What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World's Best Union Player wishes he could have played League

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Carter would be an excellent league player, which is probably why he likes the game.

Has all the attributes.

You're aware that he plays union, right?

he doesn't tackle any worse than timana tahu....he got pulled from the field after 50 minutes when playing in the centres for us against sth africa as they kept running tries through his channel.

unfortunately he struggled to make the wallabies after that.

carter would be very good at RL. All jokes aside he takes the ball to the line, very good pass, great kicking game and can tackle.

he will never go though.

stormbati

Bench
I dont see why he wouldnt be able to handle it, have a look at some of the halves running around now!

Thomas

First Grade
Its funny that all the Aussie posters who apparently don't know him are all "pfft he'd be useless" but all the Kiwi posters who've seen him in action would agree that he'd go alright in RL.

Go and watch him play. The guy is a good ball player. Runs to the line and has an awesome pass on him. I hate him with a passion.

whatsdoing1982

Juniors
I still don't understand where all this money for NZ or Australian Union players comes from. It's a 4th rate sport, how can they possibly compete financially with us?

(I realise it's a different story in Europe, but in our neck of the woods Union has been relegated to fighting it out with paintball, boxing and field hockey in terms of popularity)

League in Australia has 400 players to pay good dollars to. Union has about 80. And about 4 of those 80 are just worth paying.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Well its a statistical bias thing.

I maintain there are some pretty decent players of Union in NZ that would fit well into League with the correct training. This is a function of the fact that NZ's best young athletic talent, voluntarily or otherwise, plays Union.

I've got no doubt NZ produces on the whole more skilled individual players in Union than Australia, where most of the good talent goes with RL or *vomit* AFL. It's just that Union doesnt encourage the development of the skills that people like to watch. And more skilled teams arent rewarded because of the nature of the game, so defence (and the boot) dominates.

I maintain there are some pretty decent players of Union in NZ that would fit well into League with the correct training. This is a function of the fact that NZ's best young athletic talent, voluntarily or otherwise, plays Union.

I've got no doubt NZ produces on the whole more skilled individual players in Union than Australia, where most of the good talent goes with RL or *vomit* AFL. It's just that Union doesnt encourage the development of the skills that people like to watch. And more skilled teams arent rewarded because of the nature of the game, so defence (and the boot) dominates.

last year i would agree with you.

this year i wouldn't. attack is back in vogue. as are tries.

it's all good. :D

Firey_Dragon

Coach
The headline is broken. I don't recall Matt Giteau ever saying that.

Carter is a much better player than Giteau, well consistently anyway.

Carter would go great in the NRL, has all the assets to make a great five-eighth, it'll never happen though, but any union player giving league a plug is always welcomed :D

Talanexor

Juniors
I think Dan Carter is one of the few Union players who would be very good at league. Even if you forget about his goalkicking, his vision and ball skills are right up there with the Prince/Lockyer/Thurston/Cronk class.

It would be even better if he had a crack at QLD Cup or something. Plenty of older semi-retired players in there. Would be a brilliant advertisement for the game.

I also think League should be pushing this statement EVERYWHERE - it would raise the profile of Rugby League dramatically in NZ and rugby-predominant countries.

Flapper

First Grade
I'll have to tell the missus this one, Kiwi rugby nut she is!

He's a very good Union player, I don't see why he couldn't be a handy 5/8th.

Teddyboy

First Grade
I know we can not go back in time but New Zealand should have went the League back in 1908 and after as New Zealand is so close to Australia it was mad having League being the number one sport in NSW/QLD with Union 2nd fiddle but it was the other way around in NZ.And with me saying that you can now see the effect and decline of Union in New Zealand esp with the Super 14's.
It seems New Zealand can only really support and afford 3 pro teams and those teams being Auckland/Blues,Canturbury/Crusaders and Wellington/Hurricanes and they all be suited better in the NRL.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Carter would make a good go of it in League. Good size, good defender, good with the pill. Add to that his kicking game.

No probs. I would have him.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade

That's pretty much how it is. Seriously Grant Rovelli regularly gets a run in the halves at NRL level.. If you think he is anywhere near Dan Carter's level then you are kidding.

Alex28

Coach
He'd pretty quickly become the best player in the game. He's a cut above in Union - he'd absolutely own Thurston, Lockyer... Inglis might give him a run for his money.

Rovelli

Bench
Carter has the right skill-set to be a solid 5/8. Stronger than some may think, not afraid to take the line on, decision-making, goal-kicking.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
He'd pretty quickly become the best player in the game. He's a cut above in Union - he'd absolutely own Thurston, Lockyer... Inglis might give him a run for his money.

That's a stretch.. He is damn good no doubt but I don't consider him to be anything amazing.

Latest posts