What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You go girls

justadragon

Bench
Disgraceful finish to the season, if the Dragons dont recruit big mobile forwards like every other club then they can look forward to being at the bottom of the table for here on, may as well not have a side in the NRLW, the Panthers dont. Were getting pushed off tackles at will.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Disgraceful finish to the season, if the Dragons dont recruit big mobile forwards like every other club then they can look forward to being at the bottom of the table for here on, may as well not have a side in the NRLW, the Panthers dont. Were getting pushed off tackles at will.

With the expansion next year, it's going to be an uphill battle.

Hopefully, there is some serious effort put into the junior girls or pouching RU. Might be a waiting game for the new coach.

With the expansion next year, it's going to be an uphill battle.

Hopefully, there is some serious effort put into the junior girls or pouching RU. Might be a waiting game for the new coach.
Hopefully you’re right about the junior girls, Seat 1A. I mentioned last year that a mate of mine had two daughters playing in the Illawarra junior system. The gripe was that Soward wouldn’t give the juniors a go. His daughters have since left and play elsewhere. They still haven’t been picked at their new club. So whether this was just sour grapes from my mate or his daughters are just not good enough, I don’t know. Soward’s sacking was pretty swift though. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Worse bit is we have lost our 2 biggest forwards to the Dogs, our selected back 3 this week, i know we ran a different team on, Rey, Lendill, Koster, all good players, but combined weight of a feather duster..
Shining light this year was Kasey Reh, Teagan Berry literally our only threat in attack. Our Wingers average, centres are not threatening, small forwards, average squad.
Not sure how far off the other Illawarra Harvey Norman cup team squad is from playing NRLW, we will need to buy some big forwards if we don't have anything coming through as justadragon said..
Just remembered, Margo Vella and McGrath-West are due back from injury so that's an improvement..

justadragon

Bench
Worse bit is we have lost our 2 biggest forwards to the Dogs, our selected back 3 this week, i know we ran a different team on, Rey, Lendill, Koster, all good players, but combined weight of a feather duster..
Shining light this year was Kasey Reh, Teagan Berry literally our only threat in attack. Our Wingers average, centres are not threatening, small forwards, average squad.
Not sure how far off the other Illawarra Harvey Norman cup team squad is from playing NRLW, we will need to buy some big forwards if we don't have anything coming through as justadragon said..
Just remembered, Margo Vella and McGrath-West are due back from injury so that's an improvement..
Totally agree mate, like watching that game was just painful, surely we have the best junior women in the league, and whilst I hate saying this the women need to be big boppers, look at the Bronco's centre and some of their forwards it looked like we were scared to tackle them, I must admit trying to stop their centre would have scared me. So its either start investing or fall by the wayside. My question is why do the Panthers with their junior league not have a NRLW team, I bet when they finally do they will be flying high.

Dragon David

First Grade
Except for the Dragons SG Ball team, men and women teams weren't at all much chop overall.

Hopefully the club has noted this in bold for the years ahead. New coaches, bigger and faster players. Players with brains and attention to detail and know how to read how the game is flowing and where it can be won. Like in any sport as a player you test where the weaknesses are and you play where that weakness is. It is too obvious but when I see players just run a few steps, catch the ball, tuck it under the arm and run into the opposing player and try and break a tackle. What has that attacking player achieved. If I am a 110kg bopper and am just being robotic, I don't achieve much by just doing that but if I am that guy looking at the structure of the defence - I would quickly dart over to the area where I could see the weakness and call for the ball and charge at that weaker area even though I am not running in the middle.

I hope I'm making some sense and if not I am sorry. Coaches need to get the players to use their noggin a lot. Not just do what they have been doing for years and years. Think like a half back, think like a winger, think like a centre. Just do more that's all that is needed. Easy for me to say and being nearly 78. Surely at say 26-28 years old, guys with brains can do lots in sport if fitter and faster and resilient. That is what they are trained to do.

justadragon

Bench
Not sure she is coaching. But she is doing everything else.
Dont know about this, taking a player straight out of the game to be the overall manager, the Dragons NRLW are in a bit of bother atm, I suppose we should give her a chance she is going to need a lot of support I reckon.

