What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You are running Parramatta. What would you do?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Right you whiny f**ken bitches. Welcome the The Apprentice: Parramatta Edition.

We all know Parramatta is a f**ken disgrace on and off the field. How about some f**ken solutions???

You now run the club. What would you do to make Parramatta the most successful club and brand in the NRL?

Think big and think beyond what you see on the field.

Good luck.

Noise

Coach
1st thing I would do is get rid of the current leadership at the club. Anyone that has had a significant leadership role gets sacked ASAP. (pay them out if we have to) Goodbye to:

Max (he is still on the board but shouldn’t be)
Bernie
BA (and all the coaching staff)
AFL guy

Mannah no longer captain and not a guarantee in our top 17

Gutho no longer captain but def first centre picked.

Duffman can stay for now as he only has been in the job for 2 seconds.

I guess if I am going by Gary’s original post I am the new Bernie. Major upgrade there!!

Get Wayne Bennett in as coach and he will select his own coaching staff and head of performance (afl guys position)

Personally I’d make Hayne captain (and re-sign him asap) but let Wayne make that decision.

New head of football - Matt Cameron maybe? Though there is probably a better option. I haven’t gone through the resumes yet. Big weekend.

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Staff member
Jokes aside, the premise of the question in the OP contains the same difficulties as this discussion in every other thread, that being what we just don't, and can't, know about the internal goings on at the club.

The obvious answer is to look at the structures, practices and methods employed at other more successful clubs, and endeavour to nut out either why we haven't adopted them, or if we have, why they are not working.

The less obvious answer is to do what ever it takes to f**k off the administrators whilst ensuring the club does not and cannot regress to the previous factional infighting that has plagued us for what seems like forever.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
1st thing I would do is get rid of the current leadership at the club. Anyone that has had a significant leadership role gets sacked ASAP. (pay them out if we have to) Goodbye to:

Max (he is still on the board but shouldn’t be)
Bernie
BA (and all the coaching staff)
AFL guy

Mannah no longer captain and not a guarantee in our top 17

Gutho no longer captain but def first centre picked.

Duffman can stay for now as he only has been in the job for 2 seconds.

I guess if I am going by Gary’s original post I am the new Bernie. Major upgrade there!!

Get Wayne Bennett in as coach and he will select his own coaching staff and head of performance (afl guys position)

Personal I’d make Hayne captain (and re-sign him asap) but let Wayne make that decision.

New head of football - Matt Cameron maybe? Though there is probably a better option. I haven’t gone through the resumes yet. Big weekend.
Some good suggestions there. Nice one.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Jokes aside, the premise of the question in the OP contains the same difficulties as this discussion in every other thread, that being what we just don't, and can't, know about the internal goings on at the club.
That’s never stopped anyone from laying into people at the club for being ‘incompetent’ so I don’t see why it should be a problem now.

Start with a blank canvas if that is easier. Pretend that the current muppets aren’t even there.

Bandwagon

Staff member
That’s never stopped anyone from laying into people at the club for being ‘incompetent’ so I don’t see why it should be a problem now.

Start with a blank canvas if that is easier. Pretend that the current muppets aren’t even there.

I don't think you can provide a reasonable answer if you are going to ignore the current muppets, the issue is how does one deal with the existing problems.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I don't think you can provide a reasonable answer if you are going to ignore the current muppets, the issue is how does one deal with the existing problems.
True. Was just giving people an out if, as you said they find it too difficult to get their heads around what’s currently going on.

In any case, you can probably just do what Noise did and say ‘sack them’ and move on.

Just after ideas. Not too concerned with throwing in constraints (aka ‘excuses’) at this point as it often stifles the discussion.

strider

Post Whore
Bring back Fitzy

Not entirely a joke - we have been a rabble since the fan led uprising ... at least we had some stability and success back in the day

Avenger

Immortal
Sack Bernie Gurr
Bring in a board with some football knowledge and not just bankers and accountants
Sack the whole coaching staff

Bring in Brian Smith or Wayne Bennett as head of football.
Give them total autonomy in who to recruit as coach, whether it be themselves or whomever they deem is the best fit.

strider

Post Whore
I agree bring in Smithy as Head of Football ... let him decide if BA gets another year

eel01s

Bench
I don't care about the Board, as long as they understand that the LC is there to fund and support the footy club.

The CEO needs to be a professional who can represent the Eels and attract sponsors.

We need an experienced HOF. A proven winner. He then appoints proven candidates for coach, assistants etc.

The coach identifies a core of proven, experienced winners and leaders. Have to have won premierships. We need mentally tough players.

Then you build the side with a mix of juniors and talented squad players.

84 Baby

Referee
A sort of agree with Smith as HOF being the most reasonable, current real world application without knowing all the facts. My only misgiving is:
BA - "The reality is the players got sick of hearing the same person over and over"
Smithy - "Hold my beer"

emjaycee

Coach
As the Chairman of the Board I would have a really simple 10 point plan.

1. Sack the CEO
2. Hire a new CEO
3. Hire a Head of Football
4. Demand a 3 year strategic plan from the HoF covering:
  • required culture for playing squad
  • on-field performance targets for each year
  • recruitment and retention strategy that includes 30% annual player refresh in year 1, dropping to 15 % (4-5 players) per year after that
  • junior pathways plan to NRL with targeted numbers per year no less than 2 debutants to NRL
  • budget for NRL issued fines and legal cost for judiciary challenges
5. Demand a 3 year on-field results strategy from Head Coa3p covering:
  • targeted average points for
  • targeted average points against
  • targeted number of away wins
  • total number of wins per season (cannot determine place on ladder due to other teams results)
  • coa3ping staff recruitment plan, including trainers, assistants, skills coach, etc.
6. Sack the Head of Commercial Sales
7. Hire a Head of Commercial Sales
8. KPI the Head of Commercial Sales on a3pieving major sponsorship ($1.5M+) from a top 100 Australian company within 2 seasons
9. Sack Corey Norman
10. Sack Mitchell Moses

Last edited:

Latest posts