What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your GB 17 for the France test ?

Leek UK

Juniors
Heres mine -

1 Michael Platt - Wellens would be 1st choice but would love to see Platt playing,a great attacking fullback and always grabs a try.

2 Ade Gardner - Played against a weakened NZ team last year but he needs to be brought in now Carneys gone to RU,has proved himself in the Big games,can he do it at test level? He has the speed and size.

3 Ryan Atkins - Gleeson would be the 1st choice Right Centre,however Atkins is a young solid centre and would be worth place.

4 Kirk Yeaman - Can he have a big game and claim Keith Seniors left centre spot?

5 Martin Aspinwall - Has been outstanding for the Giants this season,Needs to be on the starting GB side.Better than Raynor or Hodgson.

6 Leon Pryce - Is a regular but id team him up with Rob Burrow and see how they gel? would this solve GBs half back problem?

7 Rob Burrow - outstanding in SL but never given the chance for GB due to us going for the tried and tested (Long,Deacon)

8 Nick Fozzard - One of the standout props in SL this season,deserves a shot and a good game would surely put him in contention for a place in the winter Vs the Kiwis.

9 Ryan Hudson - Outstanding for the Giants this season,hes come back with a bang and deserves a shot,we dont need to play Roby,Newton or Higham as we have seen these for Gb before.

10 Sam Burgess - SLs best young forward at present,at 19 hes got size on his side and is going to be a GB regular for years to come.

11 JJ Buchanan - Undersung hero at Leeds,a workhorse and very experienced.Deserves a chance.

12 Stephen Wild - Jon Sharp says hes like Nathan Hindmarsh,a freak who covers every blade of grass on the field,on this seasons form hes a better option than Gareth Hock.

13 Jamie Langley - Never really had the chance for GB mainly due to injury,a huge loose forward who we need to look at.The tried and tested (Sculthorpe) are past test Rugby,we need the likes of Langley.

Bench ------------------------------------------------------

14 Eorl Crabtree - Mountain of a man,causing teams in SL havoc this season with his strong running.

15 Paul Wood - Fast,pacy prop forward who has been in the GB squad before but never got any game time.

16 Ben Westwood - Similar player to Wild,a workhorse who never stops.

17 Jordan Tansey - Multi skilled Leeds youngster who can cover most positions,has great pace.

Pick your teams.

coldhardbitch

Juniors
I like the look of that team. Tony Smith said he wanted to try some younger faces. No recognised goalkicker in your lineup though.

I'll have a go at a team

1. Wellens
2. Gardner
3. Kirk Yeaman (Gibson if he was fit)
4. Pryce (Matt Cook if he was fit)
5. Melling
6. Rooney
7. Burrow
8. Crabtree
9. Hudson
10. Peacock
11. J Graham
12. Ellis
13. Sinfield

14. Roby
15. Hock
16. R Bailey
17. S Burgess

This is definiteley one of the poorest GB squads on record, but young and shows promise. This is the reason why the amount of overseas players in the Super LEague is derrimental to the game over there.

There is hardly any outside backs, and I really had to struggle to come up with this team. Until club bosses and the RFL have a seismic shift in thoughts, GB will continue to struggle, as they have absolutely no depth in quality players.

Leek UK

Juniors
coldhardbitch said:
I like the look of that team. Tony Smith said he wanted to try some younger faces. No recognised goalkicker in your lineup though.

I'll have a go at a team

1. Wellens
2. Gardner
3. Kirk Yeaman (Gibson if he was fit)
4. Pryce (Matt Cook if he was fit)
5. Melling
6. Rooney
7. Burrow
8. Crabtree
9. Hudson
10. Peacock
11. J Graham
12. Ellis
13. Sinfield

14. Roby
15. Hock
16. R Bailey
17. S Burgess

This is definiteley one of the poorest GB squads on record, but young and shows promise. This is the reason why the amount of overseas players in the Super LEague is derrimental to the game over there.

