What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your favorite Dragons buy for this year

redvscotty

First Grade
Weymann for sure. Was a little apprehensive last year when they announced the buy but then I thought about him making Conn cry about being punched in the face. In a game of footy. A 2nd rower cried about his modelling career because he was punched the f**k out.

Brain snap or not it shows the guy is not afraid and will consequently run at anything.

And it;s showing already this year.

Mr Red

First Grade
smith for sure.
his defense is like a rock - he stopped ball runners dead in their tracks on the weekend, where last season those same runners would puncture the line and allow a quick play the ball, and then get a roll on..
its the little things like that which turn a team around.

boyd and weyman have also been good.

Changa

Juniors
Obviously Smith and Weyman but I think Boyds positional play at the back has been superb and is much quicker than I first took him for. Priddis has also shown his value and should be starting.

tevoro

First Grade
It would have to be:

1 - Bennett - Without him, most of our offseason buys wouldn't be here this year. Brings a lot more disapline and respect than we got with Brown. Just wait till those set moves click into gear!
2 - Weyman - Has been going hard and straight these 2 weeks and gaining space for our backline. Unfortunately our backline hasnt been using the extra space as well as I hoped.
3 - Smith - Rock solid in defence and brings an intimidating look to our pack. Controlled aggression.
4 - Boyd - At first, I thought he was over rated at the Broncos but now, I think he is underrated and faster than I give him credit for. And like the others have said, needs to run straight!
5 - Costigan - This guy will return to top form under Bennett and will be a force to be reckoned with
6 - Pridis - Shows us what we have been missing at hooker lately. Needs more game time.

Head - Would love to see the little guy get a run. And hopefully not at the expense of someones injury.

j0nesy

Bench
Weyman, under the assumption that we didn't pay too much for him. I had hoped he'd come of age under Bennett. So far so good.

brokendigit

Juniors
Jeremy Smith. He's added a lot of starch in attack and defence.

I'm really happy with how well Weyman is going, but he's only one suspension or injury (touching wood) away from being questionable value. If he can stay away from rehab & judiciary, and continue to play like he is, he might well become the best buy for ANY club this year...

Karmichael Hunt will end up being the best 'signing' of 2009... What a 5/8 he'll make in the Red V.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
i'm thinking my favourite buy for the year could very well be this:

00000135-image.jpg

hardbaby

Coach
Great news...so many it is hard to tell.
I loved Ryles. He copped sh*t all the time but he was hard and had a mega work rate and good skills. The perfect prop.
I was very concerned when he announced his departure.
I rate Poore but we needed more than that.
The Dragons needed Weyman to go well and man, has he ever.
Stats don't lie and he is looking like the buy of the season.
Having said that Smith is a brilliant fooballer and an amazing buy.
Costigan is agro and clever and a massive asset to the pack.
Boyd was a good replacement for Gaz and more of a team player.
I reckon Head will be a good option as well.
So guess what, we bought really bloody well in the off season.
The pack, in particular is sweet as.
P.S. the best buy was actually Bennett.

big pat

Coach
so far it would have to be weyman and smith, both these guys have been putting some big hits on, also i was a bit critical of boyd, but after last week, it won't be too long to see him firing as well.