What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You'll enjoy this....

Bulldogs must target Tim

11 August 2005

The first of three explosive round 23 Telstra Premiership encounters will feature the Bulldogs carrying on where they left off in their pursuit of unsettling the game's next big thing, Tim Smith. Story by Ben Blaschke.

They've lost lost consecutive games to teams ranked 14 and 15, are battered by injury and could slip three points out of the top eight if they lose to second-placed Parramatta this Friday night, but Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes has warned the Eels will write his side off at their own peril.

Despite halfback Brent Sherwin joining the side's growing casualty list when he fractured his thumb during last Saturday night's loss to Newcastle, Folkes said the Bulldogs held the wood over their traditional rivals and would target Parramatta's rookie half Tim Smith after downing the Eels 30-16 in similar circumstances in round eight.

"I think most halfbacks are targeted but we put him (Smith) under pressure in the first round and he kicked the ball out on the full a couple of times and was put off, so I'm sure we’ll ask him some questions again on Friday night," said Folkes.

"I think it was a reasonably similar situation last time we played them – they were coming off a winning streak and we were coming off a couple of losses.

"And we just had a good night that night. Our defence is obviously something we pride ourselves on and we've had some major deficiencies there the past two weeks but I believe that if we defend well the rest will follow."

The Bulldogs missed a golden opportunity to slip into eighth spot last weekend when upset 28-13 by wooden spoon favourites Newcastle, but Folkes said the reigning premiers still had what it takes to win the comp.

Incredibly, TAB Sportsbet still has the Bulldogs quoted as fourth favourites at $9 to defend their title.

"I think people realise what we're capable of if we make the eight and that we’re still in touch with the eight," said Folkes.

"The fact we've been there before and done the job shows we've got what it takes to do it.

"So yeah, we can win the comp, but first thing's first – we need to make the eight and before that we need to win this week.

"But there's no reason why we can't win it.

"I'm looking forward to the game against Parramatta actually – it will be a sell-out I would think and it will be a good crowd out there.

"We've enjoyed a rivalry with Parra for a long time and we've enjoyed a good record against them too. We haven't lost to them recently."

I don't need to say a word, do i?

Latest posts