There is hardly any outside backs, and I really had to struggle to come up with this team. Until club bosses and the RFL have a seismic shift in thoughts, GB will continue to struggle, as they have absolutely no depth in quality players.
I would use Rob Burrow as the Goalkicker,he is Leeds 2nd choice behind Sinfield and does a good job when called on.
Wellens,peacock,ellis? id not bother going with these as we know what they can do,they were probably Britains best 3 players in the Tri-Nations last year.
Stephen Wild is outstanding,he really covers every yard on the pitch and id choose him over Hock,Hocks trouble is his discipline,if he couls wipe that from his game hed be a world beater.
Sinfield is tried and tested but a good club player.
Melling ? Not seen enough of him so cant really say.
Ryan Bailey has been solid for Leeds and is very aggressive.
I like your team,it shows you have an intrest in our comp.
The outside backs are a problem,i think now our 1st choice wingers would be Gardner and Aspinwall.Centres will probably be Gleeson and Senior with Yeaman as back up,maybe Ryan Atkins of Wakefield will be there abouts.My 1st choice 17 for the Kiwis game will be -
1 wellens
2 Gardner
3 Gleeson
4 Senior
5 Aspinwall
6 Pryce
7 Burrow
8 Fozzard
9 Roby
10 Peacock
11 Wild
12 Ellis
13 Langley
---------------
14 Fielden
15 Morley
16 Wilkin
17 McGuire

bartman

Immortal
22nd June actually. Expect that the initial squad will be announced on Monday?

bartman

Immortal
Actually, Tony Smith's GB squad (23 players?) will be named on Tuesday 12 June.

teamGB

Juniors
how about paul sykes from quins?? after a rocky start he is realy hitting form. my team would be.

1.Briscoe- wellens no1 but we have no, blooded, cover for him
2.Aspinwall- good form
3.Sykes- good form
4.Atkins- good young prospect, yeaman needs a kick up the arse he is playing poorly
5.Hodgeson- excellent player in a poor salford team
6. Pryce- start forming a good halfback combo with burrow
7. Burrow- see above
8.Peacock- Captain and plays brilliantly in the GB shirt
9.Roby- form
10.Sam Burgess- Blood a young prop for GB
11.Ellis- Good player
12.JAmie Jones Buchanon- work horse- good form
13.Sinfield- give him a shot. goalkicker

14. Hudson- On form- interchange with Roby
15. Hock- good player wen keeps disaplined
16. Michael Platt- Fullback, Centre, wing cover. good form for the bulls
17. Fozzard. He is getting on now but reward for good form .

I put them both on the bench.
1. Paul Wellens
2. Martin Aspinwall
3. Stephen Wild
4. Keith Senior
5. Gareth Raynor
6. Leon Pryce
7. Rob Burrow
8. Gareth Carvell
9. Ryan Hudson
10. Jamie Peacock
11. Gareth Ellis
12. Jon Wilkin
13. Kevin Sinfield

14. Eorl Crabtree
15. James Graham
16. James Roby
17. Jamie Jones-Buchanan

bartman

Immortal
Kris Radlinksi retired (again), after coming out of retirement to help Wigan get a few much needed wins mid-last season.

Paul Sculthorpe is still playing after some injury concerns, I'd imagine that like Fielden, Peacock and Senior he has been told he won't be selected for this match, as the new coach tries some new blood in the side.

bartman

Immortal
I'd be willing to guess that He along with Senior, Fielden and possibly more are being let down the gentle way by Tony Smith through this game, and (hopefully) allowing him to then pick the end of season team on season form not reputation - with some extra people getting GB experience in this team that he can then more easily choose among and "promote".

bartman

Immortal
Here's the squad:

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=14051

Great Britain 23-man squad for France Test:
Kevin Brown
Rob Burrow
Gareth Carvell
Jon Clarke
Andrew Coley
Gareth Ellis
Ade Gardner
James Graham
Gareth Hock
David Hodgson
Jamie Langley
Andy Lynch
Danny McGuire
Chris Melling
Adrian Morley
Sean O'Loughlin
James Roby
Kevin Sinfield
Paul Sykes
Chris Thorman
Stephen Wild
Jon Wilkin
Kirk Yeaman

Coastbloke

Bench
Kurt Angle said:
Mate... France has a very good chance of thumping that squad.

Hey Kurt, I hope so.

That would be great. :D :D

However, I fear a media story about a French upset rather than a fantastic win from a rugby league country back on the way up..... :x :x

Having said that.....Go France.......!!

Latest posts