What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

worst performance in a long time

bunnymagci84

Juniors
i love the bunnies but that performance was disgraceful and what a team to lose to
where do we start

1. wesser - very average slow to react to everything
2. Merritt- not bad scored two tries but turned the game on his head with that howler it was 20-6 at that stage
3.best- didnt do much
4.champion- missed 5 tackles
5.talanoa- was average kenny dowell made him look like the slowest player in the nrl
6.sutton- was like the phantom hardly got involved his kicking game was right off
7.sandow- i give him credit for trying he was diving at everything that moved to bring them down made 21 tackles needs to improve the kicking same
8.stuart- busted his arse like usual the rest of the team should play with the heart that he shows
9.luke- tackled well took out symonds well done champ lol
10.asotasi- did look like the same player hopefully he gets better as the year goes on
11.pettybourne- ran hard all game put on a few big hits
12.taylor- came into his own the 2nd half one line break some fine offloads
13.burgess- couple of good charges way to many drop balls he will come good

we as fans beleived all the hype they need to take a good look at themselves stop reading the papers and put in it will be ineresting to see the performance they put in friday night they played like there was no structure some of that has to come back to the coach surely

big country

Juniors
i didnt notice Champs miss that many tackles? I thought Tulz was having a good game until the end bit there....reecy was slow to react to that Perret try considering they tried something similar earlier, so that was disappointing - I thought he could have challenged that high ball easily. Burgess dropped a few...McPherson had a good game when he came on....overall our mistakes gave them the game rather than their own brilliance which people will have you believe - just a few things to work on and we'll be sweet as next game

bunnymagci84

Juniors
Love your optimism mate I hope they turn it around
it was hard to sit there 80min and watch them win the way they did
it's a long season hopefully they learnt a lesson from that loss

bunnymagci84

Juniors
Love your optimism mate I hope they turn it around
it was hard to sit there 80min and watch them win the way they did
it's a long season hopefully they learnt a lesson from that loss

Ike E Bear

Juniors
I actually thought the Roosters were red hot. They would have been hard to beat by anyone on the day. Credit where credit's due.

And I thought the Bunnies have been infinitely worse in a number of games I've watched over the past three seasons.

The Rabbitohs lacked cohesion on the day and did not work well as a unit - offensively or defensively. The kicking game was shocking and made the job really hard considering the Roosters' kicking game was very good.

It's not all doom and gloom.

i love the bunnies but that performance was disgraceful and what a team to lose to
where do we start

1. wesser - very average slow to react to everything
2. Merritt- not bad scored two tries but turned the game on his head with that howler it was 20-6 at that stage
3.best- didnt do much
4.champion- missed 5 tackles
5.talanoa- was average kenny dowell made him look like the slowest player in the nrl
6.sutton- was like the phantom hardly got involved his kicking game was right off
7.sandow- i give him credit for trying he was diving at everything that moved to bring them down made 21 tackles needs to improve the kicking same
8.stuart- busted his arse like usual the rest of the team should play with the heart that he shows
9.luke- tackled well took out symonds well done champ lol
10.asotasi- did look like the same player hopefully he gets better as the year goes on
11.pettybourne- ran hard all game put on a few big hits
12.taylor- came into his own the 2nd half one line break some fine offloads
13.burgess- couple of good charges way to many drop balls he will come good

we as fans beleived all the hype they need to take a good look at themselves stop reading the papers and put in it will be ineresting to see the performance they put in friday night they played like there was no structure some of that has to come back to the coach surely

Hard to argue BM84.

I think they all got bogged down quite quickly and couldn't adapt to the Roosters slick, fast style...will certainly sharpen them up for the Titans. I have no conplaints with any of the starting forwards for a first hit out.

The Titans looked good despite a slow start so I expect a bloody tough encounter, but their halves of Nathan Friend and Scotty Prince are streets ahead of Sandow/Sutton. Our backs have a number of handling and defensive issues to work out, but if lil' Chris and Sutto piss around in the first half of the comp we're in trouble.

They control the play, tempo, style and the ability to create opportunities. No cohesion or real vision, and unfortunately this was all too familiar last season. I'll wait and see how they go at home this Friday, however I have grave reservations that they can truely click.....only happened a few time properly in 09 anyway and this confuses the men around them.

Johnny Sutton - please stand wider and a little deeper of the ruck to receive the ball with a little more time up your sleeve. Don't wait until Perth again to realise this. and pass...we have the speed out wide, give these guys a chance to shine early in a match.

Chris Sandow - back yourself. Go forward and attempt to slip short passes to the big men, don't crab across the field as it just stops any go-forward amongst your team mates. And with your speed, use the chip kick occassionally against the big boofs.

Once these two pivotal guys link suitably then I will regain a mountain of confidence, until then it's a bit of a lottery.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
i didnt notice Champs miss that many tackles? I thought Tulz was having a good game until the end bit there....reecy was slow to react to that Perret try considering they tried something similar earlier, so that was disappointing - I thought he could have challenged that high ball easily. Burgess dropped a few...McPherson had a good game when he came on....overall our mistakes gave them the game rather than their own brilliance which people will have you believe - just a few things to work on and we'll be sweet as next game

:shock:

I hate the Chooks, but that is one of the most laughable things I have read in my life.

They played Souths off the park.

