What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWE WrestleMania 31

DB

First Grade
I forgive them for the absolute shit buildup to WM. One of the best PPV's of the year.

Rhyno

First Grade
Glad undertaker won it would of sucked if he lost 2 years in arow.

Liked the Rock and Rousey segment

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
It's funny reading people's comments about the quality of Mania before and after the main event result. People were shitting on most of the booking on other forums, but the main event (which was awesome) has them saying how great the entire PPV was all of a sudden.

Breaking it down:

- Ladder match was good, but I won't remember it in a few months time. Bryan winning made fans happy and there were a few okay spots, but nothing I'd be racing out to watch again.
- Diva match was just there.
- Orton v Rollins was mostly good for the Curb Stomp/RKO out of nowhere double. Decent enough, but for such a blood feud it was lacking oomph.
- Sting v Triple H was an overbooked, fun match. Not sure why Triple H went over and especially not sure why he'd do a handshake and then cut a promo making light of beating Sting an hour or so later. Out of character for him to offer the handshake, and weird that Sting would accept it given he's supposed to hate Triple H and lost to shenanigans.
- Undertaker v Wyatt was decent. Wyatt looked good. Not sure what to make of the result. If you have Taker go over, he should at least put Wyatt over in the fallout - either verbally, with a hand raise, or by taking a beating.
- Cena v Rusev: Great match. Rusev can go. Cena busted out his first new move in what seems like an eternity. Not sure why he had to win, aside from 'MERICA!
- Main event was awesome. Lesnar dominated and gave fans what they wanted, but Reigns not giving up protected him. Rollins coming out and stealing the title under triple threat rules was infinitely preferable to Reigns winning it (even with a string of finishers), and gives Lesnar plenty of cause to demand a rematch.

All told - a good, but not great event in my eyes. Two (maybe three) very good matches work-rate wise, a few less than awesome booking decisions, and some duds. Tag title match would have been better on the main card than the diva match or arguably Rollins v Orton.

azzah72

Bench
I enjoyed this Mania more than most in recent years.

Although I liked last years, It was too predictable.

Things about this years I liked a lot more, probably because it wasn't telegraphed. I wasn't sure which way the majority of the matches would go.

I would of preferred Sting and Rusev to win but other then that, I was pretty happy.

I f**king love lesnar, that bloke just adds an aura, a prestige to anything he does in the ring even if technically he isn't doing that much.
People rate his matches ****+ when all he really does is knees, germans and F5's and yet I agree, his matches are great to watch for some reason.

Reigns was awesome and the cash in was great, I wasn't sure if they'd do it or not but they did and it was cool, it also makes the WHT scene very interesting. You basically have Lensnar, Reigns, Rollins and Orton all with a legit reason to be there.

afinalsin666

First Grade
For an event built on a foundation of shit, it sure worked out alright. Fun the whole way through. The pageantry was really special this year, which definitely helped elevate it. All the matches were good to great I thought. Only downside was rock Rousey v the authority. Stretched way too long. I also hate sunlight ppvs.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Yeah, I think they were intentionally dragging the Rock/Rousey v Authority stuff out hoping it would be dark enough for the Undertaker/Wyatt entrances to be after dark. Wyatt's, in particular, lost a lot by being in daylight.

With so many contenders for the gold, I wouldn't mind seeing the Elimination Chamber make a return. Orton v Rollins v Lesnar v Reigns already makes sense, and I'm sure you could find two guys with a claim to stake. I'd say Cena/Bryan, but I'd rather they work on separate programs for their respective belts for now.

Could always have qualifiers for the last two spots. Could be a good opportunity to inject guys like Ziggler, Wyatt, Ambrose etc. into things.

Parra Pride

Coach
I see people around going on about being surprised that they had a heel win because it wouldn't be a happy ending, but Reigns winning wouldn't have exactly been a happy ending with him getting booed out of the building everytime I hit a move. I think that actually helped make the cash in timing work, Reigns had hit a few Superman Punches and Spears, and it was seemingly only a matter of time until he hit the one that put Lesnar down, so Rollins getting in the way of the win and pulling it out for himself gets a good reception.

steggz

Juniors
Wasn't a bad show. I switched off mentally during Sting v HHH, was one of the more boring matches.

Making it a WCW/WWF battle was only going to lead to one result.

Taker might have one more in him, but that's it... or maybe he's really good at playing old.

Bryan and Cena winning IC/US will probably lead to more of a spotlight on those titles.

Main event was good quality.

Eddie Lab

Juniors
it was good considering none of the matches were great. think most people are so high on it because everyone was expecting a pile of shit. day time open stadium brought down the first half of the show.

I'd say it's a 7/10

I marked out the whole show. That was awesome. Go Seth!! Who would have thought he would be the first Shield member to win the WWE title when he was pretty much considered to be the 3rd guy during the Shields time.

Big Pete

Referee
I missed the first hour of the show and by the time I tuned in, HHH was in the middle of his awesome entrance.

I hated the match. If it was inside it's own capsule I would have been cool with it but during the feud Sting basically makes the point that HHH reminds Sting of the nWo and how he failed once and he wasn't going to fail again. He also made the point that he isn't back to represent WCW but to show HHH up.

It was like a really uneducated historical re-enactment of the Monday Night Wars and it was so off base it was completely comical which didn't suit the build up one bit.

To make matters worse, HHH finishes Sting off with an anti-climatic hammer shot and despite being utterly screwed, Sting goes ahead and shakes HHH's hand despite everything.

He truly is the dumbest babyface in Pro Wrestling history.

Rusev/Cena was basically everything it needed to be. Awesome entrance, couple of neat spots from both guys but I found the finish anti-climatic. Far be it from me to criticise for only hitting one finisher - if anything I generally like it, but the AA has been so tarnished that it just felt weak on a guy who had been so unstoppable for so long. If Cena had to go over, I'm glad he was cast as US Champion and really hope the mid-card belts really get a chance to shine now that we've got two stars holding them. While it basically turned into a Ron Simmons segment, the Bryan/Legends segment fills me with some hope.

Wyatt/Taker gets a pass but I had no interest in the match and really thought it was a no-win situation either way.

Rock/Rousey v Authority segment had some really good high spots. The way they introduced Rousey was perfect but they just dragged it out to the point where I lost interest.

Loved the main event and considering everything, Rollins going over was the right choice but I still hate Money in the Bank. It's such a cheap get out of jail free card and rarely ends well for anyone. I can live with it since Reigns winning in any fashion would have sucked but really the WWE should never have been in that position to begin with.

alien

Referee
Don't like HHH winning, but that aside the first three matches have been great. I can't wait for WWE to kill this momentum with Reigns and Cena winning.

i loved dx and the nwo coming out. i really didn't care who was going to win it. i loved triple h's terminator entrance

Latest posts