What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Xbox Vs PC version. A quick comparision - PC Version rocks!

varion

Juniors
Guys who have XBOX and PC, i would HIGHLY recommend getting PC version.

I have bought both versions of the game and after getting the XBOX version i was a little dissapointed as i was expecting a little more.

Then i got the PC version and it blew me away for the below reasons:

Things i've noticed on XBOX...

a) Graphics due to being on a TV are "blurry" and players not clearly defined. Players are very blocky.

b) Text is hard to read

c) Maybe due to resolution, XBOX version seems like the players are further away.

I would rate the XBOX version a 6.5 in terms of graphics. The controls are also way poorer than PS2 due to the XBOX only having 2 trigger buttons rather than 4 on PS2 so fending and sprinting is hard to do at the same time. Particularly if you have a slow team and have enough trouble making breaks as it is.

*** PC version ***

Graphics are AMAZING at 1600 x 1200? or 1280 x 980. Its like watching real footage and the higher RES really takes out the blockiness of the Graphics. At 1600 RES graphics are a 8.5 easily.

Text is EASY to read as you would expect.

You can buy a PS2 like gamepad for brilliant controlls! (see my other post on gamepad bug though).

For some reason i found sound better on PC than XBOX too.

Maybe because with a monitor you sit closer to the screen but i never felt that i was "away" from the action. Everything felt so much closer so didnt feel camera was too far.

I LOVE my XBOX but in this instance PC smokes the XBOX version. Guys who have a PC i highly recommend buying the PC one as well as XBOX. Only problem is you need to make sure you have a decent 3d card but these days you can pick up a cheap Radeon or Geforce for nix now.

Summary:

PC version 9/10

Xbox version 7.5/10

umosay

Juniors
totally agree varion, i hired the xbox version first then got my pc version... you can actually see the numbers too

Erhan

Juniors
I've got the Thrustmaster for PC and I can't use it at all, how does this trigger thing work coz it would be great to be able to fend and sprint at the same time using a gamepad.

varion

Juniors
Hey Erhan,

I'm assuming you have a Thrustmaster gamepad??

Windows XP detects mine as a HID (human intelligent device) and works straight off the bat after calibration via the game controller option in Windows control panel. After that its simply going and customising your gamepad how you like it.

XP sees my pad as a 2 AXIS , 8 button gamepad.

rabs

Staff member
I have the PC and the first thing I "liked" about the game was the sound effect of the players studs on the concrete as they walk onto the field. My friend brought his PS2 over for some play and that sound effect is not there. I definitely prefer my PC version to his PS2 setup.

rabs

Staff member
Erhan said:
I've got the Thrustmaster for PC and I can't use it at all, how does this trigger thing work coz it would be great to be able to fend and sprint at the same time using a gamepad.

setup the controls in the settings screen for the game controller, I have the thrustmaster and it works a treat, set fend and sidestep to the lower buttons on the front

westhull

Juniors
Does anybody use the microsoft sidewinder with this game on the pc... if so can you tell me what button configuration you have set up for each action

A=
B=
C =
X=
Y=
Z=
Left Trigger=
Right Trigger=

cheers

Simo

First Grade
rabbitboy said:
I have the PC and the first thing I "liked" about the game was the sound effect of the players studs on the concrete as they walk onto the field. My friend brought his PS2 over for some play and that sound effect is not there. I definitely prefer my PC version to his PS2 setup.

This is definately on the X-Box version!

I remember we first thought there were fire crackers at the game or something until we went crap its there studs on the concrete.

Sounds great that part through DD 5.1!

Erhan

Juniors
rabbitboy said:
Erhan said:

setup the controls in the settings screen for the game controller, I have the thrustmaster and it works a treat, set fend and sidestep to the lower buttons on the front

Okay, i'm a little confused. So is there a way to set the fend & sprint/step command on the one button ? Because I've tried it and it won't allow it.

