What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You Can Say Millionaire But I'm Just Chris Sandow To Me

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
769424-chris-sandow.jpg

Sandow may be $200K overvalued: Fairfax

Parramatta might be overvaluing South Sydney halfback Chris Sandow by up to $200,000 per season, according to former international Russell Fairfax. How much would you pay for the Rabbitohs star?

Rabbits stew as Sandow picks Parramatta

South Sydney's Russell Crowe and Shane Richardson embarrass themselves with their puzzling handling of Chris Sandow's decision to join Parramatta. What did you make of Crowe and Richardson's behaviour?

734885-russell-crowe.jpg

South Sydney confirm halfback Chris Sandow
Will leave the Rabbitohs and sign with Parramatta

AAP
May 04, 2011 1:21PM

South Sydney confirmed Chris Sandow will leave the NRL club at the end of the season, before club owner Russell Crowe posted on his Twitter that the halfback would sign a lucrative contract with Parramatta.

Star South Sydney halfback Chris Sandow insists his big money move to Parramatta from next NRL season isn't all about the cash, but says he needed to consider his young family's future.

The Rabbitohs took Sandow's decision badly, with the club beating the Eels to announce it by issuing a media statement on Wednesday expressing disappointment and making it clear they considered money the prime motivator.

Souths chief executive Shane Richardson said in the statement: "Unfortunately for us he has met his Alan Bond."

It was a reference to the famous quote attributed to the late Kerry Packer after he sold Channel Nine to Bond for $1 billion in 1987 then bought it back from him in 1990 for $700 million as Bond's business empire crumbled.

"You only get one Alan Bond in your lifetime, and I've had mine," Packer was quoted as saying at the time.

Souths owner Russell Crowe tweeted on Wednesday that Sandow was going to the Eels for an astronomical $550,000 a season - a figure Parramatta hasn't confirmed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is Chris Sandow worth $550,000 per season? Have your say at the bottom of the page.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When asked about the figure in Crowe's tweet, 22-year-old Sandow was coy.

"I don't have twitter mate, it's too much technology for me, so I don't know what he's saying on there," he said.

Sandow asked reporters to explain the Bond reference before responding: "It's all good. My manager spoke to me about it, so it's all good."

Rabbitohs officials confirmed the Eels' offer was far too much for the club to match.

The dynamic No.7, who played his best game of the season last week in the Rabbitohs' thrashing of Cronulla, said there was more to his decision than just money, but he had to think of his young family.

"No it's not about the cash. I just want a new journey, new start for my life and hopefully I play good footy there, but I'm still a South Sydney Rabbitoh until the end of 2011," said Sandow after training at Redfern Oval on Wednesday.

"I've been at Souths so long now and I appreciate Souths for giving me the opportunity to play NRL.

"Heaps of people have been talking to me about not leaving Souths but I have to do what's best for me and my family and I have three little kids now so I have to look after them before me. In saying that I've still got to love myself before others."

Despite the backhanded statement from Richardson, Sandow said he had the full support of his team-mates when he informed them on Wednesday morning of his decision.

Sandow said he hadn't fallen out with Crowe over the move.

"He had a few words to me, he basically wanted me to stay but he said what's best for me.

"He's going to be upset but he's there on the side just to talk to me, giving me a hand. He said if I go ahead and go to Parramatta he'll still be my mate, but it's my choice."

Link: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...f-the-nrl-season/story-fn2mcuj6-1226049574427

Last edited:

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
South Sydney owner Russell Crowe
And CEO Shane Richardson's puzzling
Reaction after Chris Sandow picks Parramatta

By Martin Smith
Fox SPORTS
May 04, 2011 12:34PM

On what was supposed to be a day of celebration for imminent Parramatta signing Chris Sandow, officials from his current club, South Sydney, embarrassed themselves with their puzzling handling of the matter.

South Sydney confirmed on Wednesday that halfback Sandow had agreed terms with the Eels and would join Stephen Kearney's side next season.

But the bizarre behaviour of chief executive Shane Richardson and the club's owner, Russell Crowe, has taken the gloss off the deal.

"Unfortunately for us he (Sandow) has met his Alan Bond," Richardson said in a club statement.

The back-handed comment from Richardson, no doubt in reference to the huge salary Sandow will receive at the Eels, has left the 22-year-old in no doubt what the club thinks of his decision to leave.

