What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst rules in Rugby League.

T-Boon

Coach
I get why the rule is what it is, and admittedly there is not a good answer to that other than to say, IMO you still need to allow the defence to make a play, to change the game. Defensive football is being legislated out of contact sports, and i like having avenues for a defender to change momemtum

I dont believe you should be rewarded as a kicking team if you fail to get a clean kick away.

I mean you're worried about conisitency with the rules right? That's why you ask the question why?
Well why can a player charge the ball down with his hands, knock it on, and regain possession and it's play on? There is already a complete and total inconsistency in this rule in relation to other rules, and i think the benefit of that inconsistency should be shaded towards the defensive team making the good play and away from the attacking team who have f**ked up

Yep, I would add to this that the mindset should be "you are kicking because you lost the set of possession and you are surrendering possession" rather than "we got to the kick".
Kicking on the last should be hard because the defence knows you are kicking.
Be more unpredictable in your play.
If the defence is able to charge down a kick it is because the attacking team was predictable.

T-Boon

Coach
the most embarrassing area of the game is the ruck and how we still construct the rules of the ruck to make it as much like the old rugby ruck as possible. Example: markers having to be square. Lame.
Its like asking your second wife to dress like your first wife.

nick87

Coach
One of the things i'd like to see looked at is how we determine a dominant tackle
And this has been the case for many years and i want to stress right now that i dont have any real feelings about it in the GF, but the play before the match winning try, BJ made a really good legs tackle on Cordner... Cordner got a great quick play the ball away and the roosters identified the chance to attack the short and won the game with a brilliant bit of attack

Beej holds on any longer and he gives away a penalty.

I would like to see defenders who make clean legs tackles like be allowed more leeway to hold down and get themselves back into position to defend. Right now, the way the game is played, a legs tackle is a bad tackle. Which i think the game should look at.

Though admittedly i cant really think of how that would work... its just a bit of a shame that we're trying to legilsate the game to be safer but right now, a legs tackle is a win for the offence.

Wests is Best

Juniors
The stripping rule is absolutely ridiculous. The call can be interpreted as a knock on by the attacking team or a rake back by the defending team every single time. These are match defining moments in every game, and they come down to interpretation.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Because we have 2 refs trainers and medical staff there's bound to be interference.

To me thats dead ball.

If its the last tackle, it should be a handover to the opposition, otherwise a play the ball.

The other ridiculous rule is the 7 tackle set.

I understand it was brought in to avoid negative play, say someone kicks it dead deliberately to take the fullback out of play but who the heck decided anything in the dead ball line or lost ball over the try line results in a 7 tackle set? How is that fair to the attacking team.

I tell you the people that come up with the rules have got no idea.

gerg

Juniors
One of the things i'd like to see looked at is how we determine a dominant tackle
And this has been the case for many years and i want to stress right now that i dont have any real feelings about it in the GF, but the play before the match winning try, BJ made a really good legs tackle on Cordner... Cordner got a great quick play the ball away and the roosters identified the chance to attack the short and won the game with a brilliant bit of attack

I would like to see defenders who make clean legs tackles like be allowed more leeway to hold down and get themselves back into position to defend. Right now, the way the game is played, a legs tackle is a bad tackle. Which i think the game should look at.

Though admittedly i cant really think of how that would work... its just a bit of a shame that we're trying to legilsate the game to be safer but right now, a legs tackle is a win for the offence.

Further to this is the referees interpreting a 'surrender' tackle. All players are trying to get to the ground as quickly as they can when tackled but the referee occasionally yells out surrender.

T-Boon

Coach

Yep. The principle should be if you get tackled (especially meekly) you lost the play. You should not get an advantage out of getting tackled (especially meekly). The speed of the play the ball should have no influence on the game.

Mr Spock!

Referee
The slowing down the ruck is a bit of a dilemma.

If it's too fast it just encourages dummy half running. In 5 tackles you can be 50m upfield.

Too slow and it allows the defence to get set.

Lambretta

First Grade
Trainers being on the field during play
They should only be allowed on during breaks in play or if a player is injured and can't join play.

6 again signalled from a charge down. If you can't beat the first defender with a kick then that is your problem.

I hate the advantage seven tackle sets give teams, but I like the way it has created more variety in attack and the fact the ball stays in play more as teams are loathed to bomb the end goal

Two referees. Go back to one with linesmen keeping an eye on more than if the ball goes over the sideline.

Dogs Of War

Coach
If a kick is taken inside the opposition 20 and goes out the dead ball line, then it shouldn't be a 7 tackle set.