Razor

Coach
Does anybody use the microsoft sidewinder with this game on the pc... if so can you tell me what button configuration you have set up for each action

I do

The default settings

A= Sprint
B= Sidestep/Change Player/Score Try/Dummy(with pass button)
C= Punt/Tackle
X= Bomb/Chip
Y= Sidestep
Z= Fend
Left Trigger= Pass left
Right Trigger= Pass Right/Agressive Tackle(when pressed with C)

I've swapped the -

Bomb/Chip key to Z
Sidestep to X
Fend to Y

lionmaul

Juniors
varion said:
Guys who have XBOX and PC, i would HIGHLY recommend getting PC version.

I have bought both versions of the game and after getting the XBOX version i was a little dissapointed as i was expecting a little more.

Then i got the PC version and it blew me away for the below reasons:

Things i've noticed on XBOX...

a) Graphics due to being on a TV are "blurry" and players not clearly defined. Players are very blocky.

b) Text is hard to read

c) Maybe due to resolution, XBOX version seems like the players are further away.

I would rate the XBOX version a 6.5 in terms of graphics. The controls are also way poorer than PS2 due to the XBOX only having 2 trigger buttons rather than 4 on PS2 so fending and sprinting is hard to do at the same time. Particularly if you have a slow team and have enough trouble making breaks as it is.

*** PC version ***

Graphics are AMAZING at 1600 x 1200? or 1280 x 980. Its like watching real footage and the higher RES really takes out the blockiness of the Graphics. At 1600 RES graphics are a 8.5 easily.

Text is EASY to read as you would expect.

You can buy a PS2 like gamepad for brilliant controlls! (see my other post on gamepad bug though).

For some reason i found sound better on PC than XBOX too.

Maybe because with a monitor you sit closer to the screen but i never felt that i was "away" from the action. Everything felt so much closer so didnt feel camera was too far.

I LOVE my XBOX but in this instance PC smokes the XBOX version. Guys who have a PC i highly recommend buying the PC one as well as XBOX. Only problem is you need to make sure you have a decent 3d card but these days you can pick up a cheap Radeon or Geforce for nix now.

Summary:

PC version 9/10

Xbox version 7.5/10

I have to agree 100% The pc version is awesome and thats that I have a fairly slow computer( p3 500mhz )but I do have a geforce 4 64mb graphics card. I play at full graphics highest resolution, the only thing I lowered is the crowd detail to medium. I have a controller that looks exactly like a ps2 contoller and it work excellent. Although I found the digital pad supplies tighter control then the analog. THIS GAME IS GETTING BETTER EACH GAME!!!!!!!!!!! In the last game the computer sneeked in 2 grubber kicks to score to tries on the last tackle and one the game, It was such a good supriseing play that caught me completely of gaurd.
Cheers and Salu

justakid

Juniors
heh i think i must be the only one to like the xbox ver better.

uncle bought pc ver i bought xbox ver.

with the pc ver (honestlly its been that long i cant remem what gfx was like) for some reason i found it very hard to play - controls didnt seem right etc.

with xbox ver everything is so much easier and the game seems to just play better.

I had a thrustmaster dual analogue for the pc and the xbox ver is better in terms of control for me (other than the fend side step button).

hehe i was coming on this board just to ask if i was the only one who reckons xbox ver is better.. i guess i am heheeh.

P.J.

Juniors
pepstar87 said:
ps2 controller is best out of the 3 ay
Yep, that's why I bought a PS2/USB adapter from the Gamesmen yesterday.

30 bucks and plenty in stock. Now I'm getting really good at this game.

Alot of the problems i've had with tackling and switching players is diminishing.

I found too, when the play the ball occurs, and your defending, your pushing the movement button to the left, then hitting change player, and it changes to the one further away. That's because he's on the left. If you push right and click it, you get the first defender off the ruck, and SMASH em.

Great stuff, learning new stuff every day.

Latest posts