Just minutes after the club's press release, Crowe embarrassed the Rabbitohs even further by revealing Sandow's new salary to his 200,000 followers on Twitter.

Has the South Sydney club embarrased itself in the handling of Chris Sandow's imminent defection to Parramatta? Have your say at the bottom of the page.

"Chris Sandow to Parramatta at $550k a year," Crowe wrote on Twitter.
The debate about whether Sandow is worth that much money has covered up the almost unprecedented action of Crowe to publically reveal the salary of a NRL player.

I say almost for a reason, as it was only five months ago that Crowe blurted out Greg Inglis's salary to a worldwide television audience on the Jay Leno Show.

Despite Crowe's tweet, Sandow told reporters on Wednesday that he still considered Crowe a "mate".

While the club's disappointment at losing a key player is more than reasonable, its childish reaction has cast a shadow over the deal.

Compare the response of Richardson and Crowe to Canterbury-Bankstown officials' handling of Jamal Idris's decision to leave the club for Gold Coast Titans.

The 20-year-old centre signed with the Titans in April for a deal believed to be worth more than $2 million, although the actual figure was never revealed to the public.

If the Bulldogs were upset by Idris's decision to leave the kennel, they didn't show it.

On the day of the announcement, CEO Todd Greenberg joined Idris for a press conference and went out of his way to praise the young centre.
"Loyalty has got nothing to do with this," Greenberg said.

"To me, rugby league loyalty is about within the terms of your contract and Jamal has been extremely loyal to this club over four years.

"He's given us nothing but wonderful service ... he needs to maximise his earning capacity."

Not only have Richardson and Crowe created an uncomfortable situation for Sandow and the Eels, they have also jeopardised the club's chances this season.

There are 18 rounds to go in the 2011 season, and Sandow, while he won't be at Redfern in 2012, will be vital to any hopes the club has of reaching the finals this year.

The smart money says the uncomfortable atmosphere Richardson and Crowe have created will result in more losses for a side that needs every win they can get.

At Belmore, the Bulldogs and Idris will face no such problem.

Link: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...tta-over-bunnies/story-e6frf3ou-1226049728704

734885-russell-crowe.jpg

Dragon

Coach
Compare Greenbergs comments to Richos and you cant help like the guy (even though he's a Dog)

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Parramatta may be overvaluing South Sydney's
Chris Sandow by up to $200,000 per season:
Russell Fairfax

By Christopher Boyd
FOX SPORTS
May 04, 2011 12:50PM

Parramatta might be overvaluing South Sydney halfback Chris Sandow by up to $200,000 per season, according to former international Russell Fairfax.

A disgruntled South Sydney club announced on Wednesday that Sandow would depart them at season's end, with both chief executive Shane Richardson and club owner Russell Crowe giving public hints that money was the bottom line in the youngster's decision.

Richardson said Sandow said had "met his Alan Bond", a reference to the Aussie businessman's purchase of the Nine Network in 1987, while Crowe, somewhat unprofessionally, revealed the Parramatta offer on his Twitter feed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exclusive: Russell Crowe hit heights of unprofessionalism in Twitter rant.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fox Sports commentator Fairfax said Crowe’s Twitter declaration of $550,000 per season, if true, was far above what the 2008 Dally M Rookie of the Year should receive given few elite players reach such a high earning bracket.

"I don’t think Chris Sandow is worth if that's what he is getting," said Fox Sports commentator Fairfax, who confirmed the halfback had "agreed in terms" to a four-year deal with the Eels.

"There's not many players worth $550,000 a season; it doesn't matter if you are Andrew Johns, Darren Lockyer or Benji Marshall - they are all struggling to get that.

"This has been Sandow's best season so far and he is getting better each game, but 550, gee I think that's a bit rich just right now.

"Right now, probably 350 to 400 at a maximum compared to all the other players on NRL contracts."

"In the future he may prove me wrong."

While Souths appeared to publicly jibe Sandow over his decision to chase the larger offer, Fairfax said Parramatta had every right to chase Sandow mid-season and had pulled off a "good buy".

"I don't think it's inappropriate to have a shot at him," he said.

Do you think Chris Sandow is overvalued at $550,000?
Post your thoughts at the bottom of the page.

