What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World War 2 movies

simostorm

Bench
Whats some good movie youve seen set in WW2?

Eagle has landed and saving private ryan come to mind for me
any others that you know that are good?

hrundi99

First Grade
The Great Escape
Schindler's List
Battle of Britain
Battle of the Bulge
The Thin Red Line
Grave of the Fireflies

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Nothing beats the Band Of Brothers series. I know it's a series, but it's better than any other WWII movie I've seen..by far.

Choppies

Coach
CC_Eagle said:
Nothing beats the Band Of Brothers series. I know it's a series, but it's better than any other WWII movie I've seen..by far.

agreed. Bought it on DVD earlier this year and kept me in for all 10 episodes.

Amazing series.

J-Man

Juniors
Downfall.

Just released on DVD about the final days of Hitler in the bunker. Very good movie.

Slappy

Juniors
the dirty dozen was a great film, there were some real badasses in it.

There are war films and there are films that are set during the war, but not totally focussed on the fighting.

'The man who wasn't there' is an example of the latter, a great story that really gets you in.

Catch-22 is a fantastic film that really makes fun of and highlights the pointlessness of the whole war machine.

PARRA_FAN said:
Wasnt that Vietnam??

No, it was set in Guadalcanal during WWII. Guadalcanal is in the Solomon Islands. Great movie.

In addition to this, I think the following are well worth watching:

Das Boot
Der Untergang (The Downfall)
The Pianist
Life is Beautiful
Saving Private Ryan (despite the historical inaccuracies)
Schindler's List (ditto)
The Bridge over the River Kwai
The Cruel Sea

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Saving Private Ryan was a good movie, despite the critics saying it was too graphic and voilent. But I like it. :D

CC_Eagle

First Grade
J-Man said:
Downfall.

Just released on DVD about the final days of Hitler in the bunker. Very good movie.

I've been trying to snatch it from the local Blockbuster...The fact that they only have two copies is a pain.