What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wtf?

elBandido

Juniors
Absolutely full of jubilation after Les Catalans marvellous victory it really is a great day to be a Rugby League fan.

But I notice on this sites news section

'A huge disappointment as the Wigan Warriors were narrowly defeated in their engage Super League opener against the new boys the Catalans Dragons in the south of France.

Over 11,000 watched the history making clash, 2,000 in cherry and white and in a real nipand tuck encounter it was the home side that snatched the points.'

It was written by someone called Wigan Warriors and I can understand why he/she was personally disappointed but surely it would be better to have a neutral write it?

This is Australias top RL forum and to have such a negative view on what was a fantastic night for our great game is poor.

bartman

Immortal
Mate, I think you'll find the article was sourced from the Wigan Warriors own website and credited as such, and was probably the first match report available online.

You've got to go easy on whoever put it up, who was presumably just trying to report the news as it happens? If Catalans offered match reviews that quick in English, then that would have been up on the news section here as well.

But if you wait a day or so, the impartial official review from Superleague itself will be through on the news items of this site, and that should be more in line with what you're after?

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
It was disappointing to read RLFANS last night after the game. There was a real anti-French vibe going on, a lot of which was bordering on jingoism.

I think they will be pretty unpopular this season. There are a lot of people in Super League who do not want them to be there.

Seeing them beat Wigan had me jumping round the front room. I didn't know the score beforehand after driving back from the Quins game with CDs on. To say I was surprised at Wigan collapsing late on was an understatement.

Viva la France!!!

St.John

Juniors
Fairleigh Good! said:
It was disappointing to read RLFANS last night after the game. There was a real anti-French vibe going on, a lot of which was bordering on jingoism.

From a few, yes. There were many others setting them straight.

I think they will be pretty unpopular this season. There are a lot of people in Super League who do not want them to be there.

The people who don't want them are vastly outnumbered by the people who do. And this situation will only improve as more people find out about the history of French RL, the heritage it has and the opportunity the Cats offers for the native French players and fans ( let alone the international team ).

Seeing them beat Wigan had me jumping round the front room. I didn't know the score beforehand after driving back from the Quins game with CDs on. To say I was surprised at Wigan collapsing late on was an understatement.

Viva la France!!!

It was brilliant. I only had it on a live internet radio feed, and the last 10 mins were awesome. The crowd sounded hilarious from the broadcast.

bartman

Immortal
For the original poster, the article in question has now been edited to read:

"A huge disappointment for the Wigan Warriors, as they were narrowly defeated..."

I hope that makes it clearer that the site wasn't taking any stance on this site having a negative view?

terracesider

Juniors
St.John said:
...this situation will only improve as more people find out about the history of French RL, the heritage it has and the opportunity the Cats offers for the native French players and fans ( let alone the international team ).

I wouldn't count on it. If they haven't grasped by now that that Les Catalans' inclusion in ESL is a deperate attempt to save the very existance of French RL, they're unlikely ever to figure out why a strong French RL is so important to the game's future.

Evil Homer

Staff member
The only anti-French vibe I've seen TBH is from weaker clubs like Salford and Widnes that obviously feel threatened by them.

pmarrow

Juniors
I don't think anyone has a problem with the french personally , its just people are annoyed at the RFL. If they finish 12th then the 11th placed team will be relegated and thats most peoples concern, been that unlucky 11th team. You'll find those are the views of most fans whose team is expected to be propping up the table.

Other fans from the lower leagues are just moaning that there clubs have/are working hard in order to get there team into ESL and then some French teams just joins.

I can see why people are moaning but its all aimed at the RFL and not the French team. Personally I think they should have at least started off in National League 1.

St.John

Juniors
pmarrow said:
I don't think anyone has a problem with the french personally , its just people are annoyed at the RFL. If they finish 12th then the 11th placed team will be relegated and thats most peoples concern, been that unlucky 11th team. You'll find those are the views of most fans whose team is expected to be propping up the table.

Other fans from the lower leagues are just moaning that there clubs have/are working hard in order to get there team into ESL and then some French teams just joins.

I can see why people are moaning but its all aimed at the RFL and not the French team. Personally I think they should have at least started off in National League 1.

French teams wanted to join the National Leagues. The Nat clubs voted against it. Tough sh*t.

MrCharisma

Bench
The loss for Wigan was a disappointment to myself, since I've been claiming Wigan are potentially back to their 90's dynatsy title.

I'm just going to say they lost because Gareth Hock wasn't playing :D

terracesider

Juniors
pmarrow said:
I don't think anyone has a problem with the french personally , its just people are annoyed at the RFL.

With good reason. I don't recall the RFL ever making the detailed arguments: why a French side should be in the ESL at the expense of an English side; or demonstrating precisely how that they think it will save the game in France.

I think it's fairly clear that the chairmen opted to lose a club rather than split the TV money 13 ways and that they don't have any idea beyond blind optimism of how precisely it's going to benefit French RL. Add that to the, by now annual, farce of the lack of transparency surrounding promotion and relegation and it's no wonder that "people are annoyed at the RFL."