"I am disappointed that there's no loyalty in the game anymore, (but) I understand that Chris Sandow has got to look after himself, and good luck to the young kid.

Fairfax feared that Sandow's decision could be the final bullet in Souths' 2011 season. The news comes just a day after England superstar Sam Burgess was ruled out for the season, adding to an extensive injury list that includes club captain Roy Asotasi.

"These things can break a club, South Sydney has been in the middle of turmoil as it is," he said.

"They've lost senior players, they don't have a skipper, they have one front rower (Ben Ross) and he's only eight games back from having a broken neck.

"This is just adding to the turmoil at South Sydney, if their season doesn't fall apart now I'll give up."

With Souths applying obvious pressure to Sandow in the media, Fairfax feared the short-term consequences for Sandow could be a mid-season demotion from the NRL.

"(Souths) having a shot at him, it wouldn't surprise me to see him demoted if South Sydney's season is out the back door, looking for another halfback very early in the piece," he said.

"If South Sydney lose a couple more games they’ll be looking for a new halfback before the season is over."

Link: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...n-russel-fairfax/story-fn2mcuj6-1226049741401

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Chris Sandow signs with Parramatta
After meeting his 'Alan Bond'

Adrian Proszenko
SMH
May 4, 2011 - 12:23PM

art_chris_sandow-420x0.jpg

Chris Sandow has met his 'Alan Bond'. Photo: Getty Images

Parramatta have signed South Sydney halfback Chris Sandow on a four-year deal.

The Eels have finally snared a high-profile halfback after tabling a massive offer to the Rabbitohs No.7.

Sandow advised the Rabbitohs he was leaving this morning and the Eels are expected to announce the coup soon.

The star halfback insists his big money move to Parramatta from next season isn’t all about the cash, but says he needed to consider his young family’s future.

He is the first major signing under new Parramatta coach Stephen Kearney for 2012.

The Rabbitohs took Sandow’s decision badly, with the club beating the Eels to announce it by issuing a media statement on Wednesday expressing disappointment and making it clear they considered money the prime motivator.

Souths chief executive Shane Richardson said in the statement: ‘‘Unfortunately for us he has met his Alan Bond.’’

It was a reference to the famous quote attributed to the late Kerry Packer after he sold Channel Nine to Bond for $1 billion in 1987 then bought it back from him in 1990 for $700 million as Bond’s business empire crumbled.

‘‘You only get one Alan Bond in your lifetime, and I’ve had mine,’’ Packer was quoted as saying at the time.

Souths owner Russell Crowe tweeted today that Sandow was going to the Eels for an astronomical $550,000 a season - a figure Parramatta hasn’t confirmed.

When asked about the figure in Crowe’s tweet, 22-year-old Sandow was coy.

‘‘I don’t have twitter mate, it’s too much technology for me, so I don’t know what he’s saying on there,’’ he said.

Sandow asked reporters to explain the Bond reference before responding: ‘‘It’s all good. My manager spoke to me about it, so it’s all good.’’

Rabbitohs officials confirmed the Eels’ offer was far too much for the club to match.

The dynamic No.7, who played his best game of the season last week in the Rabbitohs’ thrashing of Cronulla, said there was more to his decision than just money, but he had to think of his young family.

‘‘No it’s not about the cash. I just want a new journey, new start for my life and hopefully I play good footy there, but I’m still a South Sydney Rabbitoh until the end of 2011,’’ said Sandow after training at Redfern Oval today.

‘‘I’ve been at Souths so long now and I appreciate Souths for giving me the opportunity to play NRL.

‘‘Heaps of people have been talking to me about not leaving Souths but I have to do what’s best for me and my family and I have three little kids now so I have to look after them before me. In saying that I’ve still got to love myself before others.’’

Despite the backhanded statement from Richardson, Sandow said he had the full support of his teammates when he informed them this morning of his decision.
Sandow said he hadn’t fallen out with Crowe over the move.

‘‘He had a few words to me, he basically wanted me to stay but he said what’s best for me.

‘‘He’s going to be upset but he’s there on the side just to talk to me, giving me a hand. He said if I go ahead and go to Parramatta he’ll still be my mate, but it’s my choice.’’

