What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would McLinden At Fullback Offer More Than Schifcofske???

Vicious

Bench
I`m far from a Raiders fan,but can`t believe a lot of League fans have the Raiders finishing down the bottom end of the ladder next season.I like a lot of you supporters aren`t too confident in Coach Matt Elliott,but to his credit,I reckon he`s made quite a few handy pick ups for you guys next season and combined with some of the amazing young talent you have at the club,I reckon you will have a successful year next season.I realise Schifcofske has been a great player for the Raiders,but I really believe Mark McLinden playing fullback could add a whole new dimension to your attack.What are your thuaghts on this considering there has been talk of Clinton leaving the club in any case.

Anonymous

Juniors
Where would Clinton play if we moved Marty to 1?

Marty is brilliant in the 1, a real Matt Bowen style.

hrundi99

First Grade
He'd add pace and a bit more of the unknown factor but I'd be concerned with his defence.

I'm more comfortable with him consistently closer to the action.

Moving Schif would be a blunder.

azza

Juniors
No. Defence is ordinary and his positional play back there has been mediocre to say the least when he has been given a chance there. Marshall Chalk is the better prospect.

Vicious

Bench
azza said:
No. Defence is ordinary and his positional play back there has been mediocre to say the least when he has been given a chance there. Marshall Chalk is the better prospect.

Chalk could always play fullback in defence,with McLinden moving there in attack.

Kris_man

Bench
McLinden would be a top fullback IMO (good positional play can be learnt - it's not some innate quality), but unfortunately Schif wouldn't be good anywhere else, and Macca can play in about 500 different positions. to say McLinden's defence is too poor for a fullback is strange - what are the other options - leave him in the middle to tackle the big forwards?? surely the player who makes the least tackles in the team is the fullback. in saying that, having good defence as a fullback is still important, and Schifcofske's last line of defence is fantastic. i think his attack needs to improve on what it was in 2004, though. we need more early 2003 Schif, the Schif that was the primary factor behind our large winning streak of 2003. the Schif of 2004, whilst being responsible for keeping our losses to a respectable margin inon a number of occasions, was not winning us matches.

brenno

Juniors
Mclinden has no future at the Raiders in my opinion if there isn't a dramatic improvement in his defence period! He has managed to play over 150FG with his raw attacking ability and speed alone. However, as he matures as a player he will almost certaintly lose his speed (he's already lost a fair bit of speed if u ask me) and then what else does he offer once that happens? He's not a ball player, he can't kick consistently well, has no organisational skills and he isn't what you would call a great leader. I would like to see him develop into a 9 but, his defence is far too suspect and his passing game isn't good. The potential signing of Withers also makes Mclinden's future unclear imo. Another disappointing year and i really do believe questions need to be asked as to why he's at the Raiders. He's a loyal raider, local junior, fan/crowd favourite and an exciting player. Yet, is he someone that can help turn the Raiders into a premiership force in the near future?

Anonymous

Juniors
I see alot of similarities between him and Bowen. I think Schif will go to England after next year, then maybe Marty to fullback.

azza

Juniors
With Bronx Goodwin and Marshall Chalk in the mix, I severely doubt McLinden will see fullback. Even Elliot couldn't be that stupid (touch wood).

Raider_69

Post Whore
azza said:
With Bronx Goodwin and Marshall Chalk in the mix, I severely doubt McLinden will see fullback. Even Elliot couldn't be that stupid (touch wood).

**touches more wood just to be sure**

Kris_man

Bench
don't worry about Matt Gafa :roll:. IMO, Bronx has a mountain of work in front of him to get in front of Gaf and Chalk in the queue. I'd even have Mogg, Graham or McLinden ahead of him. I seriously think Gaf is the forgotten man - i don't know why he even got dropped in the first place. I'd post my 2005 backline again, but i've already done it in like 1000 other threads. suffice to say, Gafa's in it.

Greenblooded

Juniors
Kris_man said:
don't worry about Matt Gafa :roll:. IMO, Bronx has a mountain of work in front of him to get in front of Gaf and Chalk in the queue. I'd even have Mogg, Graham or McLinden ahead of him. I seriously think Gaf is the forgotten man - i don't know why he even got dropped in the first place. I'd post my 2005 backline again, but i've already done it in like 1000 other threads. suffice to say, Gafa's in it.

Agreed Gaf has to be in somewhere

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I think with a good/great organising halfback inside him Macca would be a standout 5/8th in the mould of a Preston Cambell. I think physically he is too small for a fullback however that argument can be shot down simply by mentioning Matt Bowen.

azza

Juniors
Kris_man said:

WTF is the use of rolling your virtual eyes? Did I say that list was exclusive? Did I say Matt Gafa was NOT in the mix?

SOULS 04

Juniors
maccas is a 5/8 for sure

moving schif out of there would be ridiculous

i really do think he's the best all round fullback in the comp... prolly the best defense and pretty damn good attack... not as good as slater or wesser in attack but they are no where near as good in defense or under the high balls.

Um Jammer Lammy

Juniors
I like Schifcofske at fullback he's a quality player no doubt, McLinden is to but I think in his time in the NRL he has been everywhere and hasn't had a real chance to settle. Then when he has been in the same postion for a while which gives him a chance to settle into the role he gets paired up with Brad Drew every match and goes from 7 to the 6 position every 20-30 minutes or so which wouldn't help anyone. I think if he played the same position for 10 games straight without 2 or 3 positional changes during a match, he would get used to the one role and then he'd develop from there.

Plus what I think he needs is a good halfback to help him out and for the half back to use McLinden as an attacking opiton because I'm sick of Mclinden having to create the attacking play when he is the one most likely to make an attacking raid when he's being used as the reciever. I hope you all can understand that. :?

Kris_man

Bench
Would McLinden At Fullback Offer More Than Schifcofske???
in attack, yes. in defence, no.

in regards to the high ball, i think Slater's underrated - i rarely see him drop one. and Schif in 2004 was hopeless, as bad as anyone.

Latest posts