BLM01

First Grade
Dont know about this, taking a player straight out of the game to be the overall manager, the Dragons NRLW are in a bit of bother atm, I suppose we should give her a chance she is going to need a lot of support I reckon.
She has been a target for a while to get her back because of presence with the girls, I hinted this without a name a few weeks ago but I thought it was for coach or coaching staff.
In her prime she is the best attacking player the Dragons girls have had
I am still betting the coach will be another in house or ex player female and the same for one of the assistants.
This is the Dragons way but the right ones I dont mind for the NRLW. Kezzie Apps? may not be far away

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
She is not the HC
"Samantha Bremner to the club in the pivotal role of Female Football Manager....
Starting on November 1, Bremner will oversee the club’s women’s football program, taking charge of the overall pathways and coaching structure, working on the development of the next generation of female rugby league stars right through to the shaping of the Dragons’ NRLW roster
"

Not having a go at Sam, but what are her qualifications for such a "pivotal" role and shaping the roster?

BLM01

First Grade
"Samantha Bremner to the club in the pivotal role of Female Football Manager....
Starting on November 1, Bremner will oversee the club’s women’s football program, taking charge of the overall pathways and coaching structure, working on the development of the next generation of female rugby league stars right through to the shaping of the Dragons’ NRLW roster
"

Not having a go at Sam, but what are her qualifications for such a "pivotal" role and shaping the roster?
Football Manager looks after the girls around game day, training and outside if they need help and support if studying, finding accom and getting them to transistion from amateur to pro football.
She has a high rapport with a lot of girls of all ages throughout our region for some time having started her journey from the Helensburgh Tigers and her time with us
She also is well regarded by her peers and she will be looked up to by pathways girls.
She will obviously be part of the go to for the coaching decisions on the right coaching support staff.
Will she do a good job?. Dont know. Hope so but the NRLW is in its infancy but you have have to take a punt on good well connect people
What was Sowies credentials in coaching?..let alone girls
I think her 12 years at top level in the game is credentialed enough. I know some girls who will stay for 2025 are happy by this.
Time will tell.

CozDragon

Juniors
Football Manager looks after the girls around game day, training and outside if they need help and support if studying, finding accom and getting them to transistion from amateur to pro football.
She has a high rapport with a lot of girls of all ages throughout our region for some time having started her journey from the Helensburgh Tigers and her time with us
She also is well regarded by her peers and she will be looked up to by pathways girls.
She will obviously be part of the go to for the coaching decisions on the right coaching support staff.
Will she do a good job?. Dont know. Hope so but the NRLW is in its infancy but you have have to take a punt on good well connect people
What was Sowies credentials in coaching?..let alone girls
I think her 12 years at top level in the game is credentialed enough. I know some girls who will stay for 2025 are happy by this.
Time will tell.
I also think she will help us immensely on the negotiation table with potential signings. We may see some marquee players return or new ones sign with us with her involved.

I think Sam will have a positive effect on the club and don't mind the signing at all. As you say, i wouldn't be surprised if Apps ends up returning to be involved in the coaching staff when her tigers stint is over. Similarly to Sam she is one of the OGs and is highly respected amongst her peers, she is also very close with Sam.

BLM01

First Grade
I also think she will help us immensely on the negotiation table with potential signings. We may see some marquee players return or new ones sign with us with her involved.

I think Sam will have a positive effect on the club and don't mind the signing at all. As you say, i wouldn't be surprised if Apps ends up returning to be involved in the coaching staff when her tigers stint is over. Similarly to Sam she is one of the OGs and is highly respected amongst her peers, she is also very close with Sam.
They all played together at Helensburgh along with Sergis and Pearson and a few others

CozDragon

Juniors
They all played together at Helensburgh along with Sergis and Pearson and a few others
Hopefully she can talk Sergis into coming back, could do with a strike centre, though she spends more time on the sidelines than she does on the field these days. Bring a few of the roosters girls with her.