What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Halves Have to Dig into the Defensive Line

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
OK folks, after a 2 year break from the forum I've decided to rejoin. I had become so despondent with McGregor and the BOD who were backing him that I felt that after 50 years of loving the Red V that I might be done.

Anyway... I have been watching Norman and Hunt the last few years and trying to get my head around the issues with them and Andrew Johns recently said on a podcast that your halves have to dig into the line and engage the defence before they can ball play. This necessitates that at times your 6 and 7 will get smashed but that is the price to play if you want to lead the team around. Simply put; Hunt has lifted this year because he is digging into the line and asking the defence to make a decision whereas Norman is not. Defending against Norman is pretty simple really. He drift across field and passes laterally before engaging the defence meaning the defence simple slide across with him. It is like the batsmen who starts getting worried about being hit by the short ball. Once this is in your head you are finished. Norman would be a a lethal touch footy player but he is shot because he will not engage the defence. Think Anthony Milford. He simply will not dig into the line. He passes 5 meters before the defensive line and that just lets the defence slide laterally. Think Luke Brooks and also think Mitchell Moses WHEN Parramatta is behind. And why is Kieran Foran so shot now? Because for 6-7 years he fearlessly dug into the defensive line. He is beaten up.

Think about how excited we got when Jayden Sullivan debuted last year as a 19 year old against the Storm. He raced into the line and got smashed a few times but kept engaging. Finally, finally we might have a kid willing to have a go, hit the ball straight and then look to play from there. Watch Munster when he plays...straight into the line and then look to go.

Norman is cooked and not because he is not talented; he is. He is cooked because he has lost the nerve to engage. No real shame in that (except he on on major coin) but it is time to move on right now. Today. Like right now. At 29 years of age he isn't suddenly going to find his courage pills. He is not finished due to a lack of ability, he is finished because he has lost his nerve.

We need young hungry kids who will dig deeply into the line and then look to play. Jayden Sullivan is that hungry kid.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
OK folks, after a 2 year break from the forum I've decided to rejoin. I had become so despondent with McGregor and the BOD who were backing him that I felt that after 50 years of loving the Red V that I might be done.

Anyway... I have been watching Norman and Hunt the last few years and trying to get my head around the issues with them and Andrew Johns recently said on a podcast that your halves have to dig into the line and engage the defence before they can ball play. This necessitates that at times your 6 and 7 will get smashed but that is the price to play if you want to lead the team around. Simply put; Hunt has lifted this year because he is digging into the line and asking the defence to make a decision whereas Norman is not. Defending against Norman is pretty simple really. He drift across field and passes laterally before engaging the defence meaning the defence simple slide across with him. It is like the batsmen who starts getting worried about being hit by the short ball. Once this is in your head you are finished. Norman would be a a lethal touch footy player but he is shot because he will not engage the defence. Think Anthony Milford. He simply will not dig into the line. He passes 5 meters before the defensive line and that just lets the defence slide laterally. Think Luke Brooks and also think Mitchell Moses WHEN Parramatta is behind. And why is Kieran Foran so shot now? Because for 6-7 years he fearlessly dug into the defensive line. He is beaten up.

Think about how excited we got when Jayden Sullivan debuted last year as a 19 year old against the Storm. He raced into the line and got smashed a few times but kept engaging. Finally, finally we might have a kid willing to have a go, hit the ball straight and then look to play from there. Watch Munster when he plays...straight into the line and then look to go.

Norman is cooked and not because he is not talented; he is. He is cooked because he has lost the nerve to engage. No real shame in that (except he on on major coin) but it is time to move on right now. Today. Like right now. At 29 years of age he isn't suddenly going to find his courage pills. He is not finished due to a lack of ability, he is finished because he has lost his nerve.

We need young hungry kids who will dig deeply into the line and then look to play. Jayden Sullivan is that hungry kid.

Hi Rob
Welcome back to the forum, a lot has changed since you last were here, the biggest being no Mc85, can't blame you for checking out.

Anyways agree with what you've said. Hunt has had a go this year and hats off to him for that. Norman on the other hand just seems to be happy to vollect his paycheque each month, nowing it's probably his last year at NRL at least in Australia.
A lot of young stars around at the moment ane like in the Roosters game today sometimes they falter, however, i remember one Nathan Cleary was the same, just look at him now.

I'm sure both Bud and Junior will star for us soon, we havevto accept they will make some mistakes, have a bad game or two, but if 1 or both can become as lethal as Clery and Lui there will be happy times ahead. We just have to navigate it the right way and I'm sure Hook is the right mentor to do that.

blacksafake

First Grade

Good post Rob & welcome back.
Your point re Foran is :100: & Hunt has really stood up.

Dragsters

First Grade

When fit, Bud must come straight in at 6, no ifs, no buts...

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Welcome back Rob....good post as well.....your absolutely spot on with your summation of Norman....he is very reluctant to engage the defensive line and on most occassions when in possession he just drfts sideways and virtually hands the ball to the recipient which in turns either gets hammered or just takes the tackle because he is flat footed....we all know he is getting his wages for very little input these days but sadly his coaches past and present simply refuse to replace him...atm we are down on troops so some are saying thats what is keeping him from getting the shaft..Even though we now have a new Coach.I very much doubt that is the case because he will just keep getting picked week in week out...we witnessed it with Aitken and Lafai to name a few so Im not expecting any major shifts at present under our new leader....it appears to be a Dragon thing for want of a better phrase.....its the main area of concern for our team at present but Im not holding my breath

Last edited:

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Norman does occasionally take on the line. But now I think of it it seems to be only in games like Bulldogs and Knights. Seems to hold back against the more potent sides.

BBTB

Juniors
Good post RobD.
The unfortunate thing about keeping Norman in the team,is his Cowardly attitude.
Similar to the rotten apple in the barrel syndrome.....

thebigredv

First Grade
Great post Rob. For a while we the fans gave the halves leeway on the basis our forwards weren't doing their job. Now that Vaughan and Lawrie are doing the job well Hunt has gone to a new level but Norman just hanging around to collect a paycheck. He doesn't put his body on the line.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Welcome back Rob D and a great analogy of Norman. Whilst it’s great that the club rid itself of the previous Peanut of a coach during your hiatus, we are still left with his skid marks in Norman.
Not only does he not dig into the defensive line, he generally does not even have a dig at all.
The sooner our club sees the back of him & he departs the better we will be. He has proven to be a overpriced & overrated monumental failure.

Latest posts