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
Opinion:Champion has got no Zip or pace for a centre after 10m he goes up & down in the one spot,Wesser was disgraceful couldn't tackle my grandmother get rid of him and sign Inu.I think Ben Lowe will make a difference at lock he will get the ball to Sutton & the backs at every chance he's like stuart puts in every week.Sandow? still a big question over him will have some good days but will be overshadowed by the bad days can't wait for Crocker to return to lead the forwards we miss him badly.

Foxy

Juniors
I've got no doubt that Lang will be drilling into the guys this week to show a little more respect for the pill over the next few weeks until our combinations have developed. Our performance on Sunday wasn't too dissimilar to that of the Eeels on Friday night... too many errors that allowed the opposition to take control of the game. In the end it was simple; the Roosters took their opportunities and we dropped the ball too many times, especially in the attacking 20.

I think Sandow and Sutton will learne from this game to be a bit more tactical with their kicking, on the few occasions that they got it right we controlled the game but mostly we gave them good field position and little pressure.

All of this summed up to us playing catch up football which generated more mistakes and the writing was on the wall for a long afternoon.

Wesser seems to have lost some pace and positional play and I am really concerned about the job Scott Princes kicking game could do on him this week. I think we would be detter served with Merrit at fullback and Simpson back on the wing. Wesser could use a few games with the Bears to get his match play back.

Burgess looks great with the ball in his hand and showed some great footwork before the line that suggests he will be a handful all year. I reckon Langy will tell him this week to just take the tackle for the next couple of weeks unless the offload is really on. Once he adjusts to the heavier hits of the NRL his hands should come good.

I think Jason Clark will be a future skipper but with Luke playing 80 minutes he seems to be lost playing lock in the NRL, he needs to spend a bit of time at hooker to find his feet and get his hands on the ball. One touch in 22 minutes and no metres gained isn't good enough for an NRL backrower

Finally Geddes needs more minutes, he is developing into a Luke Stuart type player as he gets older. He really lifted the tempo when he cam on, made 3 tackle busts in 25 minuts of play, no errors, 16 tackles, and almost as many metres with ball as Roy did in twice the time on the paddock. We seem to only have one worker in the forward for too much of the match. get Geddes on after 20 use a combination of 2 of Stuart, Geddes and McPherson (who I am not a fan of but played well on Sunday) to do the grunt work and let Asotasi, Burgess and Taylor run wide off Sutton and have some bodies in motion to make it harder for the defence to read than the one-out stuff we dished up on Sunday

That's my thoughts anyway...

big country

Juniors
:shock:

I hate the Chooks, but that is one of the most laughable things I have read in my life.

They played Souths off the park.

hahaaa - if they played souths off the park they should have won by 40 or 50- that's how bad WE played - take away the intercept and merrit losing the ball and it would have been game on - simple as that

Galeforce

Bench
yes i agree
1) roosters played the best they could --impressive
2) souths final options did not come off , yet they gave themselves many opportunities i.e. they were dominant enough to win.
3) 3 key plays all went Roosters way
a) the intercept try -- against run of play , better pass and we score 12 pt turnaround
b) carneys play , so smart , yet would not come off 99/100 and Wesser should have covered the ball better, so that there was no chance for carney to reach it
c) merrit , i have never seen this in 40 years of watching football
take these plays out score is 24-22 and last two roosters try may not have occurred if souths leading.

souths made many breaks and were dominant at times however let pressure off the roosters with drop balls which broke souths momentum.simple as that. improve the ball control and souths a creating the opportunities to win even this game.

after watching this game ,i continue to have more optimism for souths than roosters for 2010 . and one plus for 2010 now is the yearend odds for top 4 and 8 will be better

Bman26

Juniors
\
yes i agree
1) roosters played the best they could --impressive
2) souths final options did not come off , yet they gave themselves many opportunities i.e. they were dominant enough to win.
3) 3 key plays all went Roosters way
a) the intercept try -- against run of play , better pass and we score 12 pt turnaround
b) carneys play , so smart , yet would not come off 99/100 and Wesser should have covered the ball better, so that there was no chance for carney to reach it
c) merrit , i have never seen this in 40 years of watching football
take these plays out score is 24-22 and last two roosters try may not have occurred if souths leading.

souths made many breaks and were dominant at times however let pressure off the roosters with drop balls which broke souths momentum.simple as that. improve the ball control and souths a creating the opportunities to win even this game.

after watching this game ,i continue to have more optimism for souths than roosters for 2010 . and one plus for 2010 now is the yearend odds for top 4 and 8 will be better

Also, IF your Aunty had balls, she'd be your uncle.

Dave Q

Coach
First game back, lots of cobwebs.

The team is jam-packed with quality players, its taking them a bit of time to warm up. The first few games of the season always produce a few shock results.

So I am still pretty confident.

But we need Max back at fullback where he can chime in more frequently and do the most damage.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
The more football I watch over the years, the more I appreciate how important momentum is.

You can see it shift in a game and it once a team has it the main threats are a) errors, b) some game turning play by the opposition (intercepts, 40/20s, even a great kick return that puts you on the back foot), or c) a "bad" refereeing decision.

In last weekend's game, every time I thought Souths might gain the upper hand in terms of momentum - on the back of great runs by Burgess, Taylor and Merritt - a dropped ball or similar brought it unstuck. Meanwhile, the Roosters maintained momentum with great ball control, good kicking producing excellent field position, some "miracle" plays like the Carney bat-back, and the SKD intercept.

It just felt like a day where the Roosters couldn't lose and the Bunnies couldn't win. If Souths don't find a way to capitalise on good runs and produce some good kicking themselves, then they'll have to hope the opposition invites them in with mistakes of their own.

Latest posts