What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wounded Sharks still a danger

OurRedV

Juniors
St George Illawarra are bracing for a backlash from the embattled Sharks in tomorrow night's derby at Toyota Park.
Cronulla are languishing in last place on the NRL ladder and have endured a fortnight of off-field dramas.
Revelations about their infamous preseason trip to New Zealand in 2002, a debt crisis and then the positive drug test of forward Reni Maitua - among other controversies - have the club reeling.
The group sex allegations stemming from 2002 and other issues have resulted in sponsors withdrawing commitment to the financially embattled club.
The Sharks are in danger of folding. It is believed they have debts totalling $12 million and, to make matters worse, they have played eight games without winning.
In contrast, the Dragons are flying high. They are third on the ladder and equal favourites in premiership betting. But none of that would matter tomorrow, St George Illawarra centre Beau Scott said.
Scott played for the Sharks in 2005-06 and knows exactly what their mindset will be when the rivals clash.
"They always get up for the local derby - they don't like the Dragons too much as a team," he said. "They're struggling a bit for a win at the moment so they'll be really keen to get out on the weekend and knock the two points off."
Winger Wendell Sailor agreed the rivalry would bring out the best in Cronulla, but added his side would be ready for a tough match.
"I think you can throw the form out the window in the local derbies," he said.
"They're going to be tough, we know they're going to turn out, we know they're going to boo us.
"We've got a job to do and we trust our ability to play a good 80 minutes of football and hang in there.
"I think we showed that last week against the Dogs, even though we probably should have put them away a bit earlier. It's part of this culture when we play football we play for 80 minutes, win, lose or draw.
"I hate to say it but they're due for a win and we don't want it to be against us."
Sailor believes the quality of players at the Sharks, who played off for a grand final spot last year, mean they won't stay at the bottom of the table for long.
"I can see them finishing much higher. They've got too good of a roster not to finish much higher," he said.
"At the moment Cronulla are copping a hammering ... but their football team - there's too many talented guys to be running last."

Story here

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
game will go one of two ways... the sharks will come out fired up & beat us...

or.....

their spirit will be broken & we'll beat em by 40.

LazyDreamer

Bench
game will go one of two ways... the sharks will come out fired up & beat us...

or.....

their spirit will be broken & we'll beat em by 40.

If they come out with ay spirit left whatsoever, 20 minutes of our defense should quell that little fire.

With the way our attack's travelling though, we'll struggle to beat them by 20...even 10. Pity, coz we should be able to well & truly put 'em to the sword & win by 50.

Doug2234

First Grade
They will be fired up and ready to roll us. This is the saving game of the club and take a lot of focus of the admin side and more on the team..

This game is for there survival...

Jersey No 14

Juniors
I would be happy with a sold mistake free game from the dragons.
That dogs game wasn't a good one for them.
The score will take care of itself.
By 1 or 30.
Cronulla WILL come at them, this is what Saints need - Discipline in the face of adversity.

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
If the Dragons do not put them to the sword and run up a cricket score against them. The Dragons do not deserve to make the eight in 2009

KILL THE SHARKS

big pat

Coach
its only a danger game if you let it, i'm sure bennett will have a game plan, the guys just need to execute it or benny will kick their arse. and i'm sure dragon players will have enough incentives of their own.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
The only thing that will/could lose us this game is complacency. I'm sure Benny will have the boys ready to overcome that. Saints by 20.

SerbDragon

Coach
After letting the dogs back into the game last week..im sure bennets tore them (the team) all a new assh0le.

I dont think complaceny will be an issue this weekend. If i see a repeat of last weeekend i will truly be worried.

bennys got our backs, im sure of it

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I'll be happy to win by 1.

Forget all the other crap that's going on in the shire.

A very timely reminder that these are the type of games we lose. Saints were far from impressive last week - killed them in the first half but struggled to get points on the board. No enough go forward and still some work to do.

This is not the same team that beat Brisbane in round 4. Since then, apart from the flogging of Easts in round 7, Saints have battled with two close wins and one loss.

Hopefully this match will help to play us back into some form.

Latest posts