- with Brad Walter and AAP

Link: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ter-meeting-his-alan-bond-20110504-1e78w.html

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Sandow says Eels move not all about money

Ben Horne
May 4, 2011 - 12:19PM
AAP

Star South Sydney halfback Chris Sandow insists his big money move to Parramatta from next NRL season isn't all about the cash, but says he needed to consider his young family's future.

The Rabbitohs took Sandow's decision badly, with the club beating the Eels to announce it by issuing a media statement on Wednesday expressing disappointment and making it clear they considered money the prime motivator.

Souths chief executive Shane Richardson said in the statement: "Unfortunately for us he has met his Alan Bond."

It was a reference to the famous quote attributed to the late Kerry Packer after he sold Channel Nine to Bond for $1 billion in 1987 then bought it back from him in 1990 for $700 million as Bond's business empire crumbled.

"You only get one Alan Bond in your lifetime, and I've had mine," Packer was quoted as saying at the time.

Souths owner Russell Crowe tweeted on Wednesday that Sandow was going to the Eels for an astronomical $550,000 a season - a figure Parramatta hasn't confirmed.

"I don't have twitter mate, it's too much technology for me, so I don't know what he's saying on there," he said.

Sandow asked reporters to explain the Bond reference before responding: "It's all good. My manager spoke to me about it, so it's all good."
Rabbitohs officials confirmed the Eels' offer was far too much for the club to match.

The dynamic No.7, who played his best game of the season last week in the Rabbitohs' thrashing of Cronulla, said there was more to his decision than just money, but he had to think of his young family.

"No it's not about the cash. I just want a new journey, new start for my life and hopefully I play good footy there, but I'm still a South Sydney Rabbitoh until the end of 2011," said Sandow after training at Redfern Oval on Wednesday.

"I've been at Souths so long now and I appreciate Souths for giving me the opportunity to play NRL.

"Heaps of people have been talking to me about not leaving Souths but I have to do what's best for me and my family and I have three little kids now so I have to look after them before me. In saying that I've still got to love myself before others."

Despite the backhanded statement from Richardson, Sandow said he had the full support of his team-mates when he informed them on Wednesday morning of his decision.

""He had a few words to me, he basically wanted me to stay but he said what's best for me.

"He's going to be upset but he's there on the side just to talk to me, giving me a hand. He said if I go ahead and go to Parramatta he'll still be my mate, but it's my choice."

© 2011 AAP

Link: http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...-move-not-all-about-money-20110504-1e7a4.html

Glenn

First Grade
I must admit I have been a critic of Sandow with his niggling and cheap shots in games, but the way he has handled himself today has shown a great deal of maturity. Something that Messers Crowe and Richardson are lacking.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Rabbitohs half Chris Sandow signs
Four-year $1.6 million deal
With Parramatta Eels

776187-sandow-rabbitohs.jpg

Eel deal: South's rugby league player Chris Sandow answers questions
from the press about his decision to switch to Parramatta next season.
Picture: Bob Barker Source: The Daily Telegraph

PARRAMATTA have won the war for Chris Sandow,
signing the Rabbitohs playmaker to a four-year deal late last night.

Sandow appeared certain to join the Eels until late last week when Rabbitohs co-owner Russell Crowe looked to have convinced him to stay.

But early today, the Rabbitohs announced that Sandow would be leaving the club at season's end, and where else but on Twitter.

Crowe beat his own team's PR machine to the punch, tweeting "Chris Sandow to Parramatta at $550k a year''.

The Rabbitohs had called on Sandow's teammates, club greats and fans to convince him to stay at Redfern.

But it's believed people close to the cheeky half, including family members, persuaded him to make the change and sign the rich deal.

And now the furious response from Crowe and Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson throws into doubt the halfback's future at the club for the rest of the year.

"Unfortunately Chris has met his Alan Bond," Richardson said in a prepared statement.

“We’re very disappointed to learn of Chris’ decision but we wish him the best for the future.''

Parramatta offered Sandow $1.6 million for the next four years and the Rabbitohs couldn't compete after securing his halves partner John Sutton and winger Nathan Merritt recently.

Crowe's decision to reveal to the world that Sandow's Eels deal is worth $550,000 a year is quite remarkable, and surely won't be well received by the halfback and his management.

"I don't have Twitter mate, it's too much technology for me, so I don't know what he's saying on there," he said.

