What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would have 'Pre' won in '76???

nibbs

Bench
One of the great debates in recent times is would have Steve Prefontaine won gold in the 1500m at Montreal in 1976. Pre was cut down in his prime when he died in a car crash. He never made it to Montreal.

John Walker happened to win the gold on a sunny afternoon. But ever since seeing 'Pre' the movie, one of hollywoods best films of the mid 1990s, I've been asking myself a question. Would have Pre won. A quote from that film 'by god, he would have won in Montreal' lingers on and on in mind.

Would have he won? Walker was a world record breaker, but by god Pre was one determined son of bitch. He would have dug deep and fought Walker to the tilt.

So!?!? Would have he won. By god who knows...

Pre was favoured to win the 5000 meters, not the 1500. 5k was his best race.

From one of the Pre websites:

"A man who was favored to win the 5,000 Meter run at the 1976 Montreal Olympics. A man who owned every American running record from 2,000 Meters to 10,000 Meters and 2 Miles to 6 Miles at the time of his tragic death in 1975."

half

Coach
yeah i don't think nibblet wants to debate the 5000. it's obvious pre would've won that

but the 1500 is more open to debate

nibbs

Bench
Yeah, I know fella. I didn't realise that until after making that post. If Pre was to race against Walker, I'd have put my money on Walker. Pre's fastest Mile was 3:54. Walker was the first man to go under 3:50. However Pre was only a youngster and not near his prime. Could have been a great race

Latest posts