What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WSDJRL Broke

siv

First Grade
Apparently no longer the WSDJRL.

Now known as the Wests Tigers Junior Rugby League according to one of my clubs committee members.

What territory does it cover ?

Noting that there were 3 regions

SW Sydney (Liverpool to Campbelltown)
Old Wests (Ashfield to Lidcombe)
Balmain

And SW Sydney encroches on Group 6 more and more these days

rightleftin

Juniors

Balmain

And SW Sydney encroches on Group 6 more and more these days[/QUOT

"old wests" was split between Canterbury and Balmain in the 1988. Surviving clubs:

Balmain - Enfield Feds, Concord-Burwood
Canterbury - Berala Bears

Recent addition, Strathfield Raiders incorporated in Balmain.

Balmain also grabbed Five Dock from Wests earlier in the 80's.
Enfield split into 2 clubs in 1988 with Belfield putting 10 teams in Canterbury and 4 staying with Enfield in Balmain. The following year all sides returned to Enfield but in the Canterbury comp. The club folded and when rebirthed was in Balmain.

Benedicts, Auburn and Croydon Park all played in Canterbury but have since folded.

Concord was down to just an A grade in the Business Houses and when that folded they somehow made a merger with Burwood.

Last edited:
Reactions: siv

thorson1987

Coach

Balmain

And SW Sydney encroches on Group 6 more and more these days

All it is is a name change. Will still cover from Liverpool to Rosemeadow.

There has been talk of possibly a merger with Group 6, but if that happened I would say the northern clubs (liverpool) will move into Parra comp like they used to be before the Magpies moved to Campbelltown.

kbw

Bench
I have watched this junior funding debate with interest

NRL v LC v Parent funded

In the city LCs are orientated with the district while in the country the ones that exist are oriented with teams

So why do Soccer parents feel happy to spend big while we sqabble if the NRL should pay

In RL junior teams dont pay for national team or contribute to NRL clubs

I would like to see more money in nation wide insurance for RL

There were funds set aside for facilities I would like to see or hear the results

But in districts where there are health LCs like Easts I would expect NO contribution by the NRL to basic payments. With $50 mil in the bank I would expects Easts LC to pay for all junior regis in Easts, Norths and CC regions if they want that association

I would rather see NRL other junior funds diverted to non healthy LC aligned districts clubs. But they palm this off as a grant via the NSWRL so it then becomes their job to distribute to their affiliates

But I would be interested in hearing what costs you think should be contributed to

soccer is a disgrace its all about making money out of the kids. Kids play in "rep sides" that are not selected but if you want to pay the large fees sometimes over $1000 dollars you can play in a "rep side"

Easts junior clubs are lucky that the NRL club funds them. Other clubs like Cabra, Wenty, St Marys even luckier.
Its hard to determine a funding model in an environment where there is so much disparity.
Basically I think in a sport that brings in large revenue, there needs to be more done to improve the facilities for the normal everyday junior RL cluib, especially in the counttry.

kbw

Bench
Stick to facts please, not emotive hyperbole.

you probably would not understand but that is fact. Its something I do feel strongly about, but can see without influence as I come from an environment where the junior clubs are funded very well, just not by the NRL

siv

First Grade
soccer is a disgrace its all about making money out of the kids. Kids play in "rep sides" that are not selected but if you want to pay the large fees sometimes over $1000 dollars you can play in a "rep side"

Easts junior clubs are lucky that the NRL club funds them. Other clubs like Cabra, Wenty, St Marys even luckier.
Its hard to determine a funding model in an environment where there is so much disparity.
Basically I think in a sport that brings in large revenue, there needs to be more done to improve the facilities for the normal everyday junior RL cluib, especially in the counttry.

What is the NRL funding in the Easts JDRL ?

kbw

Bench
What is the NRL funding in the Easts JDRL ?

Apart from the development officers that go around schools etc, It is none.
The NSWRL have one staff member that has a decent presence which may or may not be unique
The Roosters NRL club fund their own junior league.

siv

First Grade
So how are NRL development officers structured and what areas are they supposed to cover ?

Latest posts