What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would the NRL support a football Champions League competition

Well I know NRL is already the best football competiton in the world but to make it even better they should have a Champions League comp like the soccer does in Europe.

They have like the four best clubs from each league coming up against each other every week it's called the Champions Soccer League or something.

We could get the 4 best teams from Australia,NZ,Pommyland,France,Russia,USA,Lebanon and sat Morocco and at the end of the domestic football season have a big football Champions League competiton it would be awesome.

Would the NRL top brass go for it?

Ari Gold

Bench
Good suggestion Joey...

A quick email to the NRL will certainly help your cause, give them a push in the right direction.

Oh and also to create public awareness of your idea and create discussion on the streets about this initiative, why not ring a talk-back radio station and express your theory so that the whole of Sydney can hear it and get behind you.

markstan

Juniors
Holy cow

Rugby League is great but I get the feeling you seem in 2 minds about how good Rugby League is. Continually stating NRL is the best (football thing or whatever) in the world tends to suggest it aint. In some circumstances continually stating something often calls it into question. i.e Horse Racing "sport of Kings" no longer the sport of kings probably the sport of the peasants! If Rugby League is great one dosen't need to emphasize that fact, once will suffice.

gregstar

Referee
why is it that i get the feeling J1N1F & stanley here share a chemicalstorm / billy the kid type relationship?

bender

Juniors
Actually, I think a Champions League Could work, if it was done properly!

It couldnt run anything like the Soccer World Cup. It would Feature:

Round 1 should be played during the NRL season. It would feature
Group 1 - Europe

the champions of Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Russia, Georgia, Serbia Competitions.

Group 2 - Oceania
The champions of Samoa, Fiji, Tonga, Western Australia, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia, Cook Islands

Group 3 - America
The Champions of:
USA, South Africa, Japan, Argentina, West Indies.

The winner of each of these 3 groups would qualify for Round 2 which would be televised through Foxtel and would feature:
Qld Cup Champions, NSW (non NRL Clubs Champions), Bartercard Champions, PNG SP Cup Champions, French Champions, NL1 Champions, and the winner of groups 1, 2 and 3. This would be a straight knockout championship to find a single winner. The majority of these games would be played during the semifinal series when there are televised spots available due to the lack of semi final games.

Stage 3 - Would feature a 3 match World Club Championship tri-series with the NRL Premiers and the British Premiers, played the week after the Grand Final. To make things a little interesting, the winner of group 2 would be entitled to pay 5 professional imports from other clubs to play in their side. So, for Example, if Toulose were to win the 2nd stage playoff last year, they would be entitled to add say Andrew Johns, Darren Lockyer, Luke Bailey, Mark O'Meley and Mark Gasnier to their side. This could potentially give them a real chance at winning the WCC and it would create plenty of interest outside the NRL, which is something i think rugby league needs to do.

***MH***

Bench
Since when did the NRL or the ARL have such a desire to develop the game internationally..... they don't even have the desire to run the game anywhere but New South Wales and Queensland.

Dakink

Bench
gregstar said:
why is it that i get the feeling J1N1F & stanley here share a chemicalstorm / billy the kid type relationship?

:lol::lol:

Couldnt agree more, poor divided fool.

LESStar58

Referee
We have a hard enogh time getting the elite players to play i the WCC!

Soccer players get payed squillions! RL players would want more money if they had to play more games...

Latest posts