A Twitter storm followed after Crowe's announcement, with Souths fans lambasting the playmaker while fans from other clubs attacked the club for being petulant.

``Yet another disgraceful effort from Souths. Rusty & Richo ripping into Sandow. Why would you stay? Poor form,'' wrote one Twitter user.

Rabbitohs fans complained about the death of loyalty and perceived flaws in the NRL's salary cap system.

Despite the backhanded statement from Richardson, Sandow said he had the full support of his team-mates when he informed them earlier today of his decision.

""He had a few words to me, he basically wanted me to stay but he said what's best for me.

775833-sandow-rabbitohs.jpg

Eel deal: South's rugby league player Chris Sandow
reveals his new contract with Parramatta at Redfern Oval.
Picture: Bob Barker Source:
The Daily Telegraph

Link: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-parramatta-eels/story-e6frexnr-1226049577163

Last edited:

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Sandow hits Parramatta pay dirt

Too good to refuse... Parramatta's big-money offer
has lured Chris Sandow away from the Rabbitohs.
(Getty Images: Mark Kolbe)

South Sydney has confirmed half-back Chris Sandow has quit the club and will join Parramatta at the end of the season.

The Rabbitohs have confirmed the departure of their number seven, with club owner Russell Crowe announcing on Twitter that Sandow had been offered a mammoth $550,000 a season by the Eels.

"We're very disappointed to learn of Chris' decision but we wish him the best for the future," Rabbitohs chief executive officer Shane Richardson said in a statement.

"Unfortunately for us he has met his Alan Bond."

More to follow. http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...medium=twitter

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Sandow leaves on good terms
Adam Lucius
4/5/2011 1:01 PM
Sportal

Eels-bound Souths half-back Chris Sandow insists he will depart Redfern on good terms with the club and its owner Russell Crowe despite the Rabbitohs' anger over his move.

The Bunnies thought they had done enough to secure Sandow's services but were blown out of the water at the 11th hour by Parramatta's offer, believed to be in the vicinity of $500,000 per season over three years.

Souths CEO Shane Richardson sent out a testy media release declaring Sandow had 'met his Alan Bond', referring to Kerry Packer's famous line after he sold Channel 9 to Bond for $1bn and then later bought it back at a much reduced price.

Crowe also appeared upset by Sandow's decision, tweeting: "Chris Sandow to Parramatta at $550k a year''.

But Sandow is unconcerned about the furore surrounding the switch of clubs, saying he feels no guilt.

"He had a few words to me. He basically wanted me to stay but he said (do) what's best for me," Sandow said of Crowe's involvement in contract talks.

"He said if I go ahead and go to Parramatta he'll still be my mate, but it's my choice."

"He's going to be upset but he's there on the side just to talk to me, giving me a hand."

Sandow, who was brought up on an Aboriginal mission in the small Queensland town of Cherbourg, refused to confirm reports Parramatta's offer is worth between $1.5m-2m.

But the 22-year-old insists the move is about a change of scenery more than the money.

"It's not about the cash. I just want a new journey, new start for my life and hopefully I play good footy there," Sandow said.

"Heaps of people have been talking to me about not leaving Souths but I have to do what's best for me and my family and I have three little kids now so I have to look after them before me."

"In saying that, I've still got to love myself before others."

Link: http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=382107&page=11

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Sandow hops to the Eels
Local News
4 May 11 @ 10:47am

by Brad Boxall

880a28c0c2818038b895e4899e11683b_resized.jpg

PARRAMATTA have signed Souths halfback Chris Sandow to a four-year deal.

Sandow appeared certain to join the Eels until late last week when Rabbitohs co-owner Russell Crowe looked to have convinced him to stay.

But early today, the Rabbitohs announced that Sandow would be leaving the club at the end of the season.

The Rabbitohs had called on Sandow’s teammates, club greats and fans to convince him to stay at Redfern.

But it’s believed people close to the cheeky half, including family members, persuaded him to make the change and sign a deal worth $1.6 million for the next four years.

“Unfortunately Chris has met his Alan Bond,” Souths chief executive Shane Richardson said.

“We are very disappointed to learn of Chris’s decision but we wish him the best for the future.”

Link: http://parramatta-advertiser.whereil...s-to-the-eels/