What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

would a conference system work in the nrl?

dont know if done before here but :

eg sydney conference

tigers, manly, parra, souths, easts, saints, bulldogs, sharks

rest - titans, broncos, cowboys, raiders, NZ, storm, knights, penrith

sydney clubs get their worst crowds mostly for the bottom teams so this way its an attempt to maximise crowds.

weakness - non sydney group - is it strong enough on its own without sydney, they do have newcastle, raiders and penrith though.

c_eagle

Juniors
Is it fair that the non-Sydney clubs have to fly around every fortnight while Sydney clubs get into their cars and drive an hour at most?

Coaster

Bench
I like it, and maybe the winner of the Sydney teams, could join the real comp for a season :p

Coaster

Bench
should go one step further

Brisbane
Gold Coast
NZWarriors
Cowboys
Newcastle
Melbourne
Canberra
Sydney Country
Manly
Sydney City
Central Coast
Perth
Adelaide
Sunshine Coast

should play in one comp, lets call that one the NRL

and
Parramatta
Bulldogs
magpies
Sharks
Newtown
Norths
Rabbits
tigers
Steelers
Dragons
ect could play in another comp, lets call that one the NSWRL

Dogs Of War

Coach
I would probably suggest groups of 4 for conferences. The top team in each conference could then qualify for the finals, and the next best 4 ranked teams by record.

Each conference could play home and away internally (6 games), and also all the other conferences once (12 games), with a rotating system that sees them play one of the other twice in a season (for 4 more games). Which means clubs will have 22 matches a season.

If more clubs are added, you could probably just make 2 groups have 5 teams (for 8 games), and then play everybody else twice (13 games), and also similar to the other scheme, rotating around the conferences to play them a second time (4 games, the conference with 5 teams you would only play 4 of the teams, that could alternate which team you missed each year).

I think it could really build rivalries in a much bigger manner than we already have, as that Parra vs Dogs match has so much more riding on it.

As far as conferences go, I would suggest something like this.

Northen Conf
Nth Qld
Broncos
Titans
Manly

Western Conf
West Tigers
Penrith
Parramatta
Bulldogs

Southern Conf
Canberra
St George
Melbourne
Sharks

Eastern Conf
Roosters
Knights
Souths
Warriors

I could imagine the conference matches would get huge crowds. If Perth and another QLD team were to join the comp. You could just add Perth to the Western Conf, and QLD team to the Northern Conf. Also it is possible that they could realign the conferences if further teams were added to maximise local rivarlies.

As far as the finals would go, I see something like this.

Week 1
Game A : Best Record conf winner vs Worst Record Conf winner (winner gets week off)
Game B : 2nd Best Record conf winner vs 3rd Best record Conf winner (winner gets week off)
Game C : Best wildcard team vs Worst wildcard team (Loser eliminated)
Game D : 2nd Best record wildcard team vs 3rd Best record wildcard team (Loser eliminated)

Week 2
Game E: Loser Game A vs Winner Game C (Loser eliminated)
Game F : Loser Game B vs Winner Game D (Loser eliminated)

Week 3
Game G: Winner Game A vs Winner Game E (Loser eliminated)
Game H : Winner Game B vs Winner Game F (Loser eliminated)

Week 4
Grand Final : Winner Game G vs Winner Game H

The other bonus, is that like NFL. Clubs would then be able to call themselves champ of the local rivalries via the division championships. As well you have a team from each region represented, which nearly guarantees a team from QLD is involved in the finals, one from West Sydney etc...

Last edited:

theicemandanno

Juniors
Your system sounds good:

Northern Conference:
Knights
Broncos
Titans
Cowboys

Eastern Conf
Roosters
Manly
Souths
Warriors

Plus, I would leave the system with 18 rounds (Play all teams once, then play your own conference home and away).

