
27 malta - Should be higher up
28 morocco
29 czech republic
30 tokelau islands

NK Arsenal

Juniors
I can't find anything on the RLIF about rankings.
Well anyway heres my top 10:

1. Australia
2. NZ
3. England
4. France
5. PNG
6. Tonga
7. Ireland
8. Lebanon
9. Fiji
10. Wales

brendothejet

First Grade
theres a few murky ones there. I know Austria are absolutely no chop whatsoever and would get towled by Malta.

Remember Malta has Premier League/QLD Cup/NRL and UNion internationals in their National team. They would be half decent and would have made a repechage if they'd contested the world cup.

langpark

First Grade
da_greekbulldog said:
Serbia should be lower then greece because greece smashed them
That's true but if it was Serbia-based Serbs vs Greece-based Greeks then they'd smash us. I think their higher rank was recognition for all the good work they've done within Serbia.

screeny

Bench
Surely any RLIF rankings shouldn't contradict the 'official' RLEF rankings?

For example, Wales must be higher than Scotland; Lebanon must be higher than Ireland and Scotland, and Ireland must be higher than Scotland?

If they're ranking them on domestic development too, the RLEF should mimick this process so the two rankings don't throw up such anomalies.

YANTO

Juniors
Seems strange that Serbia are ranked higher than Holland??

Three times we have played them won three lost .........nil......(two home one away) including the WC qualifyer,,,,,,,,,,,,

Serbia after five years of progress have won one international game v new comers Czech Republic ...granted they have played in every european tournament available...but games dont mean points,,,,,DO THEY ??

Maybe the Dutch are still classed as the 'best pub team' in europe despite a decent development programme.

We completed our WC schedule, and have played eleven national (international fixtures ) in three years,

WE have never cryed out of a game (all games completed....unlike some) and never cost the home nation (the hosts) money (again unlike some)

More on the NNRLB and the RLEF later............

screeny

Bench
YANTO said:

Three times we have played them won three lost .........nil......(two home one away) including the WC qualifyer,,,,,,,,,,,,

Serbia after five years of progress have won one international game v new comers Czech Republic ...granted they have played in every european tournament available...but games dont mean points,,,,,DO THEY ??

Maybe the Dutch are still classed as the 'best pub team' in europe despite a decent development programme.

We completed our WC schedule, and have played eleven national (international fixtures ) in three years,

WE have never cryed out of a game (all games completed....unlike some) and never cost the home nation (the hosts) money (again unlike some)

The original post hinted at domestic development being a factor, so perhaps Holland's lack of a local comp stood against it.

jvujosevic

Juniors
langpark said:
That's true but if it was Serbia-based Serbs vs Greece-based Greeks then they'd smash us. I think their higher rank was recognition for all the good work they've done within Serbia.
Yes Greece won game not smash us, result was 44:26 (22:18 half time), and don't forget that they had Michael Korkidas - Super League player and 8-9 Australian Greek players, who played almost whole game, and we played with 17 Serbian base players and 2 Serbian origin amateur RU players from UK, who played league for first time. Imagine if we had Serbian origin RL players in our team like Luke Simeunovic – Halifax U21 and James Simeunovic – Siddal, BARLA Premier, I think that game could be more competitive.

jvujosevic

Juniors
YANTO said:

I don’t not why you are always mention Serbia in some bad way and always discredited Serbian work to develop the game and now I must say something, because you force me to do this:

Yes we play RL for 5 year, form 10th November 2001, but whole 2002 we played domestic competition without any international game and without any true knowledge about RL, until Tas Batieri and Pier Cruzet from France didn’t visit us and help us to organize tour with U18 and senior team to France in February 2003, that we start our true development that means almost 4 years, but we chose hard way to play with sides like Lebanon, France, Morocco,…, who are very strong. This year we did great job:

March/April - Russian professional club Vereya 10 days tour – 2 games
April – Serbian domestic competition (do you have it?)
April/May – England Lionhearts tour 7 days – 2 games
May – British Police Rugby League tour 7 days – 2 games
May/June – WC qualifications 2 home games with Georgia and Russia and one away with Holland (yes, you won game – bravo!)
June/July – Serbian domestic competition (do you have it?)
July – Euro U19 in France (where was your team U19 in that time or maybe you don’t have one)
August – Slavic Cup in Prague – Czech R. vs. Serbia
August – Belgrade U16 9’s tournament with 3 U16 clubs (about 30 U16 players, do you have it?)
August – London MX 9’s (we played on this tournament from 1-8 place and as I no your team played from 9-16 place)
September – Lezignan 9’s (2nd place for Serbia)
October – Orthodox Cup in Athens – Greece vs. Serbia (we helped our Greek friends to introduce best game of all in their homeland)
November – Serbian domestic competition (do you have it?)
November – First high school competition
December – I hope if weather will be OK, that we will play second high school competition
December – Christmas indoor RL touch U12 tournament on artificial grass

As you can see we played 5 international games 2 home and 3 away, we played Euro U19 – and we showed to RL world that we have true youth development (we lost in last minute against Scotland for 5th place, result was 16:14), we played on two 9s tournament, we host 3 touring side – 1 Russian and 2 UK, we develop U16 comp…

Yes I know that we won just one from five games, but I know that all this work that we done in 2006 will feedback in 2007 and 2008, particularly we develop youth sides, which will have more experience than our senior players now.

langpark

First Grade
Impressive. Wat are the main plans for 2007 in Serbia?

I didn't mean to say Greece smashed Serbia, it was a close enough match. But if Greece were at absolute full strength, with Braith Anasta, John Skandalis, George Gatis, Justin Tsoulos etc, then it probably would have been a bigger margin. But Serbia deserve the higher ranking because the are establishing the game in Serbia and are producing players there, something Greece is yet to do.

screeny

Bench
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
South Africa should be higher. Some of the most talented footballers ive ever played amongst came from South Africa

RLIF world ranking criteria:

- national team results in last five years
- number of national team fixtures in last five years
- number of domestic players/referees/coaches
- domestic championship extant
- quality of the players who have played with Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

Ah yes, now I see.......

Latest posts