What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yelling at Clouds: Fox NRL is Overrated

Id like to see more docos on the game, surely there’s enough back catalogue material to get loads of quality docos out...

just not ones on the usual suspects that are interviewed all the time like Smith etc. or the 2015 gf. Nothing against them but we’ve had overload of this for enough seasons.

30 for 30 style stuff...

Problem is with the state of the economy they won't shell out the $ to make them.

Problem is with the state of the economy they won't shell out the $ to make them.

I’d think they could sack off a show or two to compensate for it.. League Wrap for sure.

Then turf out a couple of News Ltd Journos...namely Hooper n Crawley..

Replace their dross with a doco team... the footage is all there, they just need some good folk to put a story together, do a few interviews.. and there you go.

So who could be the people to do it???

The Great Dane

First Grade
I am really not a fan of Voss's commentary either, he is self indulgent and annoying to listen to.
Yeah he's become extremely hyperbolic in the last couple seasons. He overhypes everything to the point that it leaves you there feeling like you've watched one of those tacky infomercials for 80 minutes.

Someone needs to tell him that overhyping something is just about the worst thing you can do to it, and that he doesn't need to pretend that every try, every player, every game, is something that it is not to sell the game anyway.

Last edited:

Mr Saab

Referee
I can’t wait for Fox to say GOOOODBYYYYYYYYYE!!!! To f**king Dan Ginnane he gives me a f**king headache every time he does a game.

I am not sure whom Dan Ginnane engaged when he brain stormed this as his catchphrase for a player running away to score, but he should re brain storm. It is utterly painful.

saint.nick

Coach
Yeah he's become extremely hyperbolic in the last couple seasons. He overhypes everything to the point that it leaves you there feeling like you've watched one of those tacky infomercials for 80 minutes.

Someone needs to tell him that overhyping something is just about the worst thing you can do to it, and that he doesn't need to pretend that every try, every player, every game, is something that it is not to sell the game anyway.
It also describes Nable's monologues down to a tee.

"Yeahh, what about this game, *makes blowing sound through teeth* well, what a battle this was (it was cowboys vs warriors in front of 5000 fans)"

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Personally I love that I get betting rammed down my throat every time I turn on a fox nrl show. But hey gamble responsibly and don’t forget those who rely on you when your pissing away your wages!
While I agree re sports betting, this is hardly a unique problem to Fox

This Year?

Immortal
The way Paul Kent raises his voice and talks over the top of the other panelists on NRL360 like a drunk trying to start a fight really annoys me.
I don't know they put up with his rudeness and arrogance.

During the pre game, half time or post game shows, I've noticed they sometimes repeat each other, but use slightly different words. It's like they can't think of anything to add, so they copy the first person.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Lara could barely get a word it while Kent and Hooper were ranting at each other. It would be better if the league life girls just took over from the News Crap journos. Might be able to have an intelligent discussion about some of the issues in the game.

emesssea

Juniors

Early this year he compared Roosters v Rabbitohs to Celtic-Rangers. I can't take anyone seriously who tries to compare any rivalry in the NRL to one of the biggest rivalries in all of sports thats been marred by sectarian violence and the matches are heavily policed and quick off midday to lessen the chances of violence.

emesssea

Juniors
During the pre game, half time or post game shows, I've noticed they sometimes repeat each other, but use slightly different words. It's like they can't think of anything to add, so they copy the first person.

I wonder, with any sports studio show, how much freedom the analyst actually have in saying what they want vs planned 'scripts' discussed in production meetings.

I remember about 10 years ago when there was a log jam of national tidal contenders in college football, ESPN had about 5 analyst make their case for a team they choose. Kirk Herbstreit picked Georgia, and when one of the other analyst tried to call out the flaws in his argument he responded by saying he's only defending Georgia because that's who the producers assigned him, and the host responded smartly, 'Thanks for playing along Kirk...'

The Great Dane

First Grade
Early this year he compared Roosters v Rabbitohs to Celtic-Rangers. I can't take anyone seriously who tries to compare any rivalry in the NRL to one of the biggest rivalries in all of sports thats been marred by sectarian violence and the matches are heavily policed and quick off midday to lessen the chances of violence.
Yeah there's no such thing as rivalries and tribalism in Australian sport, not real ones anyway, and anybody that's tried to build a culture of it in Australian sport has been snuffed out by the government and sport authorities as quickly as possible.

What's kinda funny though is that the same people who tend to go on and on about the importance of "rivalries" and "tribalism" in Australian sport tend to be the first ones to panic and condemn it when actual serious tribalism and rivalries starts to build in a sport.

KennySterling

Juniors

I couldn't agree more and it's magnified having to listen to him 2/3 or even 4 times a weekend. I get that sinking 'not him again' feeling.

There's being enthusiastic and there's having a degree of objectivity, a quality all the great commentators possess and which he singularly lacks.

Going off like a rocket as the Roosters are predictably slaughtering the Knights, I wonder how on earth he'll manage to contain himself during the finals.

Latest posts