I would love to see Home and Away finals as well (or best of 3 like in the NBA).....NRL seems to toss over Finals revenue....this would be a way to bolster income.

macavity

Referee
dont know if done before here but :

eg sydney conference

tigers, manly, parra, souths, easts, saints, bulldogs, sharks

rest - titans, broncos, cowboys, raiders, NZ, storm, knights, penrith

sydney clubs get their worst crowds mostly for the bottom teams so this way its an attempt to maximise crowds.

weakness - non sydney group - is it strong enough on its own without sydney, they do have newcastle, raiders and penrith though.

bwahahahaha

put most of the strongest teams in the "rest" and then worry about their strength? bwahahaha

I think it won't work simply because it is an unfair advantage to the Sydney clubs. they get to play the other Sydney clubs. Even worse than the current unfair draw (Saints golden draw, anyone....)

hellteam

First Grade
That would be boring playing the same teams all the time. And it's an annoying system because in the NFL often teams from weak conferences make the playoffs and stronger teams from other conferences miss out.

Dogs Of War

Coach
That would be boring playing the same teams all the time. And it's an annoying system because in the NFL often teams from weak conferences make the playoffs and stronger teams from other conferences miss out.

Unlike the American system. You play every team at least once. Just the teams in you conference you get to play twice, as well as one of the other conferences.

The idea is that you play more local teams, and thus increase crowds for those local derbies, as not only is it regional rivalry, the fixture carries even more weight due to the conference winner automatically qualifying for the finals.

But that's not to say that they still can't qualify, you play enough games against the other pools to be able to still have a great record and qualify as a wildcard.

TheDalek079

Bench
don't think it'd work if you only played conference members. if it involves playing them twice, and the other teams once, it may work.

wouldn't want a conference system though. leave it as it is

Dogs Of War

Coach
Your system sounds good:

Northern Conference:
Knights
Broncos
Titans
Cowboys

Eastern Conf
Roosters
Manly
Souths
Warriors

I didn't put the Knights in that group as it they have good travelling fans who would probably come to away games in Sydney. While Manly fans don't travel past the bridge, as well there ground only really has enough seats to accommodate their own fans.

Plus, I would leave the system with 18 rounds (Play all teams once, then play your own conference home and away).

I would love to see Home and Away finals as well (or best of 3 like in the NBA).....NRL seems to toss over Finals revenue....this would be a way to bolster income.

I don't think the clubs would go for the 18 round system, to few games to gain income from, and I would think less product would impact the TV money.

As for the three game playoffs, NBA is an outscoring fest which teams are expected to play 3 games a week in. NRL is much more similar to NFL in which the prize is on the line when you take the field.

bwahahahaha

put most of the strongest teams in the "rest" and then worry about their strength? bwahahaha

I think it won't work simply because it is an unfair advantage to the Sydney clubs. they get to play the other Sydney clubs. Even worse than the current unfair draw (Saints golden draw, anyone....)

thats my point.

by having a strong club like newcastle in that division it might make up for not having the sydney clubs

don't think it'd work if you only played conference members. if it involves playing them twice, and the other teams once, it may work.

i was originally thinking only play teams in your own conference but thats only 14 rounds so thats a problem.

you couldnt play the same clubs 3 times so maybe it would have to be play the other group once which pretty much is close to the sitiation now so i guess there goes that idea.

Dogs Of War

Coach

The draw is rigged as it is. With a conference system it becomes much easier to work out (as well as transparent), and as it values local rivalries above all else, you would find a much improved crowds for these matches.

macavity

Referee
thats my point.

by having a strong club like newcastle in that division it might make up for not having the sydney clubs

you miss my point. the only "weak" clubs in the "rest" conference are arguably Penrith and Canberra. and they are hardly weak.

we need a draw where every team plays every other twice.

as it is, the draw has a huge influence on ladder position. some teams (ie Dragons) get a really easy run - and others (ie Knights) have just about everything against them draw wise.

these proposals will only make that